The Student Room Group

Starting to drink and go clubbing at university

Scroll to see replies

Take it slow on your first night out, you will soon build up your tolerance :smile: As soon as you go back to halls, drink loads of water
Reply 41
Hello OP,

I would suggest you have weak spirit/fizzy drink mixers before and during your night. They are good at controlling how drunk you get. I imagine at a pre-drink you could make it like 25% spirit and the rest fizzy drink since you're a bit of a noob. I find beer disgusting so I never recommend it. Ciders can be nice, mostly fruit ciders. But I find they make me nauseous after a while.

Or, do what I did. Drink a bottle of voddy and just go for it. It's ONE time and it'll pass if anything goes wrong. If you have normal 300ml-ish size cups, I imagine you'll feel the buzz halfway through your second glass and you'll feel tipsy by the end of your third.

If you eventually find you can hack your alcohol, DROP the mixers and drink your drink straight. It's not a joke, you will drink SO much coke it's horrid, you will consume disgusting levels of sugar, combined with the uni diet, it's diabetes waiting to happen.

Good luck, OP. well done for getting advice and not just hoping it'll all go swimmingly well.
Reply 42
Original post by Arnamdo
These types of post sadden me. The choices are not only about "doing the course" or drinking. The big choices are around establishing your independence, participating in a community by living among your fellows and contributing something to that academic institution. No one says you can not commute but it simply misses half the point of university. You may as well sit in your bedroom doing the Open Uni, save some money and work part time. But that is not the point is it ?

Wrong thread bro.
Cider is easy at first because it is sweet, and can taste good at room temp and chilled in most cases. Later you could try like a single mixer JD and coke or something of the like. I personally can't stand the taste of most spirits except Rum, but if you have a few drinks first you will be less sensitive to taste.

And all other senses for that matter...
You can always ease yourself in with a shandy. it's ~50% beer & 50% lemonade. Takes the bitter edge off some of the lagers and is very refreshing plus dilutes the alcohol content so leaves you a bit more robust for the night. If I'm out for a few pints with the lads for saturday football I'll generally drink shandys rather than full pints.
1. Practice beforehand. Just have a quiet evening in with 3-4 bottles of beer or cider. Find what you like. Cider is sweeter but soon gets sickly. Beer is an acquired taste at first but very moreish.
2. Drink slowly. Stick to long drinks like beers and ciders, not spirits or shots. As the night wears on, alternate alcohol with pints of tap water. If you start to feel sick or dizzy, just stop drinking alcohol altogether.
3. If you do get sick, don't worry about it. Just remember to wash you mouth out.
4. Check out the TSR alcohol guide so you know what's what. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/alcohol_guide_for_freshers
Better to be sick at night than in the morning. The less alcohol you have in your body while sleeping, the less you will feel the after-affects
Original post by _infinity_
i hate people that drink to get drunk

If you switched the alcohol with fake alcohol they would still pretend to be drunk....:angry:

There have been numerous experiments using placebo alcoholic drinks to distinguish the socio-cultural effects of drinking from the physiological effects. The group on the placebo always get more drunk and more aggressive than the group on real alcohol.

This is because our culture of fear is that people drinking should behave like *****, so they feel that psychological pressure to conform to this, but without the actual calming and relaxing effects of the actual alcohol.
I just get giggly drunk
Original post by LukeyJB
A pint of lager, about 500ml. Far too high a quantity and tastes like piss. Get a nice flavoured cider or maybe try having a single vodka mixer if you haven't drank before, you'll probably feel a bit tipsy after two-three.

A pint is 568ml... you mention that lager tastes like piss which is a fair opinion to have but what about ales or stouts... or craft beers? This island has a strong history of ale brewing... it's a sin to only mention ****ty lager :wink:
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
A pint is 568ml... you mention that lager tastes like piss which is a fair opinion to have but what about ales or stouts... or craft beers? This island has a strong history of ale brewing... it's a sin to only mention ****ty lager :wink:

Personally I hate pretty much all types of lager/beer/ale etc, I just don't like the taste of them :biggrin:
Original post by LukeyJB
Personally I hate pretty much all types of lager/beer/ale etc, I just don't like the taste of them :biggrin:

No-one does when they're 14, stick with it and by the time you leave school you will think it is the single nicest thing you've ever tasted. Happens to everyone.
Original post by cole-slaw
No-one does when they're 14, stick with it and by the time you leave school you will think it is the single nicest thing you've ever tasted. Happens to everyone.

I'm a 19 year old second year university student...
Original post by LukeyJB
I'm a 19 year old second year university student...

oh dear, Lukey.
Original post by cole-slaw
oh dear, Lukey.

Excuse me?
Original post by Welsh_insomniac

This. I prefer cider and most people are like "FFS STRONGBOW IS DIRT M8!!1"... yeah no ****. Buy a quality cider like Westons and they're much nicer and quite economical (vintage ciders around 7% for around £2 a bottle)
Point is people try the cheapest crappiest version of a drink and then think they're all as disgusting as that. Carling WILL taste like piss, real ale/craft beers are generally drinkable.
Original post by LukeyJB
Excuse me?

I think what he's referring to is one of two things either

A) you look approx 14 in your profile picture :P

OR

B) If at the age of 19 you haven't progressed past flavoured ciders you need to seriously consider handing in your man card :wink:
Don't listen to the wetties telling you to take it slow. Drink as much as you want, go hard or go home. If you start to feel ill, go the toilets for a quick tactical chunder and then carry on drinking. Throwing up not the end of the night, it is just the beginning.

I recommend Jagerbombs. The Red Bull in them will stop you getting too drunk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending