The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Year 1 English at Bristol

Hi!

I've firmed my conditional offer for an undergraduate English course at Bristol. Since I have a lot of time spare over the summer, I wanted to start reading (or at least purchasing) some of the books I will need for Year 1 of the course, but apparently we aren't given reading lists until after results day.
I was wondering if any current students could advise me as to what texts are likely to come up in the compulsory modules for Year One.

Has anyone else who's applied for English started their preparatory summer reading? I'm working through some of the classics with some Shakespeare as a starting point.

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm bumping this as I was wondering the same - can any English students help us out?!
I haven't started reading yet which is beginning to worry me a bit so I'd like to get going.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
have you had the recent email which informs us of the core required texts we need to buy?
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
have you had the recent email which informs us of the core required texts we need to buy?

Yes :smile: It seems that they haven't actually recommended any specific texts which we will be studying, because they change each year depending on the lecturer.

What have you chosen in regards to the Contemporary Writing/Old English/Open Units?
Original post by strangephenomena
Yes :smile: It seems that they haven't actually recommended any specific texts which we will be studying, because they change each year depending on the lecturer.

What have you chosen in regards to the Contemporary Writing/Old English/Open Units?

I'm really not sure they all appeal to me in different ways! Old English seems interesting because of learning Anglo-Saxon English but then you also have Shakespeare... uggh. Guess I will have to decide soon :confused: What about you???
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
I'm really not sure they all appeal to me in different ways! Old English seems interesting because of learning Anglo-Saxon English but then you also have Shakespeare... uggh. Guess I will have to decide soon :confused: What about you???

I chose Old English. I figured that I've never done anything quite like it before, and there are plenty of opportunities to do Contemporary Literature in Years 2 and 3.
Besides, after two hellish years of doing A-Level Latin, Old English can't be much worse. Can it? :afraid:
When are we going to get a list of the actual texts we are studying (not the Norton Anthology, thesaurus or dictionary)?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending