The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
congratulations!! what subject was this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was in classical arabic (edexcel)
AQA reassured me about English language remarking :smile: . ImageUploadedByStudent Room1409068476.929250.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any advice for English Lit (CIE)?

Predicted A/A*, but only attained a C. School confirms 3 marks off a B, and 6 marks off a D ( I don't know what this is in UMS - the only information I was given, was from the teacher). With such tight grade boundaries, is it worth a re-mark in the hope of a B?

Does anyone know if universities take English Lit into account when applying for courses (English Lang result - A*) - would be hoping for a science based course, preferably at a Russell Group Uni.

Thank you for any help
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pen2Paper
Any advice for English Lit (CIE)?

Predicted A/A*, but only attained a C. School confirms 3 marks of a B, and 6 marks of a D. With such tight grade boundaries, is it worth a re-mark in the hope of a B?

Does anyone know if universities take English Lit into account when applying for courses (English Lang result - A*) - would be hoping for a science based course, preferably at a Russell Group Uni.

If you want to do better, remark. If you felt you did better, remark. If you feel as though your answers were of a Grade C level, which is probably very literal and obvious, then don't remark.

You're hoping to do a science-based course, so your English grade won't bother them too much. Plus, you have an A* in English Language, which speaks for itself. Russell Group Unis will see more significance in your A Levels, anyways, and only use GCSE Results as one part of your application. So whatever you do, you're still on a good platform, providing you do well at A Level, to get into a top university, regardless of your C in literature. If, however, you attain a D, the story might be different.

Whatever happens, do what you think is right and use your own instinct. At this stage, only you - not your teachers - can know how you think you did and if you feel as though you should have got more, then remark, or else you might regret it later on. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
AQA reassured me about English language remarking :smile: . ImageUploadedByStudent Room1409068476.929250.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's good! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to do better, remark. If you felt you did better, remark. If you feel as though your answers were of a Grade C level, which is probably very literal and obvious, then don't remark.....

Whatever happens, do what you think is right and use your own instinct. At this stage, only you - not your teachers - can know how you think you did and if you feel as though you should have got more, then remark, or else you might regret it later on. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you King. Overall feeling, is that the work produced on the day, was worth at least a B, but as the paper is so subjective, it is difficult to tell. It was a complete shock to get a C.

Thank you for your help.
Hey guys,

considering remarking my AQA French. I am 4 UMS off the next boundary out of 300 UMS. I would be remarking speaking and writing. What do you guys think? I am 26 UMS off grade below, so worth a go?
Original post by JustAGuyy
Hey guys,

considering remarking my AQA French. I am 4 UMS off the next boundary out of 300 UMS. I would be remarking speaking and writing. What do you guys think? I am 26 UMS off grade below, so worth a go?

Can you remark your speaking and writing seeing as they're coursework? Wouldn't your school have to send everyone's off?
Original post by Sarah Bethany
Can you remark your speaking and writing seeing as they're coursework? Wouldn't your school have to send everyone's off?

see i'm not sure, on the AQA website it says MFL speaking can be remarked and others seem to think you can? I'm really not sure :s-smilie:
see i'm not sure, on the AQA website it says MFL speaking can be remarked and others seem to think you can? I'm really not sure :s-smilie:

Hmm...maybe then! I haven't been told, just an assumption haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

The writing can be remarked, because it was never marked by your teacher, and instead, it was all sent to an examiner who marked it. Your teacher may have just given you an estimated mark, so they can base predictions and know who may need to retake. When it's sent to the examiner, however, they have no knowledge of your teachers' marks: they just mark it, just the way an exam is marked. Hence, you can remark Unit 4 writing.

However, unit 3 is a coursework unit. It is marked by your teachers and then standardised through moderation by AQA, so since it is only moderated, you can't change your marks for the speaking. The only way moderated marks will change is through a remoderation, in which AQA check the moderator's marks. But you cannot check only your speaking marks to see if they're accurate: your centre will have to check everyone's.

So, in a nutshell, you can remark the writing, but not the speaking (if you're with AQA), as you do say in the post I'm replying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The writing can be remarked, because it was never marked by your teacher, and instead, it was all sent to an examiner who marked it. Your teacher may have just given you an estimated mark, so they can base predictions and know who may need to retake. When it's sent to the examiner, however, they have no knowledge of your teachers' marks: they just mark it, just the way an exam is marked. Hence, you can remark Unit 4 writing.

However, unit 3 is a coursework unit. It is marked by your teachers and then standardised through moderation by AQA, so since it is only moderated, you can't change your marks for the speaking. The only way moderated marks will change is through a remoderation, in which AQA check the moderator's marks. But you cannot check only your speaking marks to see if they're accurate: your centre will have to check everyone's.

So, in a nutshell, you can remark the writing, but not the speaking (if you're with AQA), as you do say in the post I'm replying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much kingaaran, your information is really helpful! Just one thing, click on the link below and scroll down to the bottom. When it says you can request these for MFL speaking, do you think this is just a level or?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/post-results/enquiries-about-results

Cheers!
Thanks so much kingaaran, your information is really helpful! Just one thing, click on the link below and scroll down to the bottom. When it says you can request these for MFL speaking, do you think this is just a level or?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/post-results/enquiries-about-results

Cheers!

It's saying that you can receive a recording of your speaking assessment - not a remark. It's not generally for students, though, unless your work was sent off the exam board for moderation, as they wouldn't have it otherwise. I wouldn't recommend paying for this though, as it is rather pointless, simply because you probably go to your school and ask for a recording for free.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 333
Original post by ilovecake123
I am 1 ums off a* overall in wjec eng language
should i get a remark?
is wjec known to give another mark?
thanks!
any help would be appreciated!

All exam boards are known to give more marks following a remark. :tongue: It's up to you - you may as well I'd say as you're so close but it's up to you. :smile:

Hey guys,

It depends on how it was marked. If it was first marked by a teacher and then sent off for moderation, then the whole centre's will need to be remarked but if it was marked externally, then a remark can be requested. :smile:
Sorry for just asking and not contributing to the thread, BUT:

I was 4 UMS off the A* for my English Literature GCSE, and I was expected an A* (got full marks in the coursework). Would it be worth a remark for the 2 exams?

Cheers for any answers
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
Sorry for just asking and not contributing to the thread, BUT:

I was 4 UMS off the A* for my English Literature GCSE, and I was expected an A* (got full marks in the coursework). Should I get a remark for my exams?

Cheers for any answers

Yes! I would, in fact, I am :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! I would, in fact, I am :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hesitate because it's 65 quid for 2 exams
Original post by StrangeBanana
I hesitate because it's 65 quid for 2 exams

Yeah... But you don't have to pay if your grade changes...
I'd also talk to your teacher or someone first to see whether they think you should remark both exams or just one

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I found out my French writing is externally assessed rather than teacher assessed like I thought before, does this mean I can get a remark? Or will it still require all candidates to get their writings remarked :smile:
Original post by kdizzle97
I found out my French writing is externally assessed rather than teacher assessed like I thought before, does this mean I can get a remark? Or will it still require all candidates to get their writings remarked :smile:

That means you can get a remark :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest