The Student Room Group

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I have left year 11 this year, so here goes.

1) How was year 11 for you?

OK. Earlier on in the year, it wasn't too bad until mocks came in November-December. I struggled with stress a bit for mocks especially I only gave myself 3 weeks to revise for them, which made me worry about the real ones. However, I surprised myself when these came around. I started revising in January for content-heavy history and sciences and other subjects followed in February. At times it felt like there was a lot to do, but on the whole I feel it could have been much worse.

2) How many exams did you sit?

I think I sat around 19 this summer. At my school we only took short course RE and a citizenship certificate early in year 10, which I suppose made it harder as there were more subjects to revise for and more exams crammed in.

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

REVISE EARLY! I said earlier about how I started in January/February and I really would recommend it. It didn't start out in huge lumps, but I started to gather and make my notes at this time, perhaps taking an hour a night and three per weekend day. Whatever you do don't start revision too late! Taking it slowly and gradually bit-by-bit over a longer period of time was far better than the cramming/reading-over-the-night-before approach I took for mocks, especially for subjects with a lot of content like History or Geography (Case studies!). If you can, maybe do small bite-sized revision each night throughout the year. Also, past papers are a gift! Do them, mark them and then go through looking where you missed marks so that you can improve next time. For essay subjects, do questions at home and take them into school for your teacher to mark so you can do a similar thing. Make sure you have a good method and plan/pattern for answering them!
Also, do try to enjoy it! It's going to be the last year your ever at school, so make it a good one. Keep ploughing through and make sure even though you spend a good amount of time working and revising that you do spend time relaxing and enjoying yourself too!
Good luck to y'all :smile:

Mine was stressful, hard but went really quick

3)What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

Make sure you listen and pay attention at all times. Complete homework on time and revise for subjects starting from september otherwise you'll have a lot of catching up to do later in the year.
I've just finished Year 11:
Year 11 got more stressful as it went on. It started off much like year 10, but by October half term, when revision for our mocks began, it started to get more stressful. It wasn't long after Christmas that I started revising and it was pretty busy from then until exams as coursework deadlines crept closer and exams loomed.

I had 5 exams last year, and 22 exams this year.

Mainly, just to keep on top of everything. You might think that there isn't much point in revising for mocks, but it honestly makes it so much easier when revising for the real thing as you already have resources to revise from and it's slightly more fresh in your mind that it would otherwise be. Also, make sure you understand everything you're taught as you're going along- that's much easier than trying to work it all out at the end. As long as you work hard, complete homework and coursework by the given deadlines, and have the right attitude when it comes to revising at the end of the year, you should be fine :smile:
I had 6 exams over year 9 and year 10 and 19 this year. Literally the most important piece of advice I have is don't start revising the day before! I went to bed at about 11 on the Thursday and got up at 4am on the Friday because I'd just started learning my history dates that evening. :/ My grade for that paper was the lowest of the three.

Seriously though, your teachers constantly say 'it'll go so quickly, start revising now', and we all rolled our eyes the first few times, but it really does. The nagging can get a bit excessive, but in hindsight I could have gotten so much more done than I did, if only I'd started memorising things early on. Even in April I overestimated myself and decided it was still too early to start. So get a head start, take your mocks seriously, and do small, steady chunks of revision, and it really does fly by. :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
It was a bit of everything. It's nice that you're settled in, no older intimidating people, you can sort of walk about like you own the place and you know how everything works.
However, there was a lot of stress involved. The extra month off of school is fun. It's a good experience all round and makes you really feel older.

I did a total of 18 exams in year 11.

Listen to the teachers about revising early, it's all well and good thinking that you won'll be alright revising a couple of weeks before the exam but you'll find yourself more stressed out and having to work much harder.
Also, stress levels during exams can be high. Revise well and have your own time to combat stress. If you stress too much it'll make it worse for you. Good luck and enjoy
1) What GCSE's are you taking?
Maths, Additional Maths, English Language, English Literature, Triple Science, RS, History, Italian, French, Computer Science.

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
Stressful. I like making study guides for subjects like Science and History and English but they take forever and I want to get them done before January (Easter max) however I have ISAs to do, Computer Science CAs, Music Exams, DofE, Private Sixth Form Assessments, OH SO MUCH.

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?
Yes! ...But no. :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
I enjoyed Year 11 as it really opened up your eyes that this is your last year and it is either make it or break it (okay not really). This is when the school starts hammering into you to do well, like we would have a motivational speech to do well every week or two. Since I finished some GCSEs last year I was not that pressurised but it is your last chance at getting those grades except for retakes if that is the case.

I had 14 exams, with 4 on the same day but it was pretty much the same as the year before.

I would say to get those controlled assessment grades to the best as possible. Get them to as high grades as possible and it will bump up getting better grades. Like, 25% didn't seem much before, but it has a significant effect on your marks. Also, I would recommend not to burn yourself out and start extensive revision from the go in September. Instead make sure you understand the contents of the lesson and lightly revise throughout the year so you are confident because there are a range of subjects and some GCSEs are more of a memory test. When it comes closer to exam period March or February, you decide the time, start your intensive revision so you are already. These are by no way guidelines just tips, as everyone revises differently. For maths past papers were useful and English the practice was essential but it is more of improvement in language, vocabulary, devices,... For Science the checklists helped me the most, so I went over everything I needed to know, these were sometimes really briefly mentioned but I found out what deeper knowledge I needed. I could go on forever but yeah.
Also, enjoy your time as this is your last year at the school, and make use of the things you will miss when you go.
Reply 267
I'm going into Year 11 next week.
Can't believe I started Year 7, four years ago :eek:.Oh, how time goes by.

For the people have finished Year 11,
Apart from the time you had the real exams, which term was the most hardest during Year 11?

The one which you had a lot of mocks or exams and was extremely tiring trying to get all the work done?
Original post by Grade

Now there's a funny thought. So much has changed since then, it's unreal. Here's to the Class of '15!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranti100
Maths, Additional Maths, English Language, English Literature, Triple Science, RS, History, Italian, French, Computer Science.

Stressful. I like making study guides for subjects like Science and History and English but they take forever and I want to get them done before January (Easter max) however I have ISAs to do, Computer Science CAs, Music Exams, DofE, Private Sixth Form Assessments, OH SO MUCH.

Yes! ...But no. :redface:

Any tips for making study guides? Always something I've wanted to do but never know where to start. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grade

Apart from the time you had the real exams, which term was the most hardest during Year 11?

The one which you had a lot of mocks or exams and was extremely tiring trying to get all the work done?

For me, the hardest half term was between Feb half term and Easter because there were coursework deadlines to meet, compositions to complete and revision had begun for our exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grade

It seems stupid now, but nobody I knew actually took their mocks seriously (around January/February time), which you should definitely do, because come the real exam season everybody's panicking and kicking themselves because the whole point of mocks is to prepare you for the workload. :ashamed2:

I'd say that term was pretty stressful, because up until the new year -- apart from the pushing you start to get more and more of from your teachers -- nothing really changes from year 10 work-wise. It starts to get really panicky from March onwards, because that's when they start giving you the preliminary exam dates and you tidy up all coursework and teachers begin to organise after-school or weekend revision sessions. And then from the Easter holidays onwards it's literally all anyone talks about. Revision, revision, revision, revision. It's exhausting hearing about it for 6 hours a day, but I didn't take advantage of all the pushing and instead decided I would put it off until my actual exams (bad idea. I do not recommend it).

So yeah, nothing really gets harder, but you suddenly realise you don't actually have a lot of time left to complete everything and it all speeds by so quickly. And it's worth it in the end -- you get such a long holiday and that first night after your final exam when you realise that you can actually sleep in is so amazing.

Start revising early on to minimise the stress at the end (although I'm sure you'll hear that from absolutely everyone). :tongue: :-)
If you are in year 10 going into year 11:

1) I have already taken Latin and Astronomy GCSE's so this year I'm only doing Spanish, French, German, Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, ICT, Religious Studies, History and I will hopefully take Japanese and Italian in Sixth Form.

2) I'm pretty chilled about it at the moment, but I know that there is gonna be a lot of stress because of the amount of GCSE's I'm doing. My school doesn't put too much pressure on us so currently I think it's gonna be a good year. I'm looking forward to doing Silver DofE and NCS!

3) Yes, to be honest, I can't wait to get back to school and get it over with - so I can earn a bit of money too (after GCSE's)!
Original post by funkydee19
Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

And if you have just left year 11:

I have left year 11 so I will answer these questions aha..

Year 11 for me was rather calm for the first few months up to about November. It was mainly trying to finish off coursework. From January onwards it was the piles and piles of stress. But tbh I believe it would have been less stressful if my school did not put so much pressure on us.

22 :eek:

3)What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
Listen to everything in class, it's most likely to come up in the exam. & You don't necessarily have to start revising from the get go. You will most likely forget everything by time May comes.. I would say revise from January if you feel you will remember. If not start in the Easter Holidays (March/April), if you feel you do better revising closer to the time. I started in February.. had a long break (well not really due to my school :angry:) and restarted in April.

Any other questions? Leave them below, and I or any other person will answer it :tongue:

Hey Guys,

1) I am taking the following GCSEs:

English Lit+Lan

Science (Triple)

Maths + Add Maths

History

Art

Textiles

German

Spanish

It

RE

2) My expectations of year 11 are that it is going to be a lot of hard work, but there is a reward. Stress, sickness, exams, coursework, duties, etc. Sixth form applications, entrance exams and much more. Getting good grade and getting the hell outta of my school :wink:

3) Hell yeah!

How do you deal with exams if you have more than 1 in a day? What did you get and how did you achieve it?? What are you up to now?
Original post by germanshepherd_
How do you deal with exams if you have more than 1 in a day?

You often have more than one exam a day (at least I did) and you just need to make sure you're well prepared for them all, not just cramming the night before! A revision timetable that you stick to should help you to be prepared for all your exams and not have to worry about having them on the same day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarah Bethany
You often have more than one exam a day (at least I did) and you just need to make sure you're well prepared for them all, not just cramming the night before! A revision timetable that you stick to should help you to be prepared for all your exams and not have to worry about having them on the same day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and I will do that. I just looked at the provisional timetable for next year may/june exams, there are only 2 days where I have more than 1 exam, obvs except languages, but yh;']
Seriously, no matter how much you revise, it'll never be enough. NEVER!! :tongue:
Reply 277
Original post by tryrevise
1) I'm doing maths, further maths, triple science, english language, English literature, rs, Spanish, german, geography, art and music.
2) I'm expecting it to be pretty stressful tbh as I know I'm going to have over 30 exams! I'm going to have to start revising so early..
3) I actually am a bit, weirdly enough :wink: I just hope all the work pays off and I get good results at the end of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did double languages too, I took Spanish and French and got an A* and an A in them respectively. The best advice I can give you is practise all the time with your languages, and if you can associate certains words/stems with each other, that really hepled me in my exams Also be glad that most language exams are over and done with pretty soon!

I'm going to be in Yr 11 in September and I'm taking about 9/10 GCSE's:
English Cambridge IGCSE Extended, Maths, Science (Core Science and Additional Science), RE, French, ICT,History and Child Development. I already did my Core Science exam and ICT exam in May but I think ICT was harder because I couldn't revise properly because I also had my core science exam in the same week as my ICT. I'm doing my English Cambridge IGCSE coursework and my Child Development coursework at the moment as homework. I did my English Literature coursework in March and had to write a 2000 word essay on Macbeth and World War poems. I had 4 hours over 4 lessons to complete it. And my planning really helped me write the essay. The History coursework seemed hard to complete but it was okay. I'm happy I finished the first part of my coursework and I think the second part will hopefully be done this year.

I expect Yr 11 to be stressful because of the amount of coursework and exams I will have to do. I think I will be doing about 16/17 exams. I will be continuing with my ICT and Child Development coursework when I get back. My school offers lots of revision classes so I'm hoping to attend those invaluable sessions. But I think I learn more when I'm in a quiet environment with no one around and I put some relaxing music on to help me concentrate. Music also helps me to develop my ideas as well.

I am looking forward to Yr 11 and I just want the year to go quick and get my results. Then it's all about the prom and the well deserved holiday. Can't wait!! :biggrin::smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Workangel_24
Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

Hi funkydee19,

I'm going to be in Yr 11 in September and I'm taking about 9 GCSE'S:
English Cambridge IGCSE Extended, Maths, Science (Core Science and Additional Science), RE, French, ICT,History and Child Development. I already did my Core Science exam and ICT exam in May but I think ICT was harder because I couldn't revise properly because I also had my core science exam in the same week as my ICT. I'm doing my English Cambridge IGCSE coursework and my Child Development coursework at the moment.

I expect Yr 11 to be stressful because of the coursework and exams I will have to do. I think will be doing about 16/17 exams.

I am looking forward to Yr 11 and I just want the year to go quick and get my results.

Oh and I'm a new user in TSR so if you spot any mistake please tell me!! :smile:

First and foremost, welcome to TSR :biggrin:
If you have any questions regarding year 11, please feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest