The Student Room Group

Going to university without GCSE English Language?

Well I'm about to start college and I've been looking at which universities the course I'm doing can get me in to. I'm doing a BTEC and all the uni's I've looked at accept BTEC at DDD which I aspire to get but most of them say I need a B in GCSE English Language which I didn't even do.

This isn't my fault, it was my school's fault. They didn't allow me to do it for no reason. I did however get a B in GCSE English. Do you think these uni's will let me in without English Language?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NEWTON1080p
Well I'm about to start college and I've been looking at which universities the course I'm doing can get me in to. I'm doing a BTEC and all the uni's I've looked at accept BTEC at DDD which I aspire to get but most of them say I need a B in GCSE English Language which I didn't even do.

This isn't my fault, it was my school's fault. They didn't allow me to do it for no reason. I did however get a B in GCSE English. Do you think these uni's will let me in without English Language?

GCSE English is perfectly adequate as far as I am aware. I would advise you contact the universities you wish to attend and ask them.

Did they allow anyone to do it? If so they must have had a reason. If no-one did English language and your school say that on your application it will be fine - and it probably will be anyway.

Of course you can always take English language GCSE as an independent candidate, you just have to find an exam centre to take you and pay the fees.
GCSE English is the same as English Language. It's just called different things depending on the syllabus you did and, to some extent, the year you did it. You're fine.
I'm pretty sure most unis will see GCSE English as the equivalent of GCSE English Language

i got excepted into kings and ucl without gcse language or maths so im sure itll be fine :smile:
Original post by Harrie Lyons
i got excepted into kings and ucl without gcse language or maths so im sure itll be fine :smile:

May i ask how?
Original post by German123
May i ask how?

they didnt care, didnt even ask. in fact no university i applied to asked.
though i did get A*AA at a level and the i talked to the lecturer at the course at ucl i wanted to attend beforehand, she said i was her dream student when she designed the course.
maybe pleasing the lecturers is the key?
i wouldnt know though because, like i said, my lack of english and maths gcse has never come up :smile:.
point is, these things are not as rigid as ppl make out.
(edited 9 years ago)
they didnt care, didnt even ask. in fact no university i applied to asked.
though i did get A*AA at a level and the i talked to the lecturer at the course at ucl i wanted to attend beforehand, she said i was her dream student when she designed the course.
maybe pleasing the lecturers is the key?
i wouldnt know though because, like i said, my lack of english and maths gcse has never come up :smile:.
point is, its not as rigid as ppl make out.

Cool. What A levels did you do?
Cool. What A levels did you do?

Latin, Classical Greek and religious studies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Latin, Classical Greek and religious studies.

Cool. What exam board did you use for RS?
Cool. What exam board did you use for RS?

OCR i think, they were pretty much my exam board full stop, baring some exceptions.
i would advise OP NOT to mention it to them though.
its like if you point out your ugly features to girl, she will start noticing to them more too.
you just keep it quiet and if they mention it (which they never did with me) still act cool and shrug it off.
OCR i think, they were pretty much my exam board full stop, baring some exceptions.
i would advise OP NOT to mention it to them though.
its like if you point out your ugly features to girl, she will start noticing to them more too.
you just keep it quiet and if they mention it (which they never did with me) still act cool and shrug it off.

Did you find Rs hard at As and A2? Just curious as i was thinking of that to be one of my A level choices but maybe.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
GCSE English is the same as English Language. It's just called different things depending on the syllabus you did and, to some extent, the year you did it. You're fine.

PRSOM
Did you find Rs hard at As and A2? Just curious as i was thinking of that to be one of my A level choices but maybe.

i did the AS and A2 exams at the same time so I cant really compare AS RS and A2 RS as they are mixed up in my head now.
but as compared to other subjects? I thought is it was about as hard as other essay subjects like history or English . truth be told i would have got B or C if i hadnt of hadnt have done the hinduism module and memorised some sanskrit prayers and verses which pushed the mark up to an A.
so yeah i guess i did do badly on the Philosophy of Religion module (the compulsory one)
i did the AS and A2 exams at the same time so I cant really compare AS RS and A2 RS as they are mixed up in my head now.
but as compared to other subjects? I thought is it was about as hard as other essay subjects like history or English . truth be told i would have got B or C if i hadnt of hadnt have done the hinduism module and memorised some sanskrit prayers and verses which pushed the mark up to an A.
so yeah i guess i did do badly on the Philosophy of Religion module (the compulsory one)

How about the ethics module?
you have GCSE english that should be sufficient. i know students who did the btec and did functional skills english to make up for having no gcse english.
How about the ethics module?

didnt do it, did Hinduism instead.
know lots of people who did do it though and if you enjoy philosophical ethics you'll most probably like it.

You do Classics and can not spell the word "accepted" ? heck...........
didnt do it, did Hinduism instead.
know lots of people who did do it though and if you enjoy philosophical ethics you'll most probably like it.

cool.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending