The Student Room Group

Marks and spencer roleplay interview help!

I have an interview with marks and Spencer on tuesday for customer service assistant. I'm only 17 & this is my first job interview. Any tips and what sort of roleplay could come up would be appreciated? :smile: Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hearthstone
I have an interview with marks and Spencer on tuesday for customer service assistant. I'm only 17 & this is my first job interview. Any tips and what sort of roleplay could come up would be appreciated? :smile: Thanks in advance.

Depending on what department you are set for it varies, for Foods it's the butternut squash one where a the store has ran out of butternut squash and you are given a few alternative choices to recommend to them (my interview topic)
I'm not sure about any other department, but be confident and always be polite and recommend more than what's needed
Reply 2
that's absolutely vile, you could do them for sexual assault srs
Reply 3
Original post by Chase&Owls
Depending on what department you are set for it varies, for Foods it's the butternut squash one where a the store has ran out of butternut squash and you are given a few alternative choices to recommend to them (my interview topic)
I'm not sure about any other department, but be confident and always be polite and recommend more than what's needed

aw thank you! :3 How do you know what department you are in? do they tell you as soon as you arrive?
aw thank you! :3 How do you know what department you are in? do they tell you as soon as you arrive?

You get taken to do the roleplay and once you've successfully passed they'll place you in your department! The interviewer leaves the room at the beginning after a brief health and safety talk and you then get given a scenario and pack of notes and pictures to help you formulate you answer in 10mins.
They'll come back and roleplay a customer and you have to answer any questions they ask using your notes/pictures.
Reply 5
You get taken to do the roleplay and once you've successfully passed they'll place you in your department! The interviewer leaves the room at the beginning after a brief health and safety talk and you then get given a scenario and pack of notes and pictures to help you formulate you answer in 10mins.
They'll come back and roleplay a customer and you have to answer any questions they ask using your notes/pictures.

ahhh this sounds so difficult! Would you say it is hard like are the questions basic so the answers are actually kind of provided in the pack of notes and pictures?

This is my first ever interview in my entire life and I am pooing my self XD
ahhh this sounds so difficult! Would you say it is hard like are the questions basic so the answers are actually kind of provided in the pack of notes and pictures?

This is my first ever interview in my entire life and I am pooing my self XD

It was my first interview also and I was equally as nervous, the questions were fairly basic if you can think on the spot like e.g. 'I don't want quiche, can you offer me an alternative?' And with your information pack you can recommend something similar (all the questions can be answered with the information given to you) so frankly it's a matter of formulating a good answer and being confident about that answer!
Reply 7
It was my first interview also and I was equally as nervous, the questions were fairly basic if you can think on the spot like e.g. 'I don't want quiche, can you offer me an alternative?' And with your information pack you can recommend something similar (all the questions can be answered with the information given to you) so frankly it's a matter of formulating a good answer and being confident about that answer!

Thank you ever so much! :biggrin: Were there any other like competency questions from the manager? because apparently all I have to do is the role play as it states below.

"The assessment will involve a role-play exercise that is designed to assess your ability to deliver great customer service. There will also be an
opportunity for you to talk with a member of the Marks and Spencer team during a one-to-one discussion. This does not form part of the
assessment, and you can ask any questions you may have regarding the role. The whole process should last up to one hour."
Thank you ever so much! :biggrin: Were there any other like competency questions from the manager? because apparently all I have to do is the role play as it states below.

"The assessment will involve a role-play exercise that is designed to assess your ability to deliver great customer service. There will also be an
opportunity for you to talk with a member of the Marks and Spencer team during a one-to-one discussion. This does not form part of the
assessment, and you can ask any questions you may have regarding the role. The whole process should last up to one hour."

Once you pass the roleplay, a manager from your department will have a one on one interview with you asking you 'Why do you want to work for M&S?, Do you have experience (volunteering counts too), What you hope to gain from employment at M&S, and travel arrangements to the store and education!
You also get to ask any questions about the business and training days/induction etc.
Reply 9
Hi, I had my interview last monday and I filled out all my details and gave them copies of important documents. I have also been invited to the 2 day induction but I have not been asked about my uniform/clothing size, does this mean I have not got the job or?
Original post by Mei123
Hi, I had my interview last monday and I filled out all my details and gave them copies of important documents. I have also been invited to the 2 day induction but I have not been asked about my uniform/clothing size, does this mean I have not got the job or?

You do have the job so not to worry! You get your uniform during your induction and they guess your size and hand your uniform if it's in stock. If not, you'll be in plain black clothes until they've ordered your uniform and it comes. It normally takes about 2 weeks for your uniform to come!
Find out a little bit about the history of M&S to impress the coach that trains you! Good luck
I had the letter mentioning roleplay too, never happened. They just asked for my uniform size, national insurance copy etc. There was a little roleplay in the induction though
Reply 12
You do have the job so not to worry! You get your uniform during your induction and they guess your size and hand your uniform if it's in stock. If not, you'll be in plain black clothes until they've ordered your uniform and it comes. It normally takes about 2 weeks for your uniform to come!
Find out a little bit about the history of M&S to impress the coach that trains you! Good luck

Thank-you for responding. I kept doubting myself haha. Also, I was wondering do they send you anything in the post before the induction as apperently everyone has to do a bit of 'homework' before? Which I didn't really understand. Thanks for the advice, have you worked for M and S before?
Original post by Mei123
Thank-you for responding. I kept doubting myself haha. Also, I was wondering do they send you anything in the post before the induction as apperently everyone has to do a bit of 'homework' before? Which I didn't really understand. Thanks for the advice, have you worked for M and S before?

They would normally send your contract if they haven't done so already, but otherwise they'd give you booklets on health and safety, company policies and payment information during your induction.
You don't necessarily have to do homework before but it's encouraged as it shows you have a basic interest in your upcoming role in the store! And I currently work for M&S and have been there for 3 months in the Foods department
Reply 14
They would normally send your contract if they haven't done so already, but otherwise they'd give you booklets on health and safety, company policies and payment information during your induction.
You don't necessarily have to do homework before but it's encouraged as it shows you have a basic interest in your upcoming role in the store! And I currently work for M&S and have been there for 3 months in the Foods department

Oh, okay thankyou! As I have not confirmed my hours or anything like that yet, but I'm assuming that will happen at the induction day with everyone else as in the interview there was some talk but not alot about hours. so, I will hopefully end recieving my contract in the post? and is the homework basically like research of the company such as plan a and things like that? also, is there anything specific we would need to bring on the induction day?
Original post by Mei123
Oh, okay thankyou! As I have not confirmed my hours or anything like that yet, but I'm assuming that will happen at the induction day with everyone else as in the interview there was some talk but not alot about hours. so, I will hopefully end recieving my contract in the post? and is the homework basically like research of the company such as plan a and things like that? also, is there anything specific we would need to bring on the induction day?

Yep, you'll get your unofficial timetable at the induction until they've sorted it out (timetable for the first week may be different to ordinary timetable). And yeah, a basic idea of M&S campaigns and the history of the company starting from the beginning is all you need!
And nope, you've already bought your documents so just wear all black and bring photo I.D (enter the staff area with) and a pen
What happens if you dont pass the role play? do they tell you there and then and you go home? or do you still go for the interview?
Original post by ambersimpson1
What happens if you dont pass the role play? do they tell you there and then and you go home? or do you still go for the interview?

If you don't pass they'll tell you straight away after you've filled a strengths and weaknesses form about your performance in the role play. The interview happens once you've passed the role play
If you don't pass they'll tell you straight away after you've filled a strengths and weaknesses form about your performance in the role play. The interview happens once you've passed the role play
Oh right, i got an interview for m&s on Wednesday and im quite nervous as its my first interview aswell!
I have an interview on Wednesday for Marks and Spencers and its role play, what sort of thing do they ask you to do? Is it with other applicants or just yourself? Who's it in front of also? Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply