The Student Room Group

help with french gcse

anyone have any tips on how to ace french gcse?

any tips specifically on speaking, reading, writing and listening?

thank you!!!!!! :france:
Original post by patronusleviosa

GCSE French isn't all that hard... just learn vocab and keep practicing - for example, my teacher said just learning 5 new french words a day is enough :biggrin:
Original post by GrandMasti
GCSE French isn't all that hard... just learn vocab and keep practicing - for example, my teacher said just learning 5 new french words a day is enough :biggrin:

thanks i'm going to try that! are you currently studying for your gcse's or have you finished?
thanks i'm going to try that! are you currently studying for your gcse's or have you finished?

I just got my gcse results - got an A* in francais :biggrin:
Reply 4
Writing; do essays. Lots of essays.

Speaking; Practise. And memorise. And practise. And know how to prenounciate. Every single little word. It's awful.

Reading/Listening; Past papers. Lots of them. Reading is easy enough to grasp, but if you struggle with listening (like me) you just have to keep at it.
I would suggest getting an app for you smartphone or something to help you, because the more you learn how the words sounds, the easier it can be to learn the vocabulary. I suggest using an app called "Learn French by MindSnacks" because of the simple layout and you can play vocabulary games to remember them.

Hope this helped :smile:

Bethan (Year 11)
thanks guys, you've really helped. I'm okay with writing, so far I received a B and an A and hoping for an A* for my next one. Speaking has to be the worst with for me as I got two C's. It's completely nerve wrecking.
Original post by GrandMasti
I just got my gcse results - got an A* in francais :biggrin:

YOU GENIUS HOW??!qWFEGDJBF

Erm well writing wise, make sure you always put your accents on the correct letters. To help with your accent just copy the French accents you hear on television or on youtube or something. I did quite well in my French gcse and my accent is really good, I just practised. The Listening section of a French gcse exam is so easy! It's where you can gain lots of marks ( well it's where I did anyway!). Make sure you learn key words, learn the vocab section from a few French gcse textbooks and they'll really help. Good luck with your exams!
just 2 general tips but they can be used for all components of your exam I think.
- read around the subject (this sort of goes for any exam you do). In french it's all about understanding the language and immersing yourself in it. Read a bit of french literature, watch french news, turn the language setting on movies you watch to french. These are fun ways for you to revise without feeling like actually revising.
- use the vocab list. For my reading and listening exams, my only source of revision was the vocab list from aqa. I made sure I memorised literally everything off this list. Thing is with GCSE you just need to follow your spec. If you revise the spec you'll get an A* no doubt. The vocab list is really a list of words they're allowed to use and they can't use any words outside of this list so it's probably your best bet of predicting your exam.
Try to listen to some real French every day from now until the exam. You don't need to understand every word, but listening to French spoken as it is in the country will make the GCSE recordings sound so much slower and easier to understand! It only needs to be 5 minutes per day, but you need to pay attention and pick out the words that you can, even if in the whole thing you only understand 'bonjour', 'monsieur' and 'francais'! You can also watch French TV (perhaps 'Extra French' on youtube, or there are some programs on netfilx).
Original post by pseudo123
just 2 general tips but they can be used for all components of your exam I think.
- read around the subject (this sort of goes for any exam you do). In french it's all about understanding the language and immersing yourself in it. Read a bit of french literature, watch french news, turn the language setting on movies you watch to french. These are fun ways for you to revise without feeling like actually revising.
- use the vocab list. For my reading and listening exams, my only source of revision was the vocab list from aqa. I made sure I memorised literally everything off this list. Thing is with GCSE you just need to follow your spec. If you revise the spec you'll get an A* no doubt. The vocab list is really a list of words they're allowed to use and they can't use any words outside of this list so it's probably your best bet of predicting your exam.

They are allowed to use words that aren't on the vocab list- part of the mark scheme is being able to work out passages involving unfamiliar vocabulary. That being said, learning as much vocab as possible is always a good option!

Quick Reply

Latest