The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Top tips for PGCE students (and some general tips for all PGCE students):

First of all, I hope you are actually training to be a teacher because you want to, and already know this is the right thing for you unlike around 1/4 of the trainees in my group of 24. What a waste of time for them, already returning to their previous work etc.

1. Let your cooperating teacher know where they stand. When your teaching, for example a 50% timetable, let them know that for the other 50% that you will be OUT of the class and using this as PPA time. You don't need to be in the class, TAing. Get yourself out of the room and use that time wisely, because at this stage marking and planning takes more time than it should.

2. Get them assignments done and out of the way, preferably when you're not on teaching practice. Now is not a time to leave them 3000 words until the final week (or day).

3. Give yourself a full day off (Saturday is best) and ensure you set up a time to work at the weekend. Early birds will do it Friday night and others will leave it until Sunday. Either way, set aside a few hours to get things prepared for the following week.

4. I never got those people who claimed that they 'planned till 2am' and 'haven't seen their mates in ages'. Get yourself organised and motivated to get all the planning and marking mainly done and dusted at school and leave yourself minimal work to be done at home. Stick to this and your social life shouldn't really take a hit. BUT. Don't go out out on a school night, that's just stupid.

5. Early doors during your placement get these essential documents off your cooperating teacher:
Current NC levels of the students in your class
Their maths, reading and writing targets - these will be built into your planning to ensure that you are promoting and planning for progress.

6. Don't run before you can walk, or even crawl. Get help if you need help and don't be one of these people who claims that they can't get hold of their mentor or cooperating teacher. They will be within a 100m radius at most, so hunt them down and don't be afraid to ask (as for whatever reason a lot of PG student's seem to be) for help. You're TRAINING to be a teacher and they know this, that's why they're there - to train you.

7. Don't buy all them dumb 'essential texts' books that college tell you to buy. They will end up collecting dust. Instead, buy practical books that are going to help you with your teaching such as Pie Corbett's talk for writing.

8. If you get a moron for a mentor, who is really harsh when observing and lacks any qualities of being a normal human being, then let your college tutor know (the one who will observe you) to pre-warn them of their inability to be constructive. This will give your tutor a heads up and help to stick up for you should needs be.

9. Know the school's assessment policy inside out. Don't assume that you have to mark every piece of work in depth. For example, one of my placement schools only required one piece of quality assured marking per week.

Finally, just be motivated and organised. Stay on top of the workload and it will allow you to reap the rewards of being a teacher. You won't have to 'stress' about planning and other paperwork if you get into the routine of doing it and putting it to bed, obviously with commitment and not just doing it for the sake of doing it.

On a personal note, this worked for me 100%. I've just completed my PGCE. I stayed ahead of the game, and other trainees. Got a job teaching year 5 back in March and it was all down to my organised mentality. Furthermore, this will help you become a better teacher as you will be able to invest more energy into motivating and engaging your students which will create an amazing classroom environment.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I passed my QTS numeracy test this morning so after reading about yours lives over the past year, I'll get to experience it all come September. So nervous and excited. I already have an essay to write for my first day. Is that normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!
Yeah I have a 2,000 word essay to write for the first day. I guess it depends on the Uni.
I've been watching this thread for years,I just can't believe I'm starting my PGCE in two weeks time!I definitely need to finish my Breaking Bad boxset before I start.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for this! I start on the 8th September but reading this has helped me calm my nerves a bit .
Original post by Red Lightning
I've been watching this thread for years,I just can't believe I'm starting my PGCE in two weeks time!I definitely need to finish my Breaking Bad boxset before I start.

I've also been reading this thread for a while and am glad, excited, and nervous that I begin my PGCE SD a week on Monday!
My first day in school is a training day, then the second day is a training day but out of school, doing team building exercises and stuff. Really excited to be starting and, hopefully, to get lots of info about what I'll actually be doing and what will be expected of me in those first few weeks.
I have my files ready as per uni instruction, I have my green pens and some pencils ready, I have a new diary and a wall planner. I've done all my pre-course work that was set over summer. I'm now ready! Bring it on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start on the 8th too :smile: Although, I'm not aware of any pre-course tasks? We've been told to work on subject knowledge like crazy people (maths) and asked to read the curriculum's and the Cockcroft report (Maths related) and sign up for a few things, but that's it. A bit worried now that I have missed something, I only got my place confirmed last week!
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
I start on the 8th too :smile: Although, I'm not aware of any pre-course tasks? We've been told to work on subject knowledge like crazy people (maths) and asked to read the curriculum's and the Cockcroft report (Maths related) and sign up for a few things, but that's it. A bit worried now that I have missed something, I only got my place confirmed last week!

Don't worry not all courses have things for you to hand in/prepare for your first day.
Is anyone going to Nottingham Trent? I'm doing computer science there :smile:

Getting super nervous now though!
I start my Primary PGCE SD on the 1st September. Two training days and then I'll get to meet the children.
I'm extremely excited but I keep having massive pangs of nerves surging through me.

I've pretty much completed all the pre-course tasks and I'm just itching to get started now.
Good luck to everyone entering ITT this autumn!
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum since I got into the PGCE and now it's nearly time for me to begin! Eek. I'm starting on 15th September, but that's an induction week. I'm sure I'm going to be overloaded with information. I'm very nervous but excited to start this new venture. I've been a TA for a while, so I feel like I know in some ways what I'm letting myself in for. A lot of the teachers I worked with were trying to put me off teaching, but I'm still raring to go!

Good luck to all those starting soon!
Hi everyone.

I have a ccouple of questions
How do you arrange school experience?
If any of you have worked as a teaching assistant before, what is it like?
Original post by sunfowers01
Hi everyone.

I always found that the best way to get experience is going in person to the school. You may have to come back again to meet the relevant person but at least that way you can't be ignored in an in-tray.

Be flexible, show that you are happy to do what they feel would benefit them. Also be flexible with the times where possible.

Look out for voluntary posts advertised. Also, try and get experience across a range of schools and age ranges if possible.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone.

Start with contacting your own old school.
Hi everyone.

Hi!

I went into a local primary school to arrange experience. I already worked as a teaching assistant but only in Key Stage 1. I enjoyed being a teaching assistant, supporting in the classroom. Within the last year my job began to change and instead of supporting groups and the teacher I ended up carrying out 1:1 pupil interventions. It was fine and a good learning experience.
Original post by Esmeralda4
Who else will be joining us in this thread? :-)

I will!! I'll be doing Secondary Maths. I can't wait to get started, it's going to be a hard year with many challenges ahead. Let's hope we come out in one piece!
My course starts a week tomorrow. Currently feeling rather daunted and questioning whether I can do this... time will tell!! Of course, I'm also extremely excited but reality about the intensity of these next few months has set in!!
Original post by Esmeralda4
My course starts a week tomorrow. Currently feeling rather daunted and questioning whether I can do this... time will tell!! Of course, I'm also extremely excited but reality about the intensity of these next few months has set in!!

I'm in exactly the same place.

Im pretty sure I might have the added bonus od needing to book a hotel the night before placement days as I'm commuting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm in exactly the same place.

Im pretty sure I might have the added bonus od needing to book a hotel the night before placement days as I'm commuting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How far? Generally unis have schools in quite a wide range :smile: And that could get very expensive - you're doing secondary aren't you? My housemates who did secondary were on placement for about 6 weeks before Christmas and almost all of January-May afterwards (apart from school hols obviously)
It could get very expensive for you. I know my university helps to pay for accommodation if it's too far away. I wonder if yours will be the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending