The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

I haven't been asked to do this Ice Bucket malarky either. I like to think it's coz my friends know that I wouldn't do it :tongue:

:colondollar:
Original post by Arsenalforlifee
Hey guys, mind if I join? :smile:

Dropped out of uni almost exactly a year ago after severe depression and getting awful grades - finally feel ready to apply for jobs again (I'm going on JSA soon), but the last year hasn't been easy. Feel really trapped with emotionally abusive family members, as well. Wish me all the financial luck you can, I'm gonna need it :s-smilie:

(Sorry for the rant... really needed to let that out. Saw one doctor in the past year despite being suicidal at times, and they weren't really very helpful...)

Hey! Welcome to MHSS! Though sorry to hear of what brings you here :hugs: Hopefully you'll find us all friendly and supportive and we can cheer you on as you look for jobs! I'm jobhunting too, with very little success :colondollar:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hey! Welcome to MHSS! Though sorry to hear of what brings you here :hugs: Hopefully you'll find us all friendly and supportive and we can cheer you on as you look for jobs! I'm jobhunting too, with very little success :colondollar:

Thank you :smile: :hugs: :smile: Best of luck to you too! What kind of jobs are you looking for, if you don't mind me asking?
Thank you :smile: :hugs: :smile: Best of luck to you too! What kind of jobs are you looking for, if you don't mind me asking?

Part-time work in arts administration. Which appears to be either mostly non-existent or unpaid :frown: How about you? :h:
Part-time work in arts administration. Which appears to be either mostly non-existent or unpaid :frown: How about you? :h:

That sounds great! Have you tried applying for related jobs if you can't find exactly what you want right now? :smile:

Well, my dream is to run my own business, but I probably need to raise some money (doing anything, really) first and move out for my own sanity. So anything I can find, TBH, :lol:
Original post by Sabertooth
I did indeed, thanks for asking :smile: It went okish, I really struggled with one section but I think I did ok in the typing speed and other written sections so I'm hoping that outweighs the part I struggled with. Got a 4 hour exam on friday to look forward to. Bleurgh :yucky:

A massive well done for going and doing it! Really proud of you!
Yeah i imagine it will be fine! Good luck for friday! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
same...yay for having no friends! we can do our own challenge, but maybe one without wasting water and such!

I haven't been asked to do this Ice Bucket malarky either. I like to think it's coz my friends know that I wouldn't do it :tongue:

:colondollar:

It is about creating awreness for ALS and originally it was designed - as I read - that only those put an ice bucket over themselves, who are not able to donate. It has nothing to do with nominating friends.

And by the way, you could nominate each other, ...
Reply 1427
Original post by Odd socks
Today I learned that I really suit glasses and it's such a shame that my eyesight isn't quite bad enough to need them

Posted from TSR Mobile

As someone who needs glasses, I've always been slightly envious of people who look amazing with glasses but don't need them :emo:.

Maybe wear nonprescription frames? I'm not usually a fan but if you like wearing them and they make you feel good, it's always an option!

Oh and a bit late, but I saw the pic you posted and you look amazing! I love the lipstick too! I've always wanted to wear red lipstick but don't think I could pull it off :getmecoat:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just realised my quetiapine is like out of date, is tat bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It went well! :smile: This seems to be my week. :nutcase:
Original post by lauraaaaa
you know you have no friends when you haven't even been nominated...

I've never been nominated either :erm:. Shame :sigh:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I've never been nominated either :erm:. Shame :sigh:

My mum has just been nominated! So ill probs end up being nominated now, but i cant do it with cold water or i risk getting ill and potentially fainting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
My mum has just been nominated! So ill probs end up being nominated now, but i cant do it with cold water or i risk getting ill and potentially fainting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, maybe just do it with lukewarm water instead? It'd still be the same sort of effect of being drenched while fully clothed.
I don't like ice, Nathanielle :tongue:

That sounds great! Have you tried applying for related jobs if you can't find exactly what you want right now? :smile:

Well, my dream is to run my own business, but I probably need to raise some money (doing anything, really) first and move out for my own sanity. So anything I can find, TBH, :lol:

I'm looking at education jobs or going freelance with Blue Tutors. Too chicken to go freelance though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaaaaaaaaaaand crash. :sigh:
Hello. I have before posted here with my profile but now i've decided to post anonymously

I'm a 19 year old boy who has social anxiety and depression, i'm going back to college to study Access to Business now here's the problem. My personality is ZERO (e.g i don't watch football and it makes me feel like a faggot), i'm scared of people because i live in London. In the past my college track record has been poor hence getting kicked out of colleges due to attendance (bunking off) just because i can't cope or make friends.

Everyone sees me as a loner or a disabled ****ing ****e. HM and customs have just sued my parents £5000 for poor track record hence the pressure is on otherwise they pay another £3000 if i get kicked out.

My question is im planning to take alcohol... It's the only way to help. I've had every single therapy and have had antidepressants and none has worked, however im planning next week to attend a social anxiety support group. So im prepared to drink just a few sips a day just to help me feel good and maybe become the most popular student in the college.

I just want to hear experience from others in which alcohol has helped them in college.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello. I have before posted here with my profile but now i've decided to post anonymously

I'm a 19 year old boy who has social anxiety and depression, i'm going back to college to study Access to Business now here's the problem. My personality is ZERO (e.g i don't watch football and it makes me feel like a faggot), i'm scared of people because i live in London. In the past my college track record has been poor hence getting kicked out of colleges due to attendance (bunking off) just because i can't cope or make friends.

Everyone sees me as a loner or a disabled ****ing ****e. HM and customs have just sued my parents £5000 for poor track record hence the pressure is on otherwise they pay another £3000 if i get kicked out.

My question is im planning to take alcohol... It's the only way to help. I've had every single therapy and have had antidepressants and none has worked, however im planning next week to attend a social anxiety support group. So im prepared to drink just a few sips a day just to help me feel good and maybe become the most popular student in the college.

I just want to hear experience from others in which alcohol has helped them in college.

Im gonna be brutally honest here.

Its a stupid idea. Not only do you run the risk of becoming an alcoholic (needing alcohol to get through the day) you risk physical health problems as well. But alcohol is also a depressant, so it will be completely counterproductive.
Also it will most likely mean you wont become popular, being a drunk isnt a good look imo smelling of a brewery in the middle of the day isnt fun.
You will encounter more problems.

So no dont do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Okay, hello! Firstly please don't use the word faggot, it's offensive.

Secondly, alcohol is not the way to help, I thought it was as well, it was the only way I could feel up beat and happy but you just feel worse afterwards. You need to get professional help, go to the doctors, when you go to college tell them about what is happening and they'll help you out, thats what they're there for. Alcohol will not solve this and you can't fix this on your own.

Just because you don't like football doesnt mean you don't have a personality, loads of boys don't like football surely there's something you like to do?
Original post by WelshBluebird
It isn't just you two. I feel the same. The friends I do have are bloody amazing don't get me wrong. But there are only a handful of them and they are way too spread out around the country :frown:. And I'm way too shy and anxious around new people to make new friends. I have a few acquaintances who live near me, but I have no clue how to make the lead to being friends.

I only really make friends with people i'm forced to be around long enough to like. I'm not bad at making friends, i'm just too lazy :frown:

Original post by superwolf
I'd actually say five is a fair number of friends. :dontknow:

Most people i know have like 20 close friends, especially since we're all still at uni :/ i'd still rather have 5 close friends than 20 not close friends, but i'd rather have 20 close friends than 5 close :s-smilie:

That made no sense :colondollar:

Original post by lauraaaaa
you know you have no friends when you haven't even been nominated...

You will once you're at uni, everybody bloody knows everyone :tongue:
Original post by PandaWho
A massive well done for going and doing it! Really proud of you!
Yeah i imagine it will be fine! Good luck for friday! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :colondollar: I am pretty pleased with myself that I gave it my best shot rather than backing out.

I saw your post about your doctor's visit. It's pretty bad that they won't see you but that's the NHS I guess. I want to say that I hope they see you in the future but that would mean a deterioration on your end so maybe not the best thing to wish for. It does sound like you have a decent GP though that she's willing to help and listen to you. How was last night btw? Did the man return?

Latest