The Student Room Group

History help

Hey people

I didn't take history for GCSE but I'm taking it for A-level and I've been given some work over the summer to help me catch up. I have an activity where I have to match the dates to the events (or vice versa) and I'm stuck on a few is anyone able to help me please? (Google didn't help either!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what events?
as posted above which events are you stuck with?
Original post by AndrewGrace
as posted above which events are you stuck with?

[INDENT]I haven't actually been taught about these people and I'm not brilliant at just looking at text and learning. Please help me with this essay question for my homework!:

Was Gladstone or Disraeli the more significant nineteenth century political figure?

Thanks!

Original post by SgtStiffler

I haven't actually been taught about these people and I'm not brilliant at just looking at text and learning. Please help me with this essay question for my homework!:

Was Gladstone or Disraeli the more significant nineteenth century political figure?

Thanks!

Gladstone:
Served as Prime Minister four times
Served as Chancellor of the Exchequer four times
Prominent figure in the push for Irish Home Rule
Consider his domestic policy and its impact
Consider his foreign policy and its impact

Disraeli:
Prominent figure in the fall of Peel’s government in the 1840s
Passed the 1867 Second Reform Act ahead of the Liberals- Consider the impact of the fact that Disraeli’s bill was more radical then intended before
Served as Prime Minister twice

There are other strands of investigation to consider but this in a essay format should give you a fair bit to start with.

The key thing here is against what criteria are you measuring ‘significance’?
(edited 9 years ago)

Gladstone:

Disraeli:
Passed the 1867 Second Reform Act ahead of the Liberals- Consider the impact of the fact that Disraeli’s bill was more radical then intended before

There are other strands of investigation to consider but this in a essay format should give you a fair bit to start with.

I wasn't given any criteria, just the question. It's just some summer work before I start the A-level course next week! XD

Gladstone:

Disraeli:

Thanks for doing this, it's helped me a lot to do this essay. I was very stuck!
I wasn't given any criteria, just the question. It's just some summer work before I start the A-level course next week! XD

I didn't think you would be given any criteria, but when you get to A-level especially if you have terms such as success or impact and the question asks to what extent you have to decide for yourself how you are going to judge it and make this explicit throughout your essay
I didn't think you would be given any criteria, but when you get to A-level especially if you have terms such as success or impact and the question asks to what extent you have to decide for yourself how you are going to judge it and make this explicit throughout your essay

Yeah, I guess I'm still to learn these skills. My teacher did actually specify that this essay didn't have to be "AS level quality".
Yeah, I guess I'm still to learn these skills. My teacher did actually specify that this essay didn't have to be "AS level quality".

Absolutely, you can't be expected to demonstrate competence in AS level essay writing before you have even started, that would be remarkable. However if you expose yourself to these kinds of concepts and AS level writing techniques as soon as possible, you will be in a much better position to understand them as the year progresses.

However the general structure stays very similar

You follow a PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation) style for each of your paragraphs, the only real difference is you just need to keep linking each paragraph back to the original question to ensure that you are staying on track
Absolutely, you can't be expected to demonstrate competence in AS level essay writing before you have even started, that would be remarkable. However if you expose yourself to these kinds of concepts and AS level writing techniques as soon as possible, you will be in a much better position to understand them as the year progresses.

However the general structure stays very similar

You follow a PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation) style for each of your paragraphs, the only real difference is you just need to keep linking each paragraph back to the original question to ensure that you are staying on track

I know that I have to make an argument for both, but do you overall think it was Disraeli or Gladstone who had the greatest impact?
I know that I have to make an argument for both, but do you overall think it was Disraeli or Gladstone who had the greatest impact?

They are quite close in terms of impact, hence why the question is quite difficult. Disraeli's passing of the Second Reform Act is big (enfranchising the urban working class). However ultimately the event I would probably say Gladstone (in quite a negative fashion really) as his pursuit of Home Rule for Ireland ultimately split the Liberal party and resulted in a period of Conservative Domination in government from 1886-1905
They are quite close in terms of impact, hence why the question is quite difficult. Disraeli's passing of the Second Reform Act is big (enfranchising the urban working class). However ultimately the event I would probably say Gladstone (in quite a negative fashion really) as his pursuit of Home Rule for Ireland ultimately split the Liberal party and resulted in a period of Conservative Domination in government from 1886-1905

How could there be Conservative domination if the Liberals won the 1892 election?
How could there be Conservative domination if the Liberals won the 1892 election?

This was a minor blip in an period otherwise dominated by the Conservatives due to the support of Chamberlain and the Liberal unionists

The Liberals were also only in power from 1892-94
(edited 9 years ago)
This was a minor blip in an period otherwise dominated by the Conservatives due to the support of Chamberlain and the Liberal unionists

All right. I've finished now, thanks for your help! I'll have to follow your account in case I need you again. :biggrin:
All right. I've finished now, thanks for your help! I'll have to follow your account in case I need you again. :biggrin:

That's absolutely fine, feel free to get in-touch whenever you wish. Also i'm guessing 19th century Britain is your A-level topic?
That's absolutely fine, feel free to get in-touch whenever you wish. Also i'm guessing 19th century Britain is your A-level topic?

Yeah, along with the First Crusade for the source exams.
Unfortunately i cannot be of help with the crusades, but i did my A-levels on 19th century Britain and have continued to study it and kept the majority of the resources so i can be of assistance with that...
Unfortunately i cannot be of help with the crusades, but i did my A-levels on 19th century Britain and have continued to study it and kept the majority of the resources so i can be of assistance with that...

Hey Andrew, I'm back again with another essay. I just wanted your opinion on the question 'why was the Liberal party formed in 1859.' I need three clear points for paragraphs, so far I'm thinking:
1) To keep the personalities and political ideas of Russel and Palmerston together.
2) A need for party structure (people needed to make a final decision whether to go Liberal or Conservative).
3) The threat of the Conservative party.

I'm not wholly sure that I can write a lot about those points, so any input would be appreciated.
Hey Andrew, I'm back again with another essay. I just wanted your opinion on the question 'why was the Liberal party formed in 1859.' I need three clear points for paragraphs, so far I'm thinking:
1) To keep the personalities and political ideas of Russel and Palmerston together.
2) A need for party structure (people needed to make a final decision whether to go Liberal or Conservative).
3) The threat of the Conservative party.

I'm not wholly sure that I can write a lot about those points, so any input would be appreciated.

That's fine, this isn't my strongest area (my periods are 1815-46 and 1867-1915) but i'll try and help as the essay concept is the same.

1. Individuals are important to the liberal party, just make sure when you write this paragraph you keep focused on the question and don't end up describing the two men's personalities and ideas

2. Instead of Liberal vs Conservative, consider the different factions that made up the liberals (whigs, Peelites, and radicals) and why this would mean the party needed structure?

3. Remember that the 1850s was dominated by the liberals, however the Conservatives post-Peel were becoming more of a threat and by forming a 'Liberal Party' then they would be better placed to deal with this threat. (See if you can find an figures from elections within the 1850s and see if they show any growing conservative threat)

Ultimately you will gain more marks by stating which one of these three reasons is the most important and evaluating why that is the case within the context of the 1850s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending