The Student Room Group

Tenant and Guarantor Agreements.. What's your experience?

Ill be moving into the private rent sector this September for the next year whilst studying at university and will be house sharing with 4 other people, as my university is not providing me with halls. Throughout this process of searching for a house, I was particularly shocked at the guarantor agreements that seem to state that they are liable to every tenant in the house share, even those they are not signing the guarantor contract for. So, if another tenant doesn't pay their rent, another person's personal guarantor is liable to paying that, even though the landlord may resort to going to that person who hasn't paid their rent personal guarantor first, another persons guarantor still has responsibility to pay that rent if that person cannot do so. Now, this could be me being abit naive, but I just don't see why one tenant's inability to pay rent should effect another tenant's Guarantor, especially since they have their own personal guarantor!

As I am new to all of this property talk I'd like to know some of your experiences being a guarantor or tenant. Whether you're a tenant and had an issue with your fellow tenant paying rent or you're a guarantor and have had to pay for another tenants rent because of they were unable to. I'd just like to know the different experiences you've had and hopefully I can learn and take note from them! Would really appreciate some responses! Thanks in Advance

I also apologise for the lack of clarity in this post, as I aforementioned, I'm new to all of this and therefore am still confused on allot of things concerning the private sector! :smile:
Firstly it is a standard contract term.
However I have had 3 kids go through university who had 6 tenancy agreements between them and I NEVER accepted the clause. I just sent the contract back with that clause crossed out and a covering letter saying that I was not prepared to accept it. I never had a problem with any landlord. They all removed it from the final contract.
However the tenants are equally and separately responsible clause always applied, I was just not underwriting it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by balotelli12
I just sent the contract back with that clause crossed out and a covering letter saying that I was not prepared to accept it

Top advice
Reply 3
Original post by balotelli12
Firstly it is a standard contract term.
However I have had 3 kids go through university who had 6 tenancy agreements between them and I NEVER accepted the clause. I just sent the contract back with that clause crossed out and a covering letter saying that I was not prepared to accept it. I never had a problem with any landlord. They all removed it from the final contract.
However the tenants are equally and separately responsible clause always applied, I was just not underwriting it.

This is a really good approach. I doubt many student estate agents would argue with it and actually most LLs never need to invoke the clause.

OP we had someone drop out on us in uni and the LL did threaten to rely on that clause. We just found someone else to move in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending