The Student Room Group

Anxious about going to sixth form alone.

Me and my best friend wanted to go to the same sixth form but I got the results and she didn't (for one particular subject she needed to do). I'm was unsure whether to still go to that sixth form but it is rated 'Outstanding' and has amazing exam results. The sixth form I'm going to is about an hour away (two buses) which I'm okay with, it's just the social side. It's attached to a year 10 and 11 and I'm sure everybody already has their friendship group, even the external students seem to as well. I don't know if I'm underestimating myself because everybody has told me I'm a confident person and it won't be hard for me to make friends and start conversations. There are some people from my old school going who are really nice but I don't want them to think I'm tagging along or have to rely on them to hang out with. How can I make friends and get on well with a wide range of people? I'm a friendly person and not judgemental at all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I may be in the same situation too. From what I heard, most people become friends with people on the same classes as them. I guess in college you don't really need a 'group' of friends as everybody becomes more independent. I'm sure you'll find a couple of friends easily.
From my experience people really mature going into sixth year. They'll be much easier to talk to and if you're new everyone will want to talk to you anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by maceve
I may be in the same situation too. From what I heard, most people become friends with people on the same classes as them. I guess in college you don't really need a 'group' of friends as everybody becomes more independent. I'm sure you'll find a couple of friends easily.

Thank you :smile: have you got any advice for making friends?
Reply 4
Original post by Sheepish153
From my experience people really mature going into sixth year. They'll be much easier to talk to and if you're new everyone will want to talk to you anyway.

Thank you:smile:
I started at a new sixth form last year, I made lots of friends! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Incubator
I started at a new sixth form last year, I made lots of friends! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I hope I do too! :s-smilie:
Original post by perfectmix
Thanks! I hope I do too! :s-smilie:

Only thing is, as crazy as this sounds, you actually want to minimize the number of friends you have, they can be a massive distraction. I've just finished my AS and I was distracted alot!
Reply 8
Only thing is, as crazy as this sounds, you actually want to minimize the number of friends you have, they can be a massive distraction. I've just finished my AS and I was distracted alot!

I guess it's a bonus that I'm not going to be with my best friend then, because we probably would have distracted each other. :colondollar:

And by distraction do you mean like if you work with your friends in frees?
I guess it's a bonus that I'm not going to be with my best friend then, because we probably would have distracted each other. :colondollar:

And by distraction do you mean like if you work with your friends in frees?

Just generally in lessons they can be a nuisance aha, and also yeah during freeze you tend to mess about quite alot with them lol
Reply 10
Just generally in lessons they can be a nuisance aha, and also yeah during freeze you tend to mess about quite alot with them lol

How much work do you think you would have gotten done if you hadn't have messed about with them?
(edited 9 years ago)
How much work do you think you would have gotten done if you hadn't have messed about with them?

Alot more! aha
Reply 12
Alot more! aha

haha!:tongue:
Reply 13
My best friend and some of my other friends were joking on Facebook and saying what a good day it was. Now I'm more nervous because what if I have a crap time whilst they're having fun?!
Reply 14
Bump!
Just say hello to everyone and seem interested in talking to the person. You would surly make friends while in sixth form. Ask about what subjects they are doing and what GCSE grades they got. Wish you luck:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
You're lucky I wish I was going alone. Going alone is so much better because not only is it a proper fresh start but you would tend to make more friends as of course you'll make more effect to be sociable instead of sticking with people you know. Don't worry you'll fit in much more easily
I'll be in this situation next year- my whole friendship group is off to do vocational courses at the same college, yet I want to do A levels elsewhere :s-smilie:
I moved sixth form because I moved house and had a 'bad' experience.
Everyone was already in their friend groups and I didn't get on with most of the other new students well.

It took me over half a year to settle in. I have good friends, but they are all dotted about in different friend groups. Most aren't willing to accept a new person. Me and my couple of best friends I made are 'in' this group at the moment, but we are second best and always will be.
Fact is if you join a friend group that's existed for years you will never be as good friends with them as they are with each other.

I had great friends at my old school. This friend making experience has made me worried for making friends at uni!
Reply 19
I was feeling a bit better about going until I saw on Facebook what a good time my best friend and everybody else was having. I feel like I'm missing out and that they're going to be having lots of fun whilst I'll be alone and miserable :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending