The Student Room Group

For art students applying for universities in 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by betweentheclocks
My main passions are painting and textiles! Yeah, I guess, but I don't think I'm ready to move away yet. Who knows, maybe I'll feel better in the second year, because I know sometimes you can transfer your course to another uni for a similar reason.
I looked around BCU's website and they seem so lovely and friendly. I was going to apply to Oxford, but it's all so official and the interviews are really serious and that's not really what I want in a uni, so :rolleyes:

Yeah, i hear you on that one, i have a few friends doing the same and yeah, i was gonna apply for a uni in oxford but the people are so snobby when it comes to art students :frown:
Original post by Theblackguy
Yeah, i went there in November, it was really good. its like they all knew what they were doing and whats the first

Yes it's good, have u ever visited norwich?
Original post by andrea1995ri
I'll be mine too, the uni is very cool such as the city, I've had a tour there and everybody was very helpful giving advice and things like that.. It's the second best uni for the graphic design course in uk!

I second what Theblackguy (feels weird calling you that haha) said... what's the no 1 best graphic design course in the UK? I haven't been able to find a definitive list :/

Oh and thanks for sharing your experiences! It's really useful to know before I plan visits myself, as it's going to be quite expensive I think...
Original post by charlottei
I second what Theblackguy (feels weird calling you that haha) said... what's the no 1 best graphic design course in the UK? I haven't been able to find a definitive list :/

Oh and thanks for sharing your experiences! It's really useful to know before I plan visits myself, as it's going to be quite expensive I think...

Yes I know but what I mean is that Bournemouth was really amazing, the best I've seen (I saw Canterbury, Brighton, Bristol, Falmouth, Plymouth, Derby, York, Coventry, UCA) and the last one, UCA, was really ****ty compared to the other ones. So, basically this ranking list (http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-design-and-crafts) is 80% true. Think what u wanna think but this is my opinion
Yes it's good, have u ever visited norwich?

I haven't but i'll love to go but i really haven't got that kind of money to travel to all choices, i only really went to aub because my class was invited.
I haven't but i'll love to go but i really haven't got that kind of money to travel to all choices, i only really went to aub because my class was invited.

Are you from UK?
Are you from UK?
Yeah i am lol, i'm from north london
Yeah i am lol, i'm from north london

Ow that's good, can't you take a train to Norwich? It is not so far away

haha, its alright. Call me what ever you want lol and yeah, I cant afford to travel to all open days (i changed my choices, all of them are out of London, so that makes it harder) btw whats your first choice
Ow that's good, can't you take a train to Norwich? It is not so far away

yeah true but film course modules aren't attracting me. You said you was from Italy, are you there now, planning to come over next year or are you already here
yeah true but film course modules aren't attracting me. You said you was from Italy, are you there now, planning to come over next year or are you already here

I'm in Italy, I'm moving to Bristol next week to attend an english course… I've to di an exam to being accepted to the uni
I'm in Italy, I'm moving to Bristol next week to attend an english course… I've to di an exam to being accepted to the uni

Well good luck on the exam when it comes and if both get end up going to aub next year, ill buy you a drink (sounds weird i know haha)
Well good luck on the exam when it comes and if both get end up going to aub next year, ill buy you a drink (sounds weird i know haha)

I'll appreciate it, they have a nice bar ahaha :wink: see u next year (maybe)
Yes I know but what I mean is that Bournemouth was really amazing, the best I've seen (I saw Canterbury, Brighton, Bristol, Falmouth, Plymouth, Derby, York, Coventry, UCA) and the last one, UCA, was really ****ty compared to the other ones. So, basically this ranking list (http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-design-and-crafts) is 80% true. Think what u wanna think but this is my opinion

Oh right, thanks very much for that list! I hadn't seen that before, I bet it will be useful. :smile:

haha, its alright. Call me what ever you want lol and yeah, I cant afford to travel to all open days (i changed my choices, all of them are out of London, so that makes it harder) btw whats your first choice

I'm up in the North of England (not quite as far as Italy, but still!) so Bournemouth/Falmouth/Portsmouth/Hertfordshire etc are going to be extremely expensive to travel to unfortunately. Hopefully I'll be able to see at least a couple of them though!

At the moment, I'm torn between Falmouth & Bournemouth for my first choice :/ I keep switching between them though! I really admire Bournemouth's reputation and everything but I've seen some of Falmouth's work which has just amazed me.
Oh right, thanks very much for that list! I hadn't seen that before, I bet it will be useful. :smile:

I'm up in the North of England (not quite as far as Italy, but still!) so Bournemouth/Falmouth/Portsmouth/Hertfordshire etc are going to be extremely expensive to travel to unfortunately. Hopefully I'll be able to see at least a couple of them though!

At the moment, I'm torn between Falmouth & Bournemouth for my first choice :/ I keep switching between them though! I really admire Bournemouth's reputation and everything but I've seen some of Falmouth's work which has just amazed me.

That's so weird :confused: i did research yesterday and i redone my choices and Falmouth's on there and yeah i know what you mean, i've been on Falmouth's vimeo account and its really impressive.

but it has to be Bournemouth for me because of the reputation, because what makes the work at Falmouth is the students mostly.

Bournemouth has better links to the industry and it has great collaboration skills, such as if you're serious on becoming a graphic designer, you can team up with people from subjects such as animation and film production and you can add to your portfolio on your own time without having to wait on assignments being given out.
That's so weird :confused: i did research yesterday and i redone my choices and Falmouth's on there and yeah i know what you mean, i've been on Falmouth's vimeo account and its really impressive.

but it has to be Bournemouth for me because of the reputation, because what makes the work at Falmouth is the students mostly.

Bournemouth has better links to the industry and it has great collaboration skills, such as if you're serious on becoming a graphic designer, you can team up with people from subjects such as animation and film production and you can add to your portfolio on your own time without having to wait on assignments being given out.

Huh, it's interesting how you're in a similar position to me, considering our subjects are significantly different. I think the student work appeals to me because it says a lot about the teaching... and also the style of work you're encouraged to pursue, because Falmouth's is right up my street.

I didn't know about the collaboration at Bournemouth, actually, that sounds really cool. Especially since my boyfriend is looking at Animation at Bournemouth and although we already do help each other on projects already, an official collaboration would be incredible (yeah, I know it's a real long shot, but still)!

Haha I'm not going to worry about making a choice just yet... It's pretty unlikely I'll get into either university, never mind both!
How many works will you portfolio have? And which types of works?
Huh, it's interesting how you're in a similar position to me, considering our subjects are significantly different. I think the student work appeals to me because it says a lot about the teaching... and also the style of work you're encouraged to pursue, because Falmouth's is right up my street.

I didn't know about the collaboration at Bournemouth, actually, that sounds really cool. Especially since my boyfriend is looking at Animation at Bournemouth and although we already do help each other on projects already, an official collaboration would be incredible (yeah, I know it's a real long shot, but still)!

Haha I'm not going to worry about making a choice just yet... It's pretty unlikely I'll get into either university, never mind both!

lol i know right, I step up this thread to find people in the same position, its refreshing to know i'm not the only one thinking about this too early.

Tbh i felt the same about that, then i signed up to student room and started looking at similar threads that helped me alot. you just need to produce to the best of your ability and when it comes to the interview and writing the personal statement make sure your passion for the subject comes across clear.
Reply 38
Hey,

I am thinking AUB as well but was thinking more along the lines of animation. Anyone else thinking of that? And any idea if they require a portfolio as well ?
How many works will you portfolio have? And which types of works?

Um most of the universities seem to recommend 20-30, so about that. Might have to add things/take them out to suit each specific uni's requirements.

I think mine will be at least 70% graphic design and illustration, as that's what I'm best at, and then I'm going to attempt to do some painting/photography/life drawing as they like to see a variety for some reason!

Along with that I have a sketchbook/project book where I plan all of my pieces, which has loads of little notes, moodboards and concept sketches which I've heard is a good thing to show at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest