The Student Room Group

Should I stick with RS or change to English Language?

Hi, I want to study either Law or Ancient History at University. My other A-Level subjects are Law, Ancient History, Archaeology and (at the moment) Religious Studies.

I've had my interview, my enrolment is on Monday. Should I find out if I can change to do English Language instead of Religious Studies or is RS still a good subject with the courses I have picked - in the hopes to do Law/Ancient History?

What do you guys think? Should I just stick with RS or should I change to English Language? Will Eng Language give me a better application for University or are the subjects both the same?
Original post by Kahlira
Hi, I want to study either Law or Ancient History at University. My other A-Level subjects are Law, Ancient History, Archaeology and (at the moment) Religious Studies.

I've had my interview, my enrolment is on Monday. Should I find out if I can change to do English Language instead of Religious Studies or is RS still a good subject with the courses I have picked - in the hopes to do Law/Ancient History?

What do you guys think? Should I just stick with RS or should I change to English Language? Will Eng Language give me a better application for University or are the subjects both the same?

I think RS would be better than eng lang; eng lit is a stronger subject than both, but eng lang only improves an application if you want to do linguistics. RS is an essay subject and involves ethics and debate so would be looked on favourably by both law and history courses. Although, if you are potentially wanting to study ancient history, some courses may require history rather than ancient history at A-level, so check this out.
Original post by Kahlira

A lot of Universities think that Religious Studies is a good subject to take, it is viewed more favourably than English Language. I would take it if my college offered it, it is very relevant and helpful for a lot of Arts degrees. For Ancient History I expect Religious Studies would be a great help (depends on the specification though). RS also looks like it will combine well with your other choices.
Reply 3
I agree with the other 2 responses above. I study RS at A Level and I find it brilliant, much better than GCSE RS! You can also talk about the ethical side of the RS course in your university interview and relate it to law. But above all you should choose the subject you enjoy the most. Don't change RS just because you think Eng. Lang. would help you get into uni as you'll probably end up doing better in the subject you enjoy more.

Good luck for A Levels :smile:
Original post by G700
I agree with the other 2 responses above. I study RS at A Level and I find it brilliant, much better than GCSE RS! You can also talk about the ethical side of the RS course in your university interview and relate it to law. But above all you should choose the subject you enjoy the most. Don't change RS just because you think Eng. Lang. would help you get into uni as you'll probably end up doing better in the subject you enjoy more.

Good luck for A Levels :smile:

This is why I wanted to do it for A-levels! Unfortunately I didn't even get to do it for GCSE even though I adored it in school! :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Pokémontrainer
This is why I wanted to do it for A-levels! Unfortunately I didn't even get to do it for GCSE even though I adored it in school! :frown:

You should definitely take RS then :smile: I don't think you'd be at any disadvantage for not taking it at GCSE
Original post by G700
You should definitely take RS then :smile: I don't think you'd be at any disadvantage for not taking it at GCSE

They don't offer it at my college. They don't offer much variety tbh. :s-smilie: I was considering self-teaching for a while though, would that be too difficult? :smile:
Reply 7
They don't offer it at my college. They don't offer much variety tbh. :s-smilie: I was considering self-teaching for a while though, would that be too difficult? :smile:

I'm not sure, if you really love the subject and are willing to do extra studying I think you could self-teach it but I won't lie, I think you would find it more difficult but not impossible :smile:
Original post by G700
I'm not sure, if you really love the subject and are willing to do extra studying I think you could self-teach it but I won't lie, I think you would find it more difficult but not impossible :smile:

Yes, I think I'd find it hard to fit into my day tbh. Oh well, I'll just focus on my other subjects! Thanks. :smile:
Reply 9
Yes, I think I'd find it hard to fit into my day tbh. Oh well, I'll just focus on my other subjects! Thanks. :smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 10
Do whichever you can get a better grade in - either way, you can always swap subjects at the beginning of the year if you end up disliking it.
Reply 11
Thanks guys ^^ I'll stick with RS. The only real reason I wanted to do English Language is because I love writing, and I love the kind of writing you have to do in English Language, but thats the only reason. Whereas RS, I love the debating, essays, ethics and the obvious religious side of it. So yeah, thanks for helping me figure it out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest