The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Induction/Enrolment Tuesday and Wednesday. Then start on the Monday after.
Original post by MangoFreak
You've got the wrong people brah.

Or you're the wrong person :dontknow: :lol:

Well, tbh I don't think my friends would bother coming in for that one day either :tongue:

So all is well

My people are the right people :wink:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Was supposed to go camping today but after a week of 5:30am starts I was just too tired :frown: Feeling really $hitty for letting my friends down :frown:

Aaah, its a fair enough reason though! We stayed in a little coastal home, cos I do not camp
I thought those were pretty easy to get if you tell them that you're a nervous flyer or whatever? I haven't flown in seven years but I have a friend that has to fly often (she's from the UK but she lives in Boston, MA and her family live in Japan so she travels a lot even though she doesn't like it) and she can always get bulkhead seats or seats near the doors. Might be worthwhile to ask for those seats for the rest of the flight(s) if it will make you more comfortable :smile:

My mother books the seats but never remembers to request it :lol: Doesn't matter now, have chosen my seats online, and I'm not coming back until June next year, probably, and then I'll probably be staying here for uni.

What's with the early mornings? Long time since we've spoken, how are you? :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
Oh wow :redface:. That's progressive :smile:.

Ah okay. Primark is cool.

Progressive? How so? :tongue: I'm not trying to make a point by not wearing it, I just never have done :tongue: I just see it as an unnecessary expense (also impractical given that I spend a lot of time working with animals, including some days after school). I don't look down on anybody who chooses to wear makeup or anything, neither do I think that I'm pretty enough without it (I'm ugg-o :tongue: ) . It's down to personal choice :smile:

Primark is where I buy practically all of my clothes :redface: Curse having no money
Progressive? How so? :tongue: I'm not trying to make a point by not wearing it, I just never have done :tongue: I just see it as an unnecessary expense (also impractical given that I spend a lot of time working with animals, including some days after school). I don't look down on anybody who chooses to wear makeup or anything, neither do I think that I'm pretty enough without it (I'm ugg-o :tongue: ) . It's down to personal choice :smile:

Primark is where I buy practically all of my clothes :redface: Curse having no money

Well thanks for explaining yourself. Very cool attitude to have.

Other highstreet stores and boutiques often have deals :smile:. You just have to look. There's also the option to buy stuff online.

me wearing a tshirt I purchased online

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Aaah, its a fair enough reason though! We stayed in a little coastal home, cos I do not camp

Yeah, they were very understanding which was nice but I still feel like crap for missing it. I go camping this time every year and I haven't missed it in about nine years :frown:

My mother books the seats but never remembers to request it :lol: Doesn't matter now, have chosen my seats online, and I'm not coming back until June next year, probably, and then I'll probably be staying here for uni.

What's with the early mornings? Long time since we've spoken, how are you? :tongue:

Oh, you've chosen to study in Australia now?

I was working at a zoo for a week (bloody amazing, they had tapirs which are 102% adorable). The journey each way took two hours and twenty minutes and involved a short walk, a bus ride, two trains and a shuttle bus, so I had to be up pretty early to be there for 8:00am. I'm glad I did it, but equally glad that it was only for a week :tongue:

I'm good :smile: I was feeling pretty crap by the end of school but I've done a lot over summer which has been really enjoyable. I was extremely pleased with my results (despite getting an E in maths, ho hum :tongue: ) How are things with you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh, you've chosen to study in Australia now?

I was working at a zoo for a week (bloody amazing, they had tapirs which are 102% adorable). The journey each way took two hours and twenty minutes and involved a short walk, a bus ride, two trains and a shuttle bus, so I had to be up pretty early to be there for 8:00am. I'm glad I did it, but equally glad that it was only for a week :tongue:

I'm good :smile: ? I was feeling pretty crap by the end of school but I've done a lot over summer which has been really enjoyable. I was extremely pleased with my results (despite getting an E in maths, ho hum :tongue: ) How are things with you?

You're incredible with your dedication, really; it's awesome, even if it was only for a week :tongue:

I MIGHT still apply to Cambridge etc. next year (some disappointing, though still good, results have stopped me this year :tongue:) but I visited the University of Queensland with my grandparents and I quite liked it, and their Bachelor of Advanced Science looks actually extremely good and cool (it doesn't help that I have a friend who's applying there :lol:). Still need Cambridge-level grades though, so work work work :biggrin: I have antidepressants now so I'm good in most senses of the word; I might actually be able to focus this year.
Original post by keromedic
Well thanks for explaining yourself. Very cool attitude to have.

Other highstreet stores and boutiques often have deals :smile:. You just have to look. There's also the option to buy stuff online.

me wearing a tshirt I purchased online

Haha, thanks I guess :tongue: But yeah, I just have no interest in it at all :dontknow: . I've never been especially 'girly' (not that make up is at all an inherently feminine thing, of course), and it's just something that I've never wanted to involve myself with. I have no problem with anybody who does wear it. If they enjoy it and it helps them to feel more comfortable then that can only be a good thing :smile:

Yeah, I do get a fair bit online, or if I'm at events or such. Primark is just a good place to go and binge and buy a load of stuff at once when I need it .
Hello everyone.
New to this thread.
Everyone excited for Year 13 ?!
Senior year baby :biggrin: soz I had to say that. :smile:
You're incredible with your dedication, really; it's awesome, even if it was only for a week :tongue:

I MIGHT still apply to Cambridge etc. next year (some disappointing, though still good, results have stopped me this year :tongue:) but I visited the University of Queensland with my grandparents and I quite liked it, and their Bachelor of Advanced Science looks actually extremely good and cool (it doesn't help that I have a friend who's applying there :lol:). Still need Cambridge-level grades though, so work work work :biggrin: I have antidepressants now so I'm good in most senses of the word; I might actually be able to focus this year.

Thank you :h: My chemistry teacher finally bullied me into convinced me to apply for veterinary medicine, so I've been on a last minute push to get as much work experience as I can. This summer I've spent a week at a research lab, two weeks at an animal shelter, three weeks at three different vets, a week at a stable, and I finished at the zoo yesterday. I need to work on my personal statement, but one of the places I'm applying to (Liverpool) doesn't even read the personal statement for the vet course (others such as Bristol use it as 70% of your application, so it's all about applying to my strengths :tongue: ) so I'm not so worried about it.

You'd have nothing to lose by applying for Cambridge (well, aside from the UCAS registration fee :tongue: ) so I'd say to go for it :smile: Will you be counted as a home applicant both in the UK and Australia (apologies for my ignorance, if I remember correctly you have dual residency but as a person who has never moved house, let alone country, I have no idea how these things work :redface: ) I'm really glad to hear that you're feeling better :hugs: That's fantastic news and I'm genuinely so happy that you've managed to get some help :h: . It's definitely going to be a year of hard work. I fully accept that I didn't work at all hard enough his year for various reasons, and frankly it was extremely fortunate that I got tha grades that I did (I even expected a U in maths to be honest :tongue: ) Which subjects are you continuing to A2?
Reply 1430
If my AS grades were CDE what is the highest grade I wouldget realistically predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinkgorilla
Hello everyone.
New to this thread.
Everyone excited for Year 13 ?!
Senior year baby :biggrin: soz I had to say that. :smile:

Hello! :h: Welcome to the thread!

In a way I am looking forward to year 13, if only because I haven't seen some of my friends in weeks :tongue: I was definitely more excited for year 12, which unfortunately turned out to be pretty crappy. Now every single one of my teachers has left, including my form tutor and head of year, so this is essentially a fresh start. I know it's going to be hard (especially physics given that my school basically doesn't have a physics department currently :awesome: ) but there's only one year until the reward for it all (university!) so the thought of that will hopefully help me through.
Thank you :h: My chemistry teacher finally bullied me into convinced me to apply for veterinary medicine, so I've been on a last minute push to get as much work experience as I can. This summer I've spent a week at a research lab, two weeks at an animal shelter, three weeks at three different vets, a week at a stable, and I finished at the zoo yesterday. I need to work on my personal statement, but one of the places I'm applying to (Liverpool) doesn't even read the personal statement for the vet course (others such as Bristol use it as 70% of your application, so it's all about applying to my strengths :tongue: ) so I'm not so worried about it.

You'd have nothing to lose by applying for Cambridge (well, aside from the UCAS registration fee :tongue: ) so I'd say to go for it :smile: Will you be counted as a home applicant both in the UK and Australia (apologies for my ignorance, if I remember correctly you have dual residency but as a person who has never moved house, let alone country, I have no idea how these things work :redface: ) I'm really glad to hear that you're feeling better :hugs: That's fantastic news and I'm genuinely so happy that you've managed to get some help :h: . It's definitely going to be a year of hard work. I fully accept that I didn't work at all hard enough his year for various reasons, and frankly it was extremely fortunate that I got tha grades that I did (I even expected a U in maths to be honest :tongue: ) Which subjects are you continuing to A2?

Your heinous ignorance is forgiven :lol: :hand: But yeah, Australia, unlike the UK, considers all citizens (and New Zealand citizens) to be domestic students, regardless of where they've lived (you have to have lived in the UK for 3 years to be domestic, even if you're a citizen), so that's neat. Not too excited about the politics; Tony's gonna **** us.

Even though I don't really need to write a PS anymore, I'm super glad to hear I'm not the only person who hasn't finished started theirs :tongue:

I'll be sticking with the standard physics nerd's choice - Physics, Maths, Further, Chemistry :biggrin: What about you? What experience have you got lined up (if any, you don't seem to be lacking in it already)? I'm going on a 5-day residential course at Villiers Park, which I expect will be ****ing cool.
We start on Friday for some reason :emo: A singular, pointless day.

agreed! I've now got out of going in on the first day because I'm going to an open day :biggrin:
Original post by Shido
If my AS grades were CDE what is the highest grade I wouldget realistically predicted?

At my school predicted grades are one grade higher than what you achieved at AS, so in your case BCD. It really depends on the relationship that you have with your teachers though. If you're applying for a course that needs an A in a specific subject and you're predicted a B, they might be generous, for example. Realistically though I don't think it would be fair to ask to be predicted more than two grades above what you achieved at AS.
Original post by Shido

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably CCC but that's me just guessing?:/ a guy I know got DEE and he got predicted CCD, I don't see why you won't be predicted CCC atleast
Your heinous ignorance is forgiven :lol: :hand: But yeah, Australia, unlike the UK, considers all citizens (and New Zealand citizens) to be domestic students, regardless of where they've lived (you have to have lived in the UK for 3 years to be domestic, even if you're a citizen), so that's neat. Not too excited about the politics; Tony's gonna **** us.

Even though I don't really need to write a PS anymore, I'm super glad to hear I'm not the only person who hasn't finished started theirs :tongue:

I'll be sticking with the standard physics nerd's choice - Physics, Maths, Further, Chemistry :biggrin: What about you? What experience have you got lined up (if any, you don't seem to be lacking in it already)? I'm going on a 5-day residential course at Villiers Park, which I expect will be ****ing cool.

Fair enough, that keeps things simple :smile: . It is a shame about the political state of Australia ("We can't stop people being homeless if that's their choice" "Climate change is absolute crap" "Women should do their own ironing blah blah blah *crying baby noise*" ... classics :yy: ), although to be fair if the European elections were anything to go by then the UK is going pretty much the same way. Gr8.

I'll probably do one within a couple of weeks of returning to school, I do need to get my act together. My EPQ is looking awfully neglected as well. If my timetable is going to be my current one but without the subject I'm dropping then I should essentially have a four day weekend every week though, so no excuses for not getting it done as I'll have more than enough time :redface:

Dropping maths to continue with the holy trinity of biology, chemistry and physics :biggrin: I've got bits and bobs lined up, yeah. My rat breeder agreed to let me work at her rattery for a day (not everybody's cup of tea I'm sure, but she has a PhD in genetics and so I'm hoping to learn a fair bit :biggrin: ) . I'm going to Norfolk in October to work on an equine vet practice next to a racetrack, and I'm definitely going lambing again in February. The people at the stable said I'm always welcome back there so hopefully I'll be able to return at some point, and I'll do my weekly stuff of going to the an exotics vet every Monday and an open farm every Sunday. I'll also be going to a dairy farm every Wednesady if my timetable facilitates it. So yeah, I'll be a busy bee as usual! Hope you have fun on that course, I presume its during half term? A friend of mine did a residential course for astrophysics because it's what she wants to apply for, and I have to admit that I was jealous as **** :colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Fair enough, that keeps things simple :smile: . It is a shame about the political state of Australia ("We can't stop people being homeless if that's their choice" "Climate change is absolute crap" "Women should do their own ironing blah blah blah *crying baby noise*" ... classics :yy: ), although to be fair if the European elections were anything to go by then the UK is going pretty much the same way. Gr8.

I'll probably do one within a couple of weeks of returning to school, I do need to get my act together. My EPQ is looking awfully neglected as well. If my timetable is going to be my current one but without the subject I'm dropping then I should essentially have a four day weekend every week though, so no excuses for not getting it done as I'll have more than enough time :redface:

Dropping maths to continue with the holy trinity of biology, chemistry and physics :biggrin: I've got bits and bobs lines up. My rat breeder agreed to let me work at her rattery for a day (not everybody's cup of tea I'm sure, but breeder has a PhD in genetics and so I'm hoping to learn a fair bit :biggrin: ) . I'm going to Norfolk in October to work on an equine vet practice next to a racetrack, and I'm definitely going lambing again in February. The people at the stable said I'm always welcome back there so hopefully I'll be able to return at some point, and I'll do my weekly stuff of going to the an exotics vet every Monday and an open farm every Sunday. I'll also be going to a dairy farm every Wednesady if my timetable facilitates it. So yeah, I'll be a busy bee as usual! Hope you have fun on that course, I presume its during half term? A friend of mine did a residential course for astrophysics because it's what she wants to apply for, and I have to admit that I was jealous as **** :colone:

Oh **** I'd totally forgotten the EPQ :lol: I've decided to abandon it honestly; I have no idea what to do for it.

The course starts September 29, I don't know if that's the half-term but while I'm going on an astrophysics course, there are like 10 other courses on different weeks so it's not guaranteed to be in the break. All but one of my further maths buddies are going on different courses, they all found their acceptance letters before me and qualified for social mobility stuff (low income, first generation uni students, etc.) so I was worried I wouldn't get a place :tongue:

You're so buuusy. I'm jealous of you biological types :tongue:

I don't reckon UKIP will get too big in the general elections, their being first-past-the-post and all, but I'm worried about the independence vote; it could go either way. I'd prefer the planet not become more pointlessly fragmented.
Hello! :h: Welcome to the thread!

In a way I am looking forward to year 13, if only because I haven't seen some of my friends in weeks :tongue: I was definitely more excited for year 12, which unfortunately turned out to be pretty crappy. Now every single one of my teachers has left, including my form tutor and head of year, so this is essentially a fresh start. I know it's going to be hard (especially physics given that my school basically doesn't have a physics department currently :awesome: ) but there's only one year until the reward for it all (university!) so the thought of that will hopefully help me through.

lol, same. looking forward to seeing my friends. yh same was deffo more excited for year 12 and yh it was crappy but fortunately i got the grades I needed despite the crappy teachers.
oh sorry about that and yh good idea just focus on the reward !
Good luck my friend ! :biggrin:
I haven't kept super up-to-date here recently, is there anybody left other Tails, Fish and myself from the original thread for our year? :tongue:

Latest