The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We haven't had any sort of careers advice yet in our school. There is an advisor but nobody knows where or when to meet her... I wish they could give me some tips, I have no clue what I want to do with my life... although I might study Japanese at uni, which will be made easier as I'm intending to do Chinese to A Level.
Original post by Steliata
We haven't had any sort of careers advice yet in our school. There is an advisor but nobody knows where or when to meet her... I wish they could give me some tips, I have no clue what I want to do with my life... although I might study Japanese at uni, which will be made easier as I'm intending to do Chinese to A Level.

:O I wish we were given the option of Chinese!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
:O I wish we were given the option of Chinese!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're the first year to be able to do it. It's really nice because our teacher's awesome (we've gone from practically illiterate to Bs and beyond) and it's only a class of ten as you had to be in top set languages to be considered for it. :smile:
We're the first year to be able to do it. It's really nice because our teacher's awesome (we've gone from practically illiterate to Bs and beyond) and it's only a class of ten as you had to be in top set languages to be considered for it. :smile:

That's awesome :smile: Do you do any other languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
That's awesome :smile: Do you do any other languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't, no. I dropped French at GCSE because I'd asked around and people who'd taken it said that the teachers were just coaching them through the exams, not teaching them the language. Chinese was a bit of a gamble to be honest as the teacher was new this year but it's worked out well :smile:

I would like to learn German at some point though. I went on a scout jamboree there this year and came back totally in love with the country...
I don't, no. I dropped French at GCSE because I'd asked around and people who'd taken it said that the teachers were just coaching them through the exams, not teaching them the language. Chinese was a bit of a gamble to be honest as the teacher was new this year but it's worked out well :smile:

I would like to learn German at some point though. I went on a scout jamboree there this year and came back totally in love with the country...

Germany IS a lovely country :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
:teehee: :ahee:

Organisation fetish is the best thing ever. xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
:rofl:Odd but so true :awesome:

Odd just about sums me up xD I'm the kid that pre-orders her Palgrave Academic Diary just to make sure she gets one.
But, seriously, Palgrave forever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
:toofunny: We will definitely get along...
My school bag hasn't arrived and I ordered it days ago :frown:

:frown: I ordered all my stationery at the weekend and I don't think it will be here in time for next Thursday :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 729
Oh right. I'm near Chester. I have a friend that goes to Grange but he's in the year below and I haven't really talked to him that much about school. Tbh all I know about Grange is how their rowing team is doing (not that well) haha :smile:

My knowledge of the Grange is only that they have a number of ridiculous extra-curricular activities, I remember looking at a prospectus out of curiosity, and there's some weird stuff on there - I recall one being called 'Irresponsible experiments club', made me think of Breaking Bad hahaha.

Original post by Martie08
We have 1-to-1 careers interviews when we get back. *shudders*

Ugh, I'd find that so uncomfortable, the one with a few of us was awkward enough that none of us took it seriously, not sure I could deal with with it alone. :/
Original post by evekip
My knowledge of the Grange is only that they have a number of ridiculous extra-curricular activities, I remember looking at a prospectus out of curiosity, and there's some weird stuff on there - I recall one being called 'Irresponsible experiments club', made me think of Breaking Bad hahaha.

Haha, Irresponsible Experiments Club sounds like great fun! :smile:
Original post by Mr...
I always hand pick my stationary at stores :yep:

I just got the basics - tomorrow I'm picking up my diary from the beautiful Waterstones and going to get some cute ring binders and fluffy pens. Never too old for fluffy pens!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
I remember fluffy pens. Every girl I know has at least a billion :lol:

Well, they stop most of the guys from attempting to steal your stationery!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
:lol:
Someone has vowed to steal all my equipment :colonhash:

:redface: I would not be able to handle it. I have felt tips and fineliners that all have to be lined up in colour order, so of you want to annoy me, just mix them up xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to all of you this year !! :biggrin::top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deansimpala
Good luck to all of you this year !! :biggrin::top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I think I might need it xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any one got any advice on how to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lfc1998

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I like to make summary sheets from my revision guide/textbook. I also do lots of practice questions and use practice papers. I make flash cards and other revision materials that I'll need for the final exams to save me time in the long run. It's a lot practising what I know and making sure I know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 738
Original post by Lfc1998

Posted from TSR Mobile

Varies from subject to subject really - anything in particular you're having issues with?

For stuff like geography, business studies and sciences, mind maps tend to work best for me, as well as exam style questions. I draw out mind maps first using a revision guide/bitesize, and then try and re-do them until I can do it by memory without anything else, which helps me learn key facts for these kind of subjects. And exam style questions are just good practice for getting used to what to write and how much to write in exams, you can usually find them in revision guides or online.

For maths and languages, I tend to go for going over what I've been doing in class (or learning what I didn't understand in class, I'm really crappy at listening in these subjects) using bitesize or something, and trying to do it regularly through the year rather than cramming before exams. Then, past papers are the way forward once you think you know your stuff so you can see where you screw up and can learn that too. :smile:

Hopefully this helped you a bit? These are just how I prefer to do it, different stuff works for different people I guess :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Martie08
We have 1-to-1 careers interviews when we get back. *shudders*

We had those at the end of year 10 for half an hour each, I personally didn't find it useful as the careers advice guy wouldn't stop talking and he told me things I already knew.

Posted from TSR Mobile