The Student Room Group

A levels for Medicine. Further Maths or Physics?

I am set on studying medicine. However, I also am passionate about physics and possibly engineering.
If i were to study medicine, is there any preference over further maths or physics?(in addition to Chem, Bio and Maths) I have heard that the physics course is pretty basics at A level and the maths in further maths will be much more useful.
I also understand that physics is not necessary for top Physics courses, whereas further maths is.
I have read that some Medicine courses do not see the grades for Maths and Further Maths as seperate. Is this true for Oxbridge, UCL etc. ?

I don't have much time to decide, so at the moment I am pretty set on further maths, although I will miss physics.
I did both physics and FM at A-level, and I found that FM was a more engaging and educationally 'richer' course than physics. I can't comment on which is more useful for medicine. (To be honest I can't see either being all that useful, but I speak as a definite non-expert here, as I am not a medic.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Neither are useful for medicine.

You're right, a lot of medical schools do not view maths and further maths as separate A levels. If I were you I'd do physics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Physics is not easy at A-levels, I'm going into my A2 year and I had to put a lot of time in order to get an A, If you are sure that you want to study medicine, then you should definitely take further maths... Hope it helps. Don't know about the not seeing grades as separate though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elias_123
Physics is not easy at A-levels, I'm going into my A2 year and I had to put a lot of time in order to get an A, If you are sure that you want to study medicine, then you should definitely take further maths, because to get into medicine at a top uni there is a lot of competition and taking FM will put you at an advantage. Hope it helps. Don't know about the not seeing grades as separate though.

It's definitely time to stop posting this nonsense, you really don't have a clue about getting into med school at all :no:
Original post by notebook123
I am set on studying medicine. However, I also am passionate about physics and possibly engineering.
If i were to study medicine, is there any preference over further maths or physics?(in addition to Chem, Bio and Maths) I have heard that the physics course is pretty basics at A level and the maths in further maths will be much more useful.
I also understand that physics is not necessary for top Physics courses, whereas further maths is.
I have read that some Medicine courses do not see the grades for Maths and Further Maths as seperate. Is this true for Oxbridge, UCL etc. ?

I don't have much time to decide, so at the moment I am pretty set on further maths, although I will miss physics.

Many Medical schools do not see Maths and Further Maths as separate A levels, but will accept Further Maths as a separate AS. A few Medical schools will not accept Further Maths as separate even at AS level. It depends where you apply.

Cambridge does accept Further Maths as a separate subject at the majority of colleges (possibly all). Oxford is likely to follow the same rules as Cambridge in that respect. UCL likes their Medical applicants to show 'breadth' so I doubt they would be fond of Further Maths or Physics - they would prefer English or a language! For that reason, I expect they treat Further Maths as being the same as Maths. I believe that Imperial do not treat the two as separate, and UCL is likely to be similar.

Physics is more relevant to Medicine. If you are on AQA, then you can choose a Medical Physics module for unit 5 at A2 level. It is also not basic! Physics is a difficult and very well-respected A level that tends to be liked more than Further Maths by Medical schools.

That being said, if you believe that you will enjoy Further Maths more, then enough universities accept it as separate that you shouldn't have any major issues applying to Medical school - you will just have to check the Further Maths policy of each university.
Original post by Democracy
It's definitely time to stop posting this nonsense, you really don't have a clue about getting into med school at all :no:

I edited my post before you replied.. Just think if either were to give a slight advantage it would be FM and definitely not physics.
Original post by notebook123

Uhh, fairly sure physics is a requirement for physics courses (and engineering ones, for that matter).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I edited my post before you replied.. Just think if either were to give a slight advantage it would be FM and definitely not physics.

Why don't you read through this list and tell me how many times you come across the line "Only one of Maths and Further Maths is considered" (or similar).

Then tell me if you think FM is still a "slight advantage" :rolleyes:
Original post by Democracy
Why don't you read through this list and tell me how many times you come across the line "Only one of Maths and Further Maths is considered" (or similar).

Then tell me if you think FM is still a "slight advantage" :rolleyes:

Cambridge and Oxford.
Cambridge and Oxford.

Firstly, that's only two medical schools. Secondly, I applied to Oxford for Medicine last year and got pretty much no advantage at all for having Further Maths. :no:
Original post by usycool1
Firstly, that's only two medical schools. Secondly, I applied to Oxford for Medicine last year and got pretty much no advantage at all for having Further Maths. :no:

Oh,alright, I think the thread starter should just focus on 3 subjects to try and achieve the highest grade possible.

Quick Reply

Latest