The Student Room Group

Not Ling at home or away?

Hello

Currently on my student finance application form for 2014-15 at Nottingham Trent University I have been assessed as living away from Home outside London as I am currently looking for accommodation. Having looked into various accommodation options I have been offered by various friends and family places to stay near my university instead of private accommodation to save money (as there offering me cheaper rent) however my mother currently requires round the clock medical care in which myself and my father (her full time carer) share responsibility of. This in affect will cause me to travel back home on a regular basis during my study to help with care when my father is struggling or is in need of assistance

As I will not have a permanent home either with my parents or away I was unsure on how this would affect my funding for the upcoming year.
The adviser mentioned possibility of a 50/50 status, but was unsure
Any help is much appreciated Thanks :smile:
Hi there.

You can choose your living location over the three terms of your course so for example you can have this set as; Term 1 with parents, 2 elsewhere and 3 with parents, or any other combination. This can also be changed at any time during your study.

However, as students who live elsewhere are entitled to a higher rate of funding, changing this throughout the year means a reassessment would need to be carried out after each change and it could eventually mean you may be paid more than what you are entitled to in the end and we may request some funding paid back. This would of course, not be the best scenario.

As you have suggested you would only be going back home as, and when you need to I would suggest indicating you are living 'elsewhere' for all 3 terms, as the accommodation you will be living in will effectively be your primary home whilst studying.

Thanks.
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there.

You can choose your living location over the three terms of your course so for example you can have this set as; Term 1 with parents, 2 elsewhere and 3 with parents, or any other combination. This can also be changed at any time during your study.

However, as students who live elsewhere are entitled to a higher rate of funding, changing this throughout the year means a reassessment would need to be carried out after each change and it could eventually mean you may be paid more than what you are entitled to in the end and we may request some funding paid back. This would of course, not be the best scenario.

As you have suggested you would only be going back home as, and when you need to I would suggest indicating you are living 'elsewhere' for all 3 terms, as the accommodation you will be living in will effectively be your primary home whilst studying.

Thanks.

Thanks for replying, ok ill leave my application the way it is, as my term address ive put my university as i will be zig zagging between friends and familys homes for accommodation continually changing addresses would be a hassle is this alright? Thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending