The Student Room Group

Difficult Medical School interview question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Right, that must be definitive proof that it never gets asked then...

Obviously people cannot predict what questions they'll get asked, but questions like the one in the OP are certainly not unheard of.

Of course it isn't definitive proof, but the GMC's guidelines advise not to make judgements about a patient's lifestyle, and I can't see how you could answer a question that is essentially asking you to decide who deserves to live the most without doing exactly that... As another poster mentioned, a question with the same people but about a kidney transplant is perfectly reasonable, as you can take the likelihood of success into consideration, but I don't think the one in the OP is. You say this question is "certainly not unheard of", but it's in so many interview help books that that's probably the reason why, with a bit of Chinese whispers going on.

Is there anyone on here who can say they were asked a question like this, where they were told that clinical need was equal?
Original post by Booyah
Should have gone Newcastle... your missing out on a free bar every friday!

Congratulations though!

It was a very difficult decision between those two, believe me (Newcastle was my insurance), despite pretty much everyone I spoke to about it reacting with bemusement and sometimes even genuine anger that I wasn't sure which one to pick... Yet the only reason most of them could think of for feeling that way was "Because it's Oxford"
Reply 22
Original post by MrSupernova
It was a very difficult decision between those two, believe me (Newcastle was my insurance), despite pretty much everyone I spoke to about it reacting with bemusement and sometimes even genuine anger that I wasn't sure which one to pick... Yet the only reason most of them could think of for feeling that way was "Because it's Oxford"

bloody Oxford!

I don't think I could cope with the workload there, seems a lot more essay based then Newcastle (but no where near as bad as Cambridge...)

Well good luck to ya and maybe I'll see you on my placements!
Reply 23
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That answer is likely to be followed up with "and what if there wasn't a waiting list?" :tongue:

Good point.. That answer should probably be stated as an alternative or maybe not at all.
Of course it isn't definitive proof, but the GMC's guidelines advise not to make judgements about a patient's lifestyle, and I can't see how you could answer a question that is essentially asking you to decide who deserves to live the most without doing exactly that... As another poster mentioned, a question with the same people but about a kidney transplant is perfectly reasonable, as you can take the likelihood of success into consideration, but I don't think the one in the OP is. You say this question is "certainly not unheard of", but it's in so many interview help books that that's probably the reason why, with a bit of Chinese whispers going on.

Is there anyone on here who can say they were asked a question like this, where they were told that clinical need was equal?

Do you get questioned on GMC guidelines at interviews nowadays?

Whilst the question is a little unrealistic i presume this is simply the interviewer is simply trying to find out how the candidate thinks. Even with medical needs being the same all three of these patients will have very different outcomes which i presume is what you're supposed to talk about and rationalize.

In addition, with regards to the guideline you mentioned, there only seems to be mention of a single patient; though i don't have a copy of the GMC guidelines to see if there are any further points made with regards to the care of multiple patients and triage.
Original post by ThrillSize
Thank you so much! That seems like the best approach to take for this question. What would you think if someone were to answer "I would give it to the first person on the waiting list" ?

Definitely don't say this, it shows no original thought
I did get some scenario questions, but they were things like "What would you do if you thought your consultant has a drinking problem that is endangering patients?", "What would you do if you found out your best friend cheated in final exams?" or "What would you do if you found out your patient was continuing to drive even though his condition means he isn't allowed to, because he says he would lose his job if he didn't?"

I was interviewed at Oxford, Nottingham and Newcastle. I got offers from all three so I must have done reasonably well... Despite my phone going off at Newcastle and me losing the article I was supposed to bring to one of my Oxford interviews :redface:

Mr Supernova, what did you say to them about the first two? They're quite dodgy, and don't sound like Oxford would ask them.
Reply 27
I had a question like this at one of my interviews except I had 5 patients to choose from. I discussed each patient and discounted a few but ultimately said I needed more information to make a decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by LibbyG
I had a question like this at one of my interviews except I had 5 patients to choose from. I discussed each patient and discounted a few but ultimately said I needed more information to make a decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would you have answered if they had asked you "What more information would you require?" :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by plrodham1
Definitely don't say this, it shows no original thought

Agreed, it's probably the laziest answer anyone could give.
Reply 30
Original post by ThrillSize
What would you have answered if they had asked you "What more information would you require?" :smile:

I explained this in my answer if that makes sense. I said that it is very unlikely they will all have equal medical need and I wasn't given the projected lifespan with and without the dialysis for each patient so I said I would need that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Booyah
bloody Oxford!

I don't think I could cope with the workload there, seems a lot more essay based then Newcastle (but no where near as bad as Cambridge...)

Well good luck to ya and maybe I'll see you on my placements!

That was one of the things I was worried about too, I guess I'll see in the coming months if my fears were unfounded or not... Good luck to you too :smile:

Original post by plrodham1
Do you get questioned on GMC guidelines at interviews nowadays?

Whilst the question is a little unrealistic i presume this is simply the interviewer is simply trying to find out how the candidate thinks. Even with medical needs being the same all three of these patients will have very different outcomes which i presume is what you're supposed to talk about and rationalize.

In addition, with regards to the guideline you mentioned, there only seems to be mention of a single patient; though i don't have a copy of the GMC guidelines to see if there are any further points made with regards to the care of multiple patients and triage.

You'd expect the people making the interview questions to know them though... I can only think that the question is usually worded in a way that can be answered by mentioning the different outcomes, rather than "Who deserves to live the most?"
Original post by helloitsmee
Mr Supernova, what did you say to them about the first two? They're quite dodgy, and don't sound like Oxford would ask them.

They are very tricky and, although I wasn't asked anything like that at Oxford, I was at Newcastle and Nottingham. I think the key thing in both is to explain to them how their behaviour is wrong, and to try to convince them to own up. If not, you may have to tell the relevant people. Obviously this isn't easy if it's your best friend, and no doubt an interviewer would question whether you'd really be prepared to snitch on them. Dishonesty is a really bad trait for a doctor to have though, so it'd probably be a bad idea to say you'd let them get away with it if they don't admit to it themselves, but I'd certainly acknowledge that it would be a very difficult thing to do.

With the consultant, you have to take into account the fact that he is your boss and it isn't particularly appropriate for an F1/2 to be questioning someone so much further up the chain of command in this manner, so perhaps expressing your concerns to another consultant or a registrar and asking to remain anonymous would be the best thing to do. If you think their drinking is putting patients at risk, you can't afford to do nothing, even if it would cause awkwardness in the workplace. This is just my take on things though; I'm sure people who've actually worked in hospitals may take a different view.
That was one of the things I was worried about too, I guess I'll see in the coming months if my fears were unfounded or not... Good luck to you too :smile:

You'd expect the people making the interview questions to know them though... I can only think that the question is usually worded in a way that can be answered by mentioning the different outcomes, rather than "Who deserves to live the most?"

I don't really feel that the wording is too horrendous with regards to talking about each patients potential outcome here. Whilst they could add a little more information i still feel that there is enough information to form a preliminary decision. I presume that once you begin to discuss your reasoning the interviewer would then begin to add more information to make you re-think.
I didn't get any questions like this but would probably have given a similar answer to LibbyG, with the addition of "and I would get the opinions of other doctors before coming to a decision" as they like to see you working in a team, it's not really the sort of decision you make on your own anyways :smile:
Any tips for Imperial / Oxford / King's interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by smilepeople
Any tips for Imperial / Oxford / King's interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard the ics interview course is really good

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the dress code like for medical school interviews ?? I've been to Australian one for fun they were all dressed up real good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending