The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm in exactly the same place.

Im pretty sure I might have the added bonus od needing to book a hotel the night before placement days as I'm commuting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you not get temporary accommodation near your placement? My housemate who did OT had to do this when she was placed far away. It might work out cheaper than commuting too.
I'm mainly looking forward to placements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in exactly the same place.

Im pretty sure I might have the added bonus od needing to book a hotel the night before placement days as I'm commuting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be commuting but my uni say they take commute and use of public transport into account when sorting placements - hopefully yours is the same!

Original post by brown shuga
I'm mainly looking forward to placements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am, but that's also the bit I'm most nervous about!! Haha.
Original post by *Interrobang*
How far? Generally unis have schools in quite a wide range :smile: And that could get very expensive - you're doing secondary aren't you? My housemates who did secondary were on placement for about 6 weeks before Christmas and almost all of January-May afterwards (apart from school hols obviously)

I'm commuting about an hour by train so crossing my fingers for a decent placement. They know the situation though and that moving might be too stressful for now so I'm hoping for a good placement at least until I can drive.

Living at home with no rent or anything (even my food is paid for) means spending £30 in a hotel the night before placement shouldn't be too expensive. And I have friends living in my uni city too so I can stay there sometimes.

Original post by Chrissi86
It could get very expensive for you. I know my university helps to pay for accommodation if it's too far away. I wonder if yours will be the same?

I have a good bursary because I'm computing. I'm commuting anyway but they'll help with travel costs if they're insanely high so if it's not too awkward a journey it'll be fine but I also have disabled student allowance that can cover accommodation and travel. Just hoping it pans out okay. The nerves are definitely kicking in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shelly_x
Could you not get temporary accommodation near your placement? My housemate who did OT had to do this when she was placed far away. It might work out cheaper than commuting too.

If I need to I'll definitely be looking into it. My wife and puppy are going to be stuck in my hometown because she works at our local uni so we're a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hoping I can put up with the travel for now but if I need to I'll investigate renting a room for my placement weeks. I'm lucky that I've got a timetable so already know all of my placement days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pgce starts in about 10 days, and I am starting to get really nervous. Anyone feeling the same?
Living at home with no rent or anything (even my food is paid for) means spending £30 in a hotel the night before placement shouldn't be too expensive. And I have friends living in my uni city too so I can stay there sometimes.

When you are on placement 4-5 days a week for 6 months in the second term, this might become a problem..... plus the added costs of eating out vs cooking for yourself!
Original post by Filledusoleil
Pgce starts in about 10 days, and I am starting to get really nervous. Anyone feeling the same?

Not at all nervous. I probably should be. 'Blissfully and naively optimistic' is how I'm sure I will describe my current self in a month or so's time.
Not so much scared of the programme itself. I have been a TA for a long time and somehow I know what to expect. But having been working for the last 8 years in the same place, I am a bit anxious of all the changes. Plus, student finance and all are really stressing me out.
I wasn't nervous but it is hitting me a bit now....worrying I'm not good enough, worrying about finances for the year, worrying about the amount of work.... yeah. Still mega excited and that outweighs the worry, but I'm definitely feeling the nerves now.
My school direct begins on Monday and my main worry right now is that I haven't been in a full time job for over ten years (I've been a stay at home mum with a few part time jobs, volunteering etc). So I'm pretty scared at the big culture shock that will bring!
I am very much looking forward to teaching, though. I can't wait to find out what will be expected of me and to get stuck in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm starting on monday and getting so nervous! Can somebody tell me what the subject audits are like? (Primary Early years) Will they be tests that we have to pass like how the skills tests were?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bubblyraindrop
I'm starting on monday and getting so nervous! Can somebody tell me what the subject audits are like? (Primary Early years) Will they be tests that we have to pass like how the skills tests were?

It'll be fine, don't worry :smile:. Good luck with the test, I have 3 audits for the core subjects and I'm really worried about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblyraindrop

No idea. I would have thought they did the audit prior from being accepted for the course.
Original post by Filledusoleil
No idea. I would have thought they did the audit prior from being accepted for the course.

Some universities do prior to being accepted and also before you start the course like mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, wow! Hope they don't do that to us :frown:
If I need to I'll definitely be looking into it. My wife and puppy are going to be stuck in my hometown because she works at our local uni so we're a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hoping I can put up with the travel for now but if I need to I'll investigate renting a room for my placement weeks. I'm lucky that I've got a timetable so already know all of my placement days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may get lucky and be placed nearish where you live. Unis often have placements like an hour/hour and a half away from the uni that no one wants to be placed in due to the distance but one of these might be near you and be quite convenient.
Does anyone how the placement system works, like how many weeks do you spend in each school and stuff?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brown shuga
Does anyone how the placement system works, like how many weeks do you spend in each school and stuff?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally depends which course you are doing, and with which uni.

I did Secondary History at MMU and mine was structured like this: 2 weeks in uni in September, an induction week at placement school and then an alternative placement for 3 days. Back to first placement school from end of Sept to end of December term.

In January, we had 2 weeks at uni again and then stayed at our second placement from end of Jan-May. Then we had a week to write our last essay, and 3 weeks enrichment.
Original post by Shelly_x
You may get lucky and be placed nearish where you live. Unis often have placements like an hour/hour and a half away from the uni that no one wants to be placed in due to the distance but one of these might be near you and be quite convenient.

They've told me they have placements available in the county between where I live and where my uni is. That's be ideal for one of them.

Original post by gingerbreadman85
When you are on placement 4-5 days a week for 6 months in the second term, this might become a problem..... plus the added costs of eating out vs cooking for yourself!

I have friends that can feed me/house me occasionally so it'd be occasionally hoteling (and I'll have the £20k bursary so don't really mind about expense if it saves me sanity). I've seen my placement timetable and it isn't too frequent. If the placement is too awkward I'll investigate getting a room near my placement and just coming home at the weekend. Not knowing is the bit that's killing me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending