The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Hey guys, I'm curious as to what all of you got in your AS results? I got relatively low AS grades (ABBB) this year and although I'll be resitting some of the modules, I really don't think I'll be getting an offer from UCL/Warwick/Oxford/Bristol/Bath this year. I'm hoping my GCSEs (10A*s and 2As) and high A2 predicted grades (A*A*A) are enough to get me offers but I'm not optimistic. Anyways, how did you all do at AS?
Original post by fha96
Hey guys, I'm curious as to what all of you got in your AS results? I got relatively low AS grades (ABBB) this year and although I'll be resitting some of the modules, I really don't think I'll be getting an offer from UCL/Warwick/Oxford/Bristol/Bath this year. I'm hoping my GCSEs (10A*s and 2As) and high A2 predicted grades (A*A*A) are enough to get me offers but I'm not optimistic. Anyways, how did you all do at AS?

I got 4 As. I would not recommend applying for oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL with those AS grade simply because they will have more than enough applicants with better grades to choose from. Bristol and Bath are still viable I would think as long as the B wasn't in maths.
Would it be stupid if I applied to both Economics and Economics with year abroad at UCL?
I have a friend who applied to economics and economics with international studies at Nottingham and picked them as her firm and insurance, they gave her two different offers as well!
Original post by fha96

I got 4As and a B in chinese :smile: (although I'm resitting the speaking in chinese I think)
Are those the 5 you're thinking of applying to or have you got any other choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Djangoo
Would it be stupid if I applied to both Economics and Economics with year abroad at UCL?

Hmm, email the department and see what they say. I think I remember asking them last year and they said that it wasn't possible to get 2 offers from the same department, so you'll either get 1 or 0 offers. I think it makes sense not to apply to both, since applying twice will not double your chances, it has no effect.
Reply 226
Original post by NinjaPandaa
I got 4As and a B in chinese :smile: (although I'm resitting the speaking in chinese I think)
Are those the 5 you're thinking of applying to or have you got any other choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are pretty much my final choices since I want to pursue a career in investment banking, so its crucial that I get into a top uni. UCL and Warwick are by far my preferred choices. I'm doing Welsh Bac too and UCL actually include it their offer so I'm hoping that works in my favour.
Original post by fha96
Those are pretty much my final choices since I want to pursue a career in investment banking, so its crucial that I get into a top uni. UCL and Warwick are by far my preferred choices. I'm doing Welsh Bac too and UCL actually include it their offer so I'm hoping that works in my favour.

Ah cool have you not thought about a backup aab/abb uni just in case ygm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 228
Ah cool have you not thought about a backup aab/abb uni just in case ygm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I considered that but decided that if I don't get offers from UCL/Oxford/Warwick/(maybe Bristol) due to my AS grades then I'd rather take a gap year (providing I get at least A*A*A at A2) and then try again a year later. But still, I don't want to be a year behind:/
Original post by fha96
I considered that but decided that if I don't get offers from UCL/Oxford/Warwick/(maybe Bristol) due to my AS grades then I'd rather take a gap year (providing I get at least A*A*A at A2) and then try again a year later. But still, I don't want to be a year behind:/

I don't think it makes much difference once you get to uni whether you're a year older or not :smile:
What a-levels are you doing btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 230
I don't think it makes much difference once you get to uni whether you're a year older or not :smile:
What a-levels are you doing btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess you have a point. I'm doing biology (which I had the A in), chemistry, physics and French. As you can see I didn't do AS maths because I only decided that I wanted to do economics midway through year 12, as I was previously interested in medicine. I'm doing the whole A Level maths course in Year 13 (while dropping chemistry and physics) and my school has said they'll predict me A* in maths. I've also emailed the unis I'm applying to and they're all fine with my course of action:smile: It's complicated, I know lol
Original post by fha96
I guess you have a point. I'm doing biology (which I had the A in), chemistry, physics and French. As you can see I didn't do AS maths because I only decided that I wanted to do economics midway through year 12, as I was previously interested in medicine. I'm doing the whole A Level maths course in Year 13 (while dropping chemistry and physics) and my school has said they'll predict me A* in maths. I've also emailed the unis I'm applying to and they're all fine with my course of action:smile: It's complicated, I know lol

Ah cool I see, well have fun with the whole of maths aha, it's only 6 modules though so not too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fha96

You should be trying for LSE if you want to get into banking
Reply 233
Ah cool I see, well have fun with the whole of maths aha, it's only 6 modules though so not too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol thanks:smile: I've already taught myself C1 this summer and should be finishing C2 soon so it shouldn't be too difficult
Reply 234
Original post by Mike_123
You should be trying for LSE if you want to get into banking

I was going to apply to LSE but I found out today that they ask for your AS UMS marks. Mine weren't exactly outstanding so I don't think there is any point in me applying to LSE. Plus I've heard that the undergraduate student satisfaction is apparently really low there. For banking it doesn't matter which uni you go to as long as its one of the target/semi-target unis
Original post by fha96
I was going to apply to LSE but I found out today that they ask for your AS UMS marks. Mine weren't exactly outstanding so I don't think there is any point in me applying to LSE. Plus I've heard that the undergraduate student satisfaction is apparently really low there. For banking it doesn't matter which uni you go to as long as its one of the target/semi-target unis

Be careful with student satisfaction scores, they can be false. Someone I know told me at some lower ranked uni's they tell students the higher rating they give, the more their degree is worth since it raises the rankings etc.
Original post by Bloxorus
As someone who went though the application process last year and secured a place at UCL yesterday, if anyone has any questions, fire away :smile:

Hi,

Yeah I'm considering applying to UCL for Economics and was wondering, (if you don't mind), how your AS results went and what you were predicted for A2?
Got AAAB in Maths, Econ, Physics and Chem.
I would like to apply for Economics, to (so far) Oxford, Bristol and Warwick, but I'm still thinking about my last two choices from Notts, Durham, Bath, Exeter and York.
At GCSE, I got 8A*s, 2A's and 2B's, and at AS, in Maths, FM, Economics and Physics, I got AAAB respectively
I'm sure I'll get A*A*AB predictions at least.
Do I have a good chance to get offers from these unis, and if so, which ones?

Original post by Tucking_Fypo
I would like to apply for Economics, to (so far) Oxford, Bristol and Warwick, but I'm still thinking about my last two choices from Notts, Durham, Bath, Exeter and York.
At GCSE, I got 8A*s, 2A's and 2B's, and at AS, in Maths, FM, Economics and Physics, I got AAAB respectively
I'm sure I'll get A*A*AB predictions at least.
Do I have a good chance to get offers from these unis, and if so, which ones?

Have you been to any if the campuses?

I've been to nottingham, bath(not the campus though) and durham but not the others so I can only give you opinions on the actual places
Nottingham is a really big city with loads of shops and the campus is big (a fair bit bigger than warwick) and is lovely (I'm applying there :biggrin:)
Durham is pretty small, in between the size of oxford and cambridge imo and it's similar to the two with colleges so that could be something to think about
Bath is super pretty but I think it can be quite touristy

Rankings wise those 5 are fairly similar è.g. just below the top 5 so I don't think that'll make much difference

You'll just have to think about where you'll want to spend the next 3 years really with those :smile: and yeah I don't see why you wouldn't get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 239
Hey guys! Is there anyone here that's doing the Cambridge International Exams (CIE)? My grades at AS were pretty bad (BBCD), so I've decided to drop the subject I got a D on, and re-take the C and one B, but here's what I want to ask. What Unis would you guys I recommend I apply to, considering my predicted grades are A*BB? The subjects I did are Psychology, Economics, Math, and English language, respectively.

EDIT: In hindsight, I suppose it's worth mentioning that: I do not go to a school. Not because I don't want to, but because there is none available (none that teaches A-levels, anyways), at least not near me. (The closest school is 3 hours away from home)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending