The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sellerofdreams
Honestly UK schools sound really horrible. I can't believe how rude some of the students are! If any of us had told a teacher to piss off or deliberately not done any work we would have been publicly scolded, or maybe even suspended. And government schools are worse-they have a whole department in charge of discipline. Do u think schools could benefit from more discipline?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you from out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamesg2

My authority was restored and both I and the class soon settled down. They became my favourite class of all time and at the end of that year I asked if I could take them into the next year. I was really sorry when after our second year together they moved on.

It's a great feeling when you realise that a class that you previously dreaded has suddenly become a class that you look forward to seeing. I had this last year with one of my classes. I started looking forward to the lessons and consequently my relationship with them continued to improve as they responded to me better as they saw how optimistic I was about them.

Your senior management sound quite supportive. I wish mine were like that. I remember right at the very start of my NQT, my second week of teaching, a student said that I had a chode and then stuck his middle finger up at me blatantly. I called the senior management who spoke to the boy; he denied that any of that happened. The senior leader then asked other members of the class if the boy had said I had a chode and made the gesture and each of them said 'no'. The boy had threatened them beforehand to say 'no' when he knew that I was going to make a senior team call out as he was aware that they would be interviewed as witnesses.

Nothing happened to him as it was just my word against his.
Honestly UK schools sound really horrible. I can't believe how rude some of the students are! If any of us had told a teacher to piss off or deliberately not done any work we would have been publicly scolded, or maybe even suspended. And government schools are worse-they have a whole department in charge of discipline. Do u think schools could benefit from more discipline?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, yes and yes!

Not just for the teacher's benefit either. There is a whole wealth of evidence out there that better discipline can improve a school dramatically to the benefit of the students themselves.

This is probably one of my favourite blog entries of all time:

http://mrlock.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/its-the-behaviour-stupid-turning-a-tough-school-into-a-good-school/

I would love to work in that school!
Reply 563
Original post by Autistic Merit

lmao
Original post by alpen
lmao

Thanks for the rep. :biggrin:
Original post by Amy. J S
I've had to reply to your comments as you seem to be speaking everything that I want to. :smile: I too, am very keen to travel over to The Netherlands to explore their way of teaching- the education philosphy is admired all across the globe.
I'm an aspiring teacher, but I just don't want to go into teaching when at the moment it seems far too overpowering, and like the OP has said, teacher's in Modern schools in Britain are overwhelmed with burreacracy and poor behaviour from stressed and bored students, also very limited in what they want to do- and moreover, teach.

I guess I'll have to look at teaching abroad- I can't see myself teaching with the current state of the education system. International schools seem quite attractive to me at the moment. :smile:

I went to an intl school! Yeah the discipline there is reasonably good, far more lenient compared with local schools but much better than uk schools. There's a lot of pressure from the parents though, and kids do complain to parents if they don't like your style of teaching/if you haven't finished the syllabus. And I would agree with the teacher here, be stricter at the beginning. Kids know what they can get away with and I PROMISE you they will respect you if you are strict and know your stuff and it is far better to be respected than to be liked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know in my school there's a chewed up book with the homework in the staff room, where the dog really had eaten the homework, have you had any classic homework excuses that turned out to be true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JonnyD
Where are you from out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Malaysia:smile: international schools are often lambasted for their "poor discipline" but the worst thing I can remember happening was a boy trying to take his pants off and put them back on in one lesson while the teacher was writing on the blackboard. He didn't succeed. He was suspended for a week and scolded during assembly. In a government school he probably would have been caned.

Yes, yes and yes!

Not just for the teacher's benefit either. There is a whole wealth of evidence out there that better discipline can improve a school dramatically to the benefit of the students themselves.

This is probably one of my favourite blog entries of all time:

http://mrlock.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/its-the-behaviour-stupid-turning-a-tough-school-into-a-good-school/

I would love to work in that school!

I completely agree. It must be so difficult for the brighter students in the class to concentrate and for the leds bright students to achieve their potential when there are people throwing chairs at teachers. I'm honestly really shocked that the boy concerned wasn't expelled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaptainStrange
I know in my school there's a chewed up book with the homework in the staff room, where the dog really had eaten the homework, have you had any classic homework excuses that turned out to be true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of my students said he didn't do his homework because his computer got the blue screen of death and he got so angry that he threw it to the floor and broke it; it turned out to be true!
One of my students said he didn't do his homework because his computer got the blue screen of death and he got so angry that he threw it to the floor and broke it; it turned out to be true!

That's amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree. It must be so difficult for the brighter students in the class to concentrate and for the leds bright students to achieve their potential when there are people throwing chairs at teachers. I'm honestly really shocked that the boy concerned wasn't expelled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the chair hit my foot rather than my torso or my head so it was easy for the school to paint it as a lesser incident. They really will try any excuse not to exclude. So many times now I've heard of teachers being sworn at (including the most severe words and even some racist ones) and no severe punishment given. Sometimes even they get some one-on-one time with pastoral support staff because the poor thing has self-esteem issues which caused them to call their teacher a 'retard'!
Have any of the rumours about teachers at your school turned out to be true? I know at my school most of them are like the teacher that was in the Olympics, the two married teachers affair, one of the teachers getting the job because his mum was head ect. All turned out to be true.

Also are a disproportionate number of staff married to each other? We've got at least 5 married couples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaptainStrange
Have any of the rumours about teachers at your school turned out to be true? I know at my school most of them are like the teacher that was in the Olympics, the two married teachers affair, one of the teachers getting the job because his mum was head ect. All turned out to be true.

Also are a disproportionate number of staff married to each other? We've got at least 5 married couples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not much is ever disclosed to staff about rumours so I have no idea whether they are true or not. Rumours spread by students about affairs and staff paedophilia do exist and staff have left before following these rumours but we are never sure of the reason (i.e. whether they resigned or they got sacked). There was also a rumour about a teacher assaulting a student but I have no idea if this is true or not.

2 married couples in the school and 2 relationships.
Would you ever go back to uni?
Original post by Scienceisgood
Would you ever go back to uni?

Not even if they paid me!
Not even if they paid me!

Speaking of money, if you won the lottery (say £25m), would you retire or carry on teaching?

EDIT:
And what would you do with the money?
(edited 9 years ago)
Speaking of money, if you won the lottery (say £25m), would you retire or carry on teaching?

I would retire and shove a lot of it into savings to make it last as long as poss.
I would retire and shove a lot of it into savings to make it last as long as poss.

What would you do with the money then?
Also, do you have the same passion and drive now as when you first started teaching?
Also, going by the sound of it, you teach because of the pay cheque, not the thrill of teaching? :confused:
What would you do with the money then?
Also, do you have the same passion and drive now as when you first started teaching?
Also, going by the sound of it, you teach because of the pay cheque, not the thrill of teaching? :confused:

Tbh I'd sit on my arse a lot. I'm very lazy and haven't been abroad in years, not interested in cars or fancy clothes either so I can guarantee that that wouldn't be on the agenda. Most I tend to do is watch the football down the pub with friends.

I enjoy teaching just not as much as lying in bed and going on TSR!

Trust me when I say that if money were my only interest, I wouldn't be teaching!

Your senior management sound quite supportive. I wish mine were like that. I remember right at the very start of my NQT, my second week of teaching, a student said that I had a chode and then stuck his middle finger up at me blatantly. I called the senior management who spoke to the boy; he denied that any of that happened. The senior leader then asked other members of the class if the boy had said I had a chode and made the gesture and each of them said 'no'. The boy had threatened them beforehand to say 'no' when he knew that I was going to make a senior team call out as he was aware that they would be interviewed as witnesses.

Nothing happened to him as it was just my word against his.

sorry but this is the funniest thing in the world to me

Latest