The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Your favourite type of alcoholic drink and brand?
Also, where you said 99% of your school is White British, which region do you teach in to have such a high number? :eek:
I.e. North, South, North East, South West etc...
Original post by Scienceisgood
Your favourite type of alcoholic drink and brand?

Guinness :smile:

Also, where you said 99% of your school is White British, which region do you teach in to have such a high number? :eek:
I.e. North, South, North East, South West etc...

Midlands (rural)
Which uni did you go to (for maths and your PGCE/other?)
Also, which kind of maths related degree did you do?
Original post by Autistic Merit
Do you actually laugh out loud when you type it though?

In my mind, ye. Don't judge, please. Lol.
Reply 605
Just after a little advice... My daughter is disappointed with her gcse results as she hopes to become a primary school teacher. She was predicted b's but her highest marks were 4 c's which aren't enough to follow the a level route. She has now enrolled on a vocational level 3 childcare and education course and will redo her maths gcse. She's hoping to do well and get into university but I wondered if it would be useful to do a home study a level too in English which she did well at? Hope you can help
This is a first. :angry:

Why are you on here?:smile:

Student room student not teacher room.
Which uni did you go to (for maths and your PGCE/other?)
Also, which kind of maths related degree did you do?

I did a mathematics degree at a top 50 university. I won't be more specific than that I'm afraid. I did my PGCE as a SCITT course so it was school-centred rather than university-based.

Original post by AngelPhys
In my mind, ye. Don't judge, please. Lol.

You seem to use 'lol' when a full stop alone would suffice.
I did a mathematics degree at a top 50 university. I won't be more specific than that I'm afraid. I did my PGCE as a SCITT course so it was school-centred rather than university-based.

You seem to use 'lol' when a full stop alone would suffice.

Say what? Lol.
Original post by AngelPhys
Say what? Lol.

Never mind. :redface:
Never mind. :redface:

K, lol.
Original post by Butby
Just after a little advice... My daughter is disappointed with her gcse results as she hopes to become a primary school teacher. She was predicted b's but her highest marks were 4 c's which aren't enough to follow the a level route. She has now enrolled on a vocational level 3 childcare and education course and will redo her maths gcse. She's hoping to do well and get into university but I wondered if it would be useful to do a home study a level too in English which she did well at? Hope you can help

A strong A level like English would be really important for her. I wish her the best.

Original post by Dijonnay
Why are you on here?:smile:

Student room student not teacher room.

TSR needs good adult role models like me; someone who can assert authority over you rapscallions.
Do you get discouraged when students don't understand a topic even if you spend a lot of time helping them? I've been volunteering to help in lessons, and when i can't make someone understand something i feel really down :/

How did you find the transition from A-level to university level maths? Any suggestions for students about to start uni?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked! I'm wondering whether i should go into teaching but I'm not sure...
Is it gutting to see students get low marks in exams for you?
Do you have to put up with a lot of abuse from pupils/students? Or do your pupils/students come from civilised upper class backgrounds?
Original post by charlesn202
Do you get discouraged when students don't understand a topic even if you spend a lot of time helping them? I've been volunteering to help in lessons, and when i can't make someone understand something i feel really down :/

How did you find the transition from A-level to university level maths? Any suggestions for students about to start uni?

Yes it breaks my heart when they don't understand even after they are trying really hard (if they're not trying then I have less sympathy). It is outweighed usually by the feeling of a student finally getting it though after much struggling; a great feeling when that happens!

University level maths is at an extremely fast pace. Don't try to understand everything in lectures, just make sure you have it written down. Check if the lecturer uploads online or not. If you really must skip a lecture, then the ones to skip are the ones where they just read off the slides that they've posted online anyway.
Original post by angelfox
Is it gutting to see students get low marks in exams for you?

Yes it is difficult to accept sometimes for me. But I have to be critical of myself and assess whether I could have done more to change the outcome.

Original post by Stinkum
Do you have to put up with a lot of abuse from pupils/students? Or do your pupils/students come from civilised upper class backgrounds?

As a new teacher, I do get more abuse than most. I've also had racist abuse and homophobic abuse before as I am an ethnic minority (rather not say specifically but I am mixed) and am also quite 'camp' apparently!

The students at the school typically come from quite wealthy backgrounds as it is a rural school. It's worth noting that one of the school's worst behaved students actually comes from one of the wealthiest families in the county. His behaviour is appalling though as he is so used to getting everything that he wants. When a teacher doesn't let him do what he wants to do then he kicks off and throws a strop. He almost always swears at a teacher when he gets a detention but the school do little to stop him.
Original post by Enn21
Do Alevels matter?

Yes they are very important. Why do you ask?
Yes it is difficult to accept sometimes for me. But I have to be critical of myself and assess whether I could have done more to change the outcome.

As a new teacher, I do get more abuse than most. I've also had racist abuse and homophobic abuse before as I am an ethnic minority (rather not say specifically but I am mixed) and am also quite 'camp' apparently!

The students at the school typically come from quite wealthy backgrounds as it is a rural school. It's worth noting that one of the school's worst behaved students actually comes from one of the wealthiest families in the county. His behaviour is appalling though as he is so used to getting everything that he wants. When a teacher doesn't let him do what he wants to do then he kicks off and throws a strop. He almost always swears at a teacher when he gets a detention but the school do little to stop him.

That's absolutely horrible and deplorable. Throughout my 5 years at a low tier comprehensive school, I witnessed some truly shocking and unforgettable acts of abuse towards teachers. In fact, this used to happen on a daily basis, countless times. I've always felt very sorry for teachers. People become teachers not so that they can turn up to class and get abused and insulted by the people they're teaching. No one deserves this treatment.

Again, that's just a really shocking experience that you've described, it must be horrible. I've never understood how teachers can put up with this. What I have seen at school has really cemented my hatred towards ill-mannered and uncivilised pupils. I can't really think of any other job where people are treated this badly.

I'm quite surprised to hear that these kids come from upper class backgrounds. I've always been under the assumption that this behaviour is only seen in low social class specimens (namely chavs). I never saw any form of bad behaviour or teachers being mistreated at the grammar school that I attended, where most of the pupils and students came from middle class families or from more privileged backgrounds.

This is one of the worst phenomena about the public school system in this country. It's quite sad. Teachers deserve better.
(edited 9 years ago)
A strong A level like English would be really important for her. I wish her the best.

TSR needs good adult role models like me; someone who can assert authority over you rapscallions.

lol okay Sir :smile:

Latest