The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Venatal
I've been to a GP about the problem twice now and they haven't been very helpful also I don't want my parents to know about it so i want to try to and avoid going to visit any kind of psychiatrist just want a quick fix, dosen't help that school is starting soon too :frown:

I'm not sure if there are any OTC meds that could help you, tbh. Could you see another GP within the same practice?

Others will be able to advise you in the morning :smile:
I could but I really want to get rid of it before school that's the only problem :frown:
Original post by Venatal
I could but I really want to get rid of it before school that's the only problem :frown:

You are going to have problems. The typical anti anxiety med group is benzodiazepenes. Doctors give these out very reluctantly because after consistent use a physical dependence can build up and withdrawals can be really bad. Another is beta blockers. Which more controls certain symptoms of anxiety and I'm not certain whether they'd be useful at all. Think one is called propanol. There might be one more prescription drug but it escapes me right now.

Then there are others which aren't anti anxiety per se but are illegal and are empathogens. Issue is they're illegal and harm reduction methods must be followed for them to reduce harm to your health. That being said they may give you the experience to realise that you have no reason to be socially anxious.

All this being said if you can't persuade your doctor to give you a prescription then therapy might help but I couldn't tell you how much it'd help.
I just want to be happy :cry2:
Original post by Venatal
No, honestly I just want a quick fix is there any drugs I can take or something :s-smilie:

As a general rule, most quick fixes are detrimental in the long term or hard to control, experience talking here. Benzos are effective but risky. :ninja:

See how quickly you can get a gp appointment, for anxiety i found beta blockers were best for short term, they start working in about 30 mins and really reduce anxiety for 3-4 hours, with the only real side effects being cold hands and feet. Like Alex mentioned, they will probably prescribe propanolol first.

If you want anything more long term, therapy and other meds would be your best bet. Constantly delaying something with quick fixes doesn't tend to deal with the root cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1545
Sometimes I come to and realise the impression I must give off to the world around me and it is so at odds with what I think of myself its untrue. I am basically a mentally unstable raging psycho. When i am happy/energetic i feel magnanimous and when i am down i feel meek. Unfortunately, I dont act like that apparently. no wonder I have lost so many friends and girlfriends.

I have a letter from my ex, we were together a couple of years and she said she didn't hate me but she felt like a nervous wreck and she was scared of me. Not scared cos I was aggressive towards her or anything but scared at the ferocity and unpredictability of my moods, scared of my incoherence and babbling and destructive manic energy where she felt like I was out of control and beyond rational communication.

Its horrible to have these realisations and to even see it in print and know that I am basically a ****ed up psycho. Politically Icincorrect I know but then people are politically incorrect and thatIis how they see me.
Aaargh TSR won't let me quote people or open spoilers! :stomp:

Mega hugs to everybody (hi newbies :hi:), and luno I'm really sorry I didn't PM you yesterday - I'm a bit ill at the moment and started feeling properly dreadful in the afternoon. :redface: Will PM today though, promise!
How can my mind be so strong and yet so weak at the same time?
Original post by superwolf

Mega hugs to everybody (hi newbies :hi:), and luno I'm really sorry I didn't PM you yesterday - I'm a bit ill at the moment and started feeling properly dreadful in the afternoon. :redface: Will PM today though, promise!

Superwolf! How are you? (besides being ill :console:) hope you feel better soon
Original post by Odd socks
Yeah :/ I can attract people but they never stay because

Personal stuff in the spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by IDukem
How can my mind be so strong and yet so weak at the same time?

:hugs: I wonder this too :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubble999
:hugs: I wonder this too :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just don't know :redface: I'm so determined and yet riddled with self-doubt :/ :hugs:
Reply 1552

No need to apologise, just reply when you can! Sorry you're not feeling well :hugs:.
Original post by bullettheory
Superwolf! How are you? (besides being ill :console:) hope you feel better soon

Bullettheory!!! :jumphug: Hello lovely, how've you been?

I'm doing pretty good, apart from having a bad cough/cold. Brain's still bubbling with craft projects and it was my birthday the other day, so I got a bunch of knitting books for further inspiration. *Still* waiting for my DBS check to come back so I can start my volunteering, which is a bit frustrating as I think it's going to be awesome, but what can you do eh? :tongue:

Hope your girlfriend's doing well, last I heard you were both going through a rough patch, so I hope both of you are doing better. :console:
Things aren't going very well at the minute- after a lot of effort to get on top of things over the last couple of years, I've found myself back at square one. My university spotted that I have an anxiety problem and have asked me to take time out from my studies- I told my family (but don't want to mention the anxiety part because I know they wouldn't take it well) and they really don't approve and are quite embarrassed by it because I will now be graduating after my younger siblings etc.

I hate the thought of having to go back into a new year-group where I don't know anyone, but I think the worst part is knowing that no-one from my old year-group is likely to notice that I've left at all. I don't have any friends at home either, so just feeling very alone, and like I've messed everything up. I'm normally into fitness but just haven't had any interest in that all summer which is frustrating me too because I've unsurprisingly lost a lot of fitness and trying to get back into the habit of exercising properly is a slow process.

To summarise, just feeling unhappy and alone and felt like saying hello.
Reply 1555
Getting more off days recently where I'm even more down than usual.

What are some good ways to sorta pick yourself up a bit or get through it?
Not really feeling good today made a cock up over the date of my mood management course. I had it on my phone as 28th and it's tomorrow instead. I ended up getting really panicky over it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1557
X

It was your birthday!? Happy birthday :party:!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you got all the DSA support in place? Do you have a mentor or someone you can check in with regularly and whom you can turn to if things start to go pear-shaped? :hugs:

Btw am hiding on Facebook if you wanna talk there. If I disappear, Dad has found me awake and shouted at me :colondollar:

not currently claiming DSA because i had a think about it and theres not much i would claim for :/ i do have my tutor and a new counsellor at uni to talk to though :redface: i think I'm just really nervous because autumn semester last year was one of the worst periods of my life ever and i don't want to end up like that again :/
Original post by Anonymous
Can i ask an entirely different question?? Does uni change yourself in terms of Anxiety and depression, since you said you cant wait to go back

i wish i was in uni this year to escape from my ****ing piece of **** family and i have belief that university will change my life

ermm, hard to say tbh. i've always been really enthusiastic about studying and I've always loved going to school and learning new things and expanding my knowledge and stuff, so i wouldn't say its impacted on that, and both me and my last counsellor agreed on the fact that i just have an anxious personality type - before everything bubbled over and caused issues, i was anxious anyway, especially about exams - and thats just the way i am. my depression definitely gets worse when i go to uni, because a lot of my self worth stems from my grades and my abilities, and because i get homesick, though.

i think its important to make sure you're going to uni for the right reasons, because it is hard, theres no two ways about it, university is bloody difficult.
Original post by IDukem
I just don't know :redface: I'm so determined and yet riddled with self-doubt :/ :hugs:

Couldn't have put it better myself

Latest