The Student Room Group

For art students applying for universities in 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlottei
Um most of the universities seem to recommend 20-30, so about that. Might have to add things/take them out to suit each specific uni's requirements.

I think mine will be at least 70% graphic design and illustration, as that's what I'm best at, and then I'm going to attempt to do some painting/photography/life drawing as they like to see a variety for some reason!

Along with that I have a sketchbook/project book where I plan all of my pieces, which has loads of little notes, moodboards and concept sketches which I've heard is a good thing to show at interview.

I did an architectural highschool so I don't have many painting works and things like that :/ How do u show the photos? Do u normally print them and put in you portfolio?
Original post by a9493r
Hey,

I am thinking AUB as well but was thinking more along the lines of animation. Anyone else thinking of that? And any idea if they require a portfolio as well ?

this might help http://aub.ac.uk/courses/ba/ba-animation-production/interviews-portfolio/
Reply 42

Thanks!! :smile: Hhhm..I was actually looking at Falmouth as well but noticed they have only 3years which means there is no placement year. So wont that be a little difficult to look for the jobs by ourselves later on?
Does anyone know any other Universities for Graphic Design or Animation which has 4years including sandwich year ?
Original post by a9493r
Thanks!! :smile: Hhhm..I was actually looking at Falmouth as well but noticed they have only 3years which means there is no placement year. So wont that be a little difficult to look for the jobs by ourselves later on?
Does anyone know any other Universities for Graphic Design or Animation which has 4years including sandwich year ?

Well tbh, placements isn't payed work but it does give a very little advantage.

i think Westminster does do a sandwich course, basically look for uni's in London. they mostly do it
Original post by andrea1995ri
I did an architectural highschool so I don't have many painting works and things like that :/ How do u show the photos? Do u normally print them and put in you portfolio?

I think you can just put in anything artistic you've done... they like to see you're creative! :smile: If you're not sure you can always email an admissions tutor.

Yes, if you're making a physical portfolio, you'd print them out and stick them in.
However I've seen some universities accepting digital portfolios, such as on Flickr, in which case you'd just upload them online. :biggrin:
I think you can just put in anything artistic you've done... they like to see you're creative! :smile: If you're not sure you can always email an admissions tutor.

Yes, if you're making a physical portfolio, you'd print them out and stick them in.
However I've seen some universities accepting digital portfolios, such as on Flickr, in which case you'd just upload them online. :biggrin:

Can you link me your Flickr just for curiosity? :smile:
Can you link me your Flickr just for curiosity? :smile:

I would, but I haven't actually set it up yet! I'm planning to over the next couple of weeks though, so I will link it here as soon as I do. :biggrin:
I would, but I haven't actually set it up yet! I'm planning to over the next couple of weeks though, so I will link it here as soon as I do. :biggrin:

Ok thank you, I think I'll do something like that for my online portfolio: http://www.squarespace.com/templates/ check the category "portfolios" out :smile:
Have you all checked the sticky on portfolio preparation?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Hey Guys. basically i have a question, most of you are interested in graphic design and are taking it next year and I was wondering if you could design a movie poster for me, for a 6 short films i wrote. (Don't have to do all sick because there all one story, just 6 parts) if your interested in design one, just tell me because it just doesn't help me, i can help you guys also (you could it the portfolio and personal statement, saying you've done freelance work, which helps a lot) just message back if interested
Ok thank you, I think I'll do something like that for my online portfolio: http://www.squarespace.com/templates/ check the category "portfolios" out :smile:

Ah that site looks really good actually... it's a big shame you only get a free trial. I'd rather not pay if I can manage it...

Original post by Theblackguy
Hey Guys. basically i have a question, most of you are interested in graphic design and are taking it next year and I was wondering if you could design a movie poster for me, for a 6 short films i wrote. (Don't have to do all sick because there all one story, just 6 parts) if your interested in design one, just tell me because it just doesn't help me, i can help you guys also (you could it the portfolio and personal statement, saying you've done freelance work, which helps a lot) just message back if interested

Um I'd love to try, but I'd have to read what you'd like first, as I'm quite busy at the moment and it would depend how time consuming it would be! If you could send me the details I'll let you know :smile:
Basically its a story about a drug dealer and he has these pills that he gets from a unknown supplier and basically these pills have different affects, one can help the user see the dead, one can help take away remorse and the others can help you see others memories. Each short film has a different protagonist but the same antagonist (the dealer). you interested?
Basically its a story about a drug dealer and he has these pills that he gets from a unknown supplier and basically these pills have different affects, one can help the user see the dead, one can help take away remorse and the others can help you see others memories. Each short film has a different protagonist but the same antagonist (the dealer). you interested?

Seems interesting, """"similar"""" to Breaking Bad :smile:

Yeah interesting, send me a private message with the details (e.g. what style you want, such as photographic or illustrative) and I'll let you know if I could try it! It'd be really helpful if you could send me some similar designs too, so I know what style you're after. :smile:
Ive been looking for a post like this for ages! Ive just started my foundation course, and I'm hoping to apply to Edinburgh College of Art soon :smile: Im still undecided what course but I think I'm leaning towards illustration or fine art. I definitely need all the tips I can for my portfolio so any help is definitely welcome! :smile: Anyone else planning on applying to Edinburgh College of Art?
Original post by lmmmmmmm
Ive been looking for a post like this for ages! Ive just started my foundation course, and I'm hoping to apply to Edinburgh College of Art soon :smile: Im still undecided what course but I think I'm leaning towards illustration or fine art. I definitely need all the tips I can for my portfolio so any help is definitely welcome! :smile: Anyone else planning on applying to Edinburgh College of Art?

Hi and welcome! How many works have your portfolio so far?
Hi and welcome! How many works have your portfolio so far?

Hello! Not a lot to be honest. I only started my Foundation course this week but I started my sketch book today. It's pretty bad quality so I'm really hoping to try and improve, I'm not really used to using a sketchbook! I do have a lot of pieces i used for my portfolio to get into the course I'm in now but I'm hoping I have enough by the time Im applying to avoid using any of them! What about you? And are you still in school or are you doing a foundation course etc? :smile:
Hello! Not a lot to be honest. I only started my Foundation course this week but I started my sketch book today. It's pretty bad quality so I'm really hoping to try and improve, I'm not really used to using a sketchbook! I do have a lot of pieces i used for my portfolio to get into the course I'm in now but I'm hoping I have enough by the time Im applying to avoid using any of them! What about you? And are you still in school or are you doing a foundation course etc? :smile:

ECA's standard offer is a merit on the foundation course, so keep that aim in view and ask advice from your tutors. ECA's very keen on sketchbooks.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
ECA's standard offer is a merit on the foundation course, so keep that aim in view and ask advice from your tutors. ECA's very keen on sketchbooks.

Yeah I've heard that. And I know, I'm really focusing on trying to put everything I think of and my personal process down into sketchbooks.
Yeah I've heard that. And I know, I'm really focusing on trying to put everything I think of and my personal process down into sketchbooks.

They're very much into process. Are you going to the open day on Monday?

Quick Reply

Latest