The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by So Instinct
Suarez won't make the group stages? He's still banned unless I've missed something.

Real would be worse than Barca, they'd tear our fullbacks apart. The mighty Glen Johnson fending of Bale/Ronaldo. If Suarez is back then it's probs worse for sentimental reasons, part of me wants it though :lol:
I'd put PSG above Juve too if Zlatan is back from his injury.
Monoco above Roma too probs, though this is just from reputation and the fact they have Falcao, though that could change. Don't know how they've done without Hhhamez

Roma don't look as great now they've lost Benatia. But Monaco have started their season rather poorly and they are struggling a bit financially.
Suarez won't make the group stages? He's still banned unless I've missed something.

Real would be worse than Barca, they'd tear our fullbacks apart. The mighty Glen Johnson fending of Bale/Ronaldo. If Suarez is back then it's probs worse for sentimental reasons, part of me wants it though :lol:
I'd put PSG above Juve too if Zlatan is back from his injury.
Monoco above Roma too probs, though this is just from reputation and the fact they have Falcao, though that could change. Don't know how they've done without Hhhamez

oh yeah, of course he wont; that's a relief!
factoring in that, definitely real are worse - i was wavering before because of suarez.
yeah basically barca/real, juve/PSG and monaco/roma were the teams i was wavering on
a combination of any of those would be a group of death for sure.

i think unless it's a group of death as seen above, there's no reason why we shouldn't get out of the group stages.
i would say we're pot 2 level - we could beat most teams in there and certaintly surprise a few of the pot 1 clubs.
Reply 1042
The only teams from Pot 2 and 4 that would be a concern are Juventus, Dortmund, PSG and maybe Roma depending on if they can get playing at their best again. Looks like they will be holding on to Strootman which is a massive plus for them. The rest we should realistically be finishing ahead of.

He's back at the end of the September and can still be registered in the squad. Iirc, 1st seed versus 3rd seed play each other in the 1st and 6th matches of the group, so he'd only play against us once.
Reply 1043
Heard some links to the Argentinian goalkeeper Sergio Romero from Sampdoria. He'd be decent competition for Mignolet but personally if we're going for a GK then I would go for this guy: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9443708/champions-league-emergency-keeper-sends-ludogorets-through-to-group-stage

On another note, Carragher is still my hero:

(edited 9 years ago)
We've always played considerably better with 2 strikers unless the lone striker was Suarez. We've won considerable games with Sturridge leading the line but never to the same degree, it was usually 1-0's etc.
It may have started as something BR was forced to do but it's deffo the best for us.

I don't even think there's much of an argument that playing with 2 strikers is better for us. Recently we've looked toothless and lacked forward presence without the second and even on Monday we only scored (own goal) when Lambert was on. Without him there was nobody in the middle if Sturridge ever pressed.

Well it's always easier when your 2 strikers are Sturridge and Suarez. Now we're looking at Sturridge and Balotelli/Lambert/Borini.

Also with one up front, we've played with 3 in midfield but that has usually been Gerrard, Henderson and Allen/Lucas. Imo once our other wings are fit, we can bring Coutinho or Lallana into the midfield and be more attacking with Sterling and then Markovic/Lallana/Coutinho on the flanks.
So does anyone think we'll sign anyone else in the next 5 days?
Original post by Zerforax

I can't see it.
Original post by Mackay
I can't see it.

Yea me either.

Surprised we haven't sold anyone yet.
Yea me either.

Surprised we haven't sold anyone yet.

Nine additions is hefty. I'm not sure I'd want a tenth.
Original post by Mackay
Nine additions is hefty. I'm not sure I'd want a tenth.

Arguably we've only lost one of our starters from last season in Suarez.

We let 2 players return from their loans and we sold Aspas.

So far that's only 4 down but then obviously more games from the CL which the other 5 should be able to cover.

I don't think we've changed much of our first choice 15 players from last season - if anything, we've just increased that choice to around 18/19.
We're going to beat Tottenham? Lol.

Who's with me? (me,lol)
Original post by AngelPhys
We're going to beat Tottenham? Lol.

Who's with me? (me,lol)

I am with you! Lol. :colone:
CL Draw:

16.45 BST, Thursday, August 28. Sky Sports or on the UEFA website.

We' re in pot 3 with Galatasaray, Sporting Lisbon, Leverkusen, Olypiakos, Moscow, Ajax, and Napoli. Which means would face the follow from:

Pot 1: Real Madrid, Munich, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, Benfica, Porto

Pot 2: Schalke, Dortmund, Juventus, PSG, Shakhtar, Basel, Zenit.

Pot 4: Anderlecht, Roma, Steaua Bucharest, APOEL FC, Maribor, BATE Borisov, Monaco, Malmo, Ludogorets Razgrad, Besiktas.

Athletic Bilbao knocked Napoli out last night. Would Bilbao be the same pot?
CL Draw:

16.45 BST, Thursday, August 28. Sky Sports or on the UEFA website.

We' re in pot 3 with Galatasaray, Sporting Lisbon, Leverkusen, Olypiakos, Moscow, Ajax, and Napoli. Which means would face the follow from:

Pot 1: Real Madrid, Munich, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, Benfica, Porto

Pot 2: Schalke, Dortmund, Juventus, PSG, Shakhtar, Basel, Zenit.

Pot 4: Anderlecht, Roma, Steaua Bucharest, APOEL FC, Maribor, BATE Borisov, Monaco, Malmo, Ludogorets Razgrad, Besiktas.

Hopefully won't be: Madrid, PSG and Roma. Lol.

Honestly, do we really NEED anybody else?

Pushing it, maybe a back up keeper but I think it all depends who we sell.
Obviously if we sell borini I expect a replacement to be quickly sorted.
Rumblings about song, but unless we sell Lucas I'm not sure we need him either.

Personally, I'd be fine if we're finished now.
Rodgers deserves a lot of praise for buying what we need essentially; he hasn't skimped out much on quality and I feel we have a much more rounded team now with less reliance on a specific player like Suarez.
Original post by Lúcio
Honestly, do we really NEED anybody else?

Pushing it, maybe a back up keeper but I think it all depends who we sell.
Obviously if we sell borini I expect a replacement to be quickly sorted.
Rumblings about song, but unless we sell Lucas I'm not sure we need him either.

Personally, I'd be fine if we're finished now.
Rodgers deserves a lot of praise for buying what we need essentially; he hasn't skimped out much on quality and I feel we have a much more rounded team now with less reliance on a specific player like Suarez.

Balotelli is a beast, lol.
**** me that's an underwhelming England squad.

So grateful I'm club over country.
Original post by Mackay
**** me that's an underwhelming England squad.

So grateful I'm club over country.

Think this is probably the worst England squad I've ever seen.

No strength anywhere.
Got a few brilliant players like sterling and Sturridge but England's ridiculous problem is that they can't defend and they also can't create enough chances in a game.
Urgh so annoyed I won't be able to watch the Liverpool v Tottenham game on Sunday. :hmpf:

Will Lallana be fit enough to start the game on Sunday or will he just come on to get 20/30 mins? I'm really excited to watch him play for us this season.
Original post by The.Joker
Urgh so annoyed I won't be able to watch the Liverpool v Tottenham game on Sunday. :hmpf:

Will Lallana be fit enough to start the game on Sunday or will he just come on to get 20/30 mins? I'm really excited to watch him play for us this season.

It's the first game I'll be able to watch properly!

I imagine Lallana will be bought into the side slowly? International break after the game so might as well give him a couple more weeks of training so as not to risk him.

Quick Reply

Latest