The Student Room Group

Do I Need Biology A2 for Nursing?

I was planning to take biology AS through to A2, but got a C, my other subjects were ABB (english, psychology and sociology). I need BBB for the nursing courses I'm interested in, so it makes sense to drop the C, as Bio isn't specified by most unis.
I was wondering if not having the same biology knowledge some other nursing students might be starting with could but me at a disadvantage. Or do they just start teaching the biology stuff from the basics?
Anyone get into a nursing degree without Bio A2? How did you get on? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Muggins95
I was planning to take biology AS through to A2, but got a C, my other subjects were ABB (english, psychology and sociology). I need BBB for the nursing courses I'm interested in, so it makes sense to drop the C, as Bio isn't specified by most unis.
I was wondering if not having the same biology knowledge some other nursing students might be starting with could but me at a disadvantage. Or do they just start teaching the biology stuff from the basics?
Anyone get into a nursing degree without Bio A2? How did you get on? :smile:

I didn't do Biology AS or A2 and it hasn't affected my degree. I got a first on our biology module in first year. You just need to put the effort in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ah that is a relief! :biggrin: I don't mind working hard, I just don't want to be catching up on what everyone else knew day 1!
Reply 3
You don't need it , I did psychology eng and history
You don't need it, I made the mistake of carrying biology on to A2 (I got a C at AS) over history (high B at AS) because I thought I needed it. I ended up getting a D in A2 bio but uni still accepted me so my point is go for your best subject! Don't stress yourself out over bio, you don't need it :smile:) (a lot of bio I did at a level seems quite irrelevant to the course anyway)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks, this has definitely been helpful! Very relieved to not have the stress of resitting exams alongside A2!
Did anyone find subject choice was queried during uni interviews out of interest? As in do they ask why you picked what you studied?
Original post by Muggins95
Thanks, this has definitely been helpful! Very relieved to not have the stress of resitting exams alongside A2!
Did anyone find subject choice was queried during uni interviews out of interest? As in do they ask why you picked what you studied?

My subject choices did not come up whatsoever :smile: for nursing they don't seem that fussed so long as you get the grades. There's not many subjects at school that can adequately prepare you for nursing so don't worry hugely, I've never ever done child development in my life and am doing child nursing, by the same token there are people on my course who have studied child care diplomas etc. so they really don't mind too much! Good luck with A2 and your UCAS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on which uni you want to go to but I did geography, sociology and health and social care and ive got accepted into birmimgham :biggrin:.

It's more important to get good grades and as you're doing psychology and its related to the field you'll already be preferred :smile:
Nope. I got a D in GCSE Biology six years ago and I start my course next week! They might be harsher on school leavers (I already have a degree) but still as long as you have the requisite UCAS points I don't think it matters in what subject for most unis.

I'm a little nervous about my lack of biology knowledge, but I figure if I work at it it should be no problem. I've been told by a member of the faculty that I won't have much trouble picking it up.

Quick Reply

Latest