The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Current leicester uni student! Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

So I was foolish in my first semester of university, and now i'm having to retake two modules. i knew i was retaking from January, but no i was not going to start revising from then; i decided.

i started revision during the early times of the summer holiday, but due to family things, and personal things (sounds so excuse based ha) i never did as much revision as i should have...so i feel like i may.. (not even going to type it) *sadly.

Is there anyway you could like, go to uni into the next year even though you failed your retakes? i asked my tutor and he said i'd need to pass both modules in order to enter into the next year, but- e did say that if there's anything interfering with my studies- i should let him know just in case the unviersity could help or something.

I've got anxiety, and was diagnosed with that years ago. I haven't told the university that, because i never felt to. Would that possibly save me from not getting into uni if the worst were to be reality?

Thanks for reading.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by igcsecrazy
Yepp stayed at opal court for my first year :smile: was really good hahah

I'm going into my second year and I'll be staying in Opal Court. I've heard there are a lot of international students there, that's not an issue in itself obviously but I'm just a bit worried I'll end up with people who don't speak English and I won't get on with them!

I've never actually been to visit it, is it nice? :smile:
What stationery would you recommend? And are there any good places to eat on the campus?
Original post by rainbow.panda
I'm going into my second year and I'll be staying in Opal Court. I've heard there are a lot of international students there, that's not an issue in itself obviously but I'm just a bit worried I'll end up with people who don't speak English and I won't get on with them!

I've never actually been to visit it, is it nice? :smile:

Hmm yeah tbf my flatmates last year didn't speak english very well hahah! On the other hand I made a lot of friends from opal and they're all English! Just so happens that I was placed with people who didn't speak well haha. If ever you get placed with them too, you'll manage haha
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
What stationery would you recommend? And are there any good places to eat on the campus?

hmm pen and paper if you choose to handwrite your notes during lectures! Most people type on their laptops though haha so it's really up to you. Theres a stationary shop at the SU (Students Union) so you can get everything you need there! And yeah, well theres starbucks and a nice restaurant at the SU. Theres a canteen, various of cafes and a mini grocery place around the uni too :smile:
hmm pen and paper if you choose to handwrite your notes during lectures! Most people type on their laptops though haha so it's really up to you. Theres a stationary shop at the SU (Students Union) so you can get everything you need there! And yeah, well theres starbucks and a nice restaurant at the SU. Theres a canteen, various of cafes and a mini grocery place around the uni too :smile:

I was planning on handwriting my notes then typing them up, whilst also voice recording the lecture ... is this too much?
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
I was planning on handwriting my notes then typing them up, whilst also voice recording the lecture ... is this too much?

I reckon most people try doing that in the first few lectures but end up being too lazy hahaha! Its really up to, if thats the most effective way for you :smile: all powerpoints used in lectures will be up on blackboard (the uni's online platform) so you'll always get hold of them. But it may help to have the voice recordings too.
Reply 67
Leicester don't really have a campus do they? What's it like having to travel all over the city, from halls to lectures/other faculty buildings, to going out in the evening/at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
I REALLY wanna apply for the psychology course this year. I have strong As Grades but I am currently Retaking my math. I wanted to know if it is worth applying if I dont meet the GCSE requirements.
Original post by QueenSI
I REALLY wanna apply for the psychology course this year. I have strong As Grades but I am currently Retaking my math. I wanted to know if it is worth applying if I dont meet the GCSE requirements.

Just go for it! Theres no harm in trying right? I don't know what the exact GCSE requirements are but I applied with a B in maths and A* in English and those seemed to be okay (seeing as I got my place through clearing!). I'm sure your As grades would matter more and just as long as you pass gcse math/english I'd say you'd have a great chance in getting in :smile: best of luck!
Hmm yeah tbf my flatmates last year didn't speak english very well hahah! On the other hand I made a lot of friends from opal and they're all English! Just so happens that I was placed with people who didn't speak well haha. If ever you get placed with them too, you'll manage haha

Haha okay :smile: what's the arrangement with the post? Is there a post room at Opal or do we have to go and collect it from somewhere else?
Original post by rainbow.panda
Haha okay :smile: what's the arrangement with the post? Is there a post room at Opal or do we have to go and collect it from somewhere else?

In the reception you'll find the mailboxes. Unless its a package or something, you'll have to get it from the reception but you'll be told when to do so :smile:
Original post by ja1
Leicester don't really have a campus do they? What's it like having to travel all over the city, from halls to lectures/other faculty buildings, to going out in the evening/at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the late reply! No there is a main campus haha so most lectures are within the area unless you go to the medic or psychology building (but they're literally a 3 min walk from the main campus). Going out at night is great, I liked Wed and Friday nights because they're held at the 02 academy which is on uni campus haha and since I lived so close to uni last year I liked walking back after a night out.
Reply 73
hi there,

i have a bit or a strange question. Basically I'm from Brighton (where everyone is a bit weird and hippy) and was wondering if you think i will fit in in Leicester. I have dreadlocks and am into meditation and other 'unusual' things and i was just wondering if you get the same sort of people/scene in Leicester? I just don't want to stick out and look like a werido and am getting myself a bit worried about it.

Thanks for your help :smile:
If you order stuff from Amazon, ASOS, etc. to your accommodation, where does it go/who signs for it? Is it allowed?
Reply 75
Original post by Id and Ego seek
If you order stuff from Amazon, ASOS, etc. to your accommodation, where does it go/who signs for it? Is it allowed?

Put the delivery address as your room and flat etc. Post is delivered to the accommodation reception, and you'll receive a card in your flat to let you know you have a parcel to pick up. You then need to go to reception with your student ID and the card and sign for it, then they'll hand it over. :P

Smaller things like letters will be delivered to your flat every day.

The uni website: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/faqs/post-opal-court-has-different-arrangements
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mary1995
hi there,

i have a bit or a strange question. Basically I'm from Brighton (where everyone is a bit weird and hippy) and was wondering if you think i will fit in in Leicester. I have dreadlocks and am into meditation and other 'unusual' things and i was just wondering if you get the same sort of people/scene in Leicester? I just don't want to stick out and look like a werido and am getting myself a bit worried about it.

Thanks for your help :smile:

Hi! Don't worry about that, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine :smile: There are sooo many different types of people around the uni. Also there are so many societies you can join so you'll definitely meet people and get along just fine. Btw, theres a shop in Leicester called the Bazaar which I think you'll like if you're into meditation and all that hehe. As cheesy as this sounds, just be yourself! The great thing about university is that people don't judge and make fun of others (unlike in secondary/college etc). :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending