The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
So I did the second job exam today and felt it actually went pretty good despite the voices' best efforts to put me off. There were less questions on the bit I struggled with and more on stuff I can actually do so hopefully I'll have passed this time! :crossedf:

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for your PM. What you said persuaded me to do the exam today and I'm glad I gave it my best shot, so thanks. :smile:

Ah happy to help! All credit to you for going and giving it your best shot - proud of you :h:

Original post by Cookiemonsta13
I have a school residential on Thursday and I go home on Friday (so only two days and one night) but its really stressing me out. I have GAD and Depersonalisation. Please help! I want to have a good time but I don't have many friends and I haven't slept away from home for about 5 years :frown:

Hi! Welcome to MHSS though sorry to hear of what brings you here :hugs: (If I've said that already, just ignore me - I have a memory like a sieve :colondollar: )

Could you take some familiar things from home, so that even though you're away it feels more cosy and homely? Like I'm 25 but I usually take a teddy and my iPod with me whenever I go back to my uni city coz it makes me anxious :yep:
Original post by hellokittymad
it may only be for a few days and a night but take things that remind you of home, blankets / pillows / stuffed toys, make sure that you wear things that you feel comfortable in [i'm presuming here that you don't need to go in school uniform and make sure that you have someone you can talk too if you feel anxious (:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi! Welcome to MHSS though sorry to hear of what brings you here :hugs: (If I've said that already, just ignore me - I have a memory like a sieve :colondollar: )

Could you take some familiar things from home, so that even though you're away it feels more cosy and homely? Like I'm 25 but I usually take a teddy and my iPod with me whenever I go back to my uni city coz it makes me anxious :yep:

Thats a good idea! I have a few things in mind that I can take :smile: music by Daughter always calms me down so I hope I don't forget my headphones!

Everywhere I go I always carry a bottle of water with me (even at home). Do you think that I should pack a few bottles of water or should I go without?

Thanks for the help and the welcome :') xx
Thats a good idea! I have a few things in mind that I can take :smile: music by Daughter always calms me down so I hope I don't forget my headphones!

Everywhere I go I always carry a bottle of water with me (even at home). Do you think that I should pack a few bottles of water or should I go without?

if its something you do everyday and it helps you it may be worth it, when i was on school residentials i always took bottles of water as it calmed me down a lot [also, a GAD sufferer due to NVLD] and made sure that staff / students knew that it was going to be with me

on an unrelated note, is there a way that at uni i can tell the university about the GAD, NVLD, Autism, ADHD and seizures without making it too noticable I've told disability support but they cant tell my tutors till 2 weeks after welcome week.
(edited 9 years ago)

I'd definitely take some with you :yep:
I took an IQ test just now and got a score of 133, which is Gifted (2.3% of test takers). I dunno how reliable it really is, but it still made me feel a bit better, that I'm maybe not as dumb as I'd worried after all :u:. This has added a little more confidence to me trying to return to education :smile:
I'd definitely take some with you :yep:

if its something you do everyday and it helps you it may be worth it, when i was on school residentials i always took bottles of water as it calmed me down a lot [also, a GAD sufferer due to NVLD] and made sure that staff / students knew that it was going to be with me

on an unrelated note, is there a way that at uni i can tell the university about the GAD, NVLD, Autism, ADHD and seizures without making it too noticable I've told disability support but they cant tell my tutors till 2 weeks after welcome week.

I'll pack a few just incase! I don't want to tell anyone really because for some reason mental health issues are still somewhat taboo in my school :frown: I only have one friend who knows about all my problems and she's not going to be in my class so I doubt i'll get to talk to her :frown:.

The school have given us like no information about the trip and I always have to plan everything I do beforehand otherwise my anxiety levels get very high :/.

I'm also worried about food! what do i eat if i dont like anything??? I also can't eat any sugary foods in the morning but what if thats all that is available???

Im really regretting agreeing to go on this trip :frown:

hellokittymad I can't help you on the second half because I'm only in year 12! perhaps there is a mentor or leader who you can email? I'm very sorry :frown: I hope to all gets sorted!
I'll pack a few just incase! I don't want to tell anyone really because for some reason mental health issues are still somewhat taboo in my school :frown: I only have one friend who knows about all my problems and she's not going to be in my class so I doubt i'll get to talk to her :frown:.

The school have given us like no information about the trip and I always have to plan everything I do beforehand otherwise my anxiety levels get very high :/.

I'm also worried about food! what do i eat if i dont like anything??? I also can't eat any sugary foods in the morning but what if thats all that is available???

Im really regretting agreeing to go on this trip :frown:

hellokittymad I can't help you on the second half because I'm only in year 12! perhaps there is a mentor or leader who you can email? I'm very sorry :frown: I hope to all gets sorted!

do the school know anything about the mental health issues? I understand about having to plan everything in advance I have to do the same, if you need someone to talk to you can PM me I'll quite happily chat to you xx
I FINALLY PASSED OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH!! I can go back to uni! Eeekkkkkk

Original post by superwolf
Bullettheory!!! :jumphug: Hello lovely, how've you been?

I'm doing pretty good, apart from having a bad cough/cold. Brain's still bubbling with craft projects and it was my birthday the other day, so I got a bunch of knitting books for further inspiration. *Still* waiting for my DBS check to come back so I can start my volunteering, which is a bit frustrating as I think it's going to be awesome, but what can you do eh? :tongue:

Hope your girlfriend's doing well, last I heard you were both going through a rough patch, so I hope both of you are doing better. :console:

I've been good thanks. My job is pretty interesting and I've got to do cool things like shadow a mental health act assessment and go to court to get a warrant.

Ooooo sounds interesting. Happy belated birthday! Dbs checks are the worst! Mine always take ages to come back (thanks to me being unwell...). What's your volunteering doing? Are you still looking at joining the world of occupational therapy?

Yeah we are both doing a lot better now. And holly the cat says hi!
Original post by bullettheory

Yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

So ****ing pleased for you!!!
:jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woooooooo! Happy for you :biggrin:

!

That is beyond awesome! Congrats!

**** yeah! :five:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I took an IQ test just now and got a score of 133, which is Gifted (2.3% of test takers). I dunno how reliable it really is, but it still made me feel a bit better, that I'm maybe not as dumb as I'd worried after all :u:. This has added a little more confidence to me trying to return to education :smile:

Of course you're not dumb, silly! :hugs: Glad this has given you some confidence :h:

:headbang: :king1: :party:
Work ended up being good, 2 separate customers said I had a nice smile :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course you're not dumb, silly! :hugs: Glad this has given you some confidence :h:

:headbang: :king1: :party:

Thanks :smile:. It was poor performance in A Levels and some jobs that made me feel a bit dumb, but I guess it's more that they just weren't right for me. I've always been too scared to go for uni in case I fail, but I think I want to try it now, cos who knows, maybe I could do well :smile:
Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yay:

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Thanks :smile:. It was poor performance in A Levels and some jobs that made me feel a bit dumb, but I guess it's more that they just weren't right for me. I've always been too scared to go for uni in case I fail, but I think I want to try it now, cos who knows, maybe I could do well :smile:

I def think you should explore it as an option :yep:

:woohoo: yay! Congrats

Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Iirc you do have a nice smile judging by pictures on here.

Hope everyone is having a great day
:coffee: i'm going kitchen and bathroom shopping tomorrow for university and it is stressing me out because their will be lots of people in town and no where to escape if i need to calm down [it will be a saturday]
Have found a wild Rob! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:coffee: i'm going kitchen and bathroom shopping tomorrow for university and it is stressing me out because their will be lots of people in town and no where to escape if i need to calm down [it will be a saturday]

Could you go on a weekday?

Have you got a list already written?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest