The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Geography at Birmingham

Hi guys :smile: Is there anybody who studied Geography at Uni of Birmingham? I;d be very grateful to hear some experiences :smile: Cheers!
Depends what you want to hear as my flatmate and many of my friends study geog and love it, just let me know and I'll ask them but basically they seem to be the ultimate party animals with around 10 hours a week, multiple essays to do and apparently follows the same theme as A level geog :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by shutthedoor
Hi guys :smile: Is there anybody who studied Geography at Uni of Birmingham? I;d be very grateful to hear some experiences :smile: Cheers!

I'm just finishing my second year :smile:. Is there anything in particular you want to know or just a general experience?
Reply 3
Original post by DellaLouise
I'm just finishing my second year :smile:. Is there anything in particular you want to know or just a general experience?

Thanks for your reply! :smile: I'm interested in your general opinion :smile: And I might have a couple more particular questions later :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm interested in studying Geography Bsc in 2015 :smile: what's the quality of teaching like?
Original post by shutthedoor
Thanks for your reply! :smile: I'm interested in your general opinion :smile: And I might have a couple more particular questions later :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really hard to give just a general opinion but I'll try :cute: I personally love my course. The first year is great as you do quite generic modules so you don't get thrown straight in the deep end. You do a mixture of human and physical modules and you'll get to see a wide range of the different lecturers throughout the school of geography as they try to present all the different paths in geography for you so you'll know what you want to specify in when you get to second year. I've just finished my second year which is harder than first year but I've probably enjoyed it more than first year as I've had the chance to specify my interests in geog a lot more. You don't just have lectures like other degrees. In my first year alone I've done fieldwork, presentations, group work and mapping and in second year you do the exact same but you start learning dissertation skills such as stats. We're quite a small department which means we all get to know each other and I don't feel like a small fish in a big sea. If you have any more in depth questions ask me :smile:

Original post by iceangel8
I'm interested in studying Geography Bsc in 2015 :smile: what's the quality of teaching like?

Really good! In terms of the lecturers the geography department has a really high quality of teaching especially in your first year. What's good about Brum is that as I previously stated we're quite a small department so by the end of the first semester you'll know the majority of the lecturers and the department also encourage you to approach them if you ever need any help. You're assigned a personal tutor on your first day and they stay your tutor until you leave. You see your personal tutor every 1-2 weeks in first year with your tutor group (which is about 5-6 people) to teach you how to be a good university student through different exercises such as referencing, reading and presentations. You build up a really good relationship with them and I know I could go see my tutor for any problems I have.
Reply 6
Anyone doing geography and planning ???
Hey! How many essays do you do over the three years?

I'm trying to work out whether it's worth bringing a laptop to University of Birmingham to study Geography. Can't seem to get a clear answer from looking at the online programme and modules handbook.
Original post by liomeeringca
Hey! How many essays do you do over the three years?

I'm trying to work out whether it's worth bringing a laptop to University of Birmingham to study Geography. Can't seem to get a clear answer from looking at the online programme and modules handbook.

Depending on what MOMD you do in first year you'll do about 8 individual essays, 3 group reports and fieldwork. In second it really depends on what modules you choose as some are completely coursework, some exam and some mixed. I personally did 6 individual essays, 3 group reports (you'll definitely do these) and fieldwork. Third year is dissertation and you do 4 other modules in which all may have essays. I'd definitely recommend bringing a laptop! :smile:
Original post by DellaLouise
Depending on what MOMD you do in first year you'll do about 8 individual essays, 3 group reports and fieldwork. In second it really depends on what modules you choose as some are completely coursework, some exam and some mixed. I personally did 6 individual essays, 3 group reports (you'll definitely do these) and fieldwork. Third year is dissertation and you do 4 other modules in which all may have essays. I'd definitely recommend bringing a laptop! :smile:

Thanks for your reply! Definitely cleared it up a little in my head. :yy:
How does a group report work?
Sorry for all the questions - I'm a tad keen. :biggrin:

(Also what's a MOMD?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is Birmingham like in general? Is there a big booze/partying culture? Is it really sporty? And what are the geography field trips like?
Original post by liomeeringca
Thanks for your reply! Definitely cleared it up a little in my head. :yy:
How does a group report work?
Sorry for all the questions - I'm a tad keen. :biggrin:

(Also what's a MOMD?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about the questions, I remember what I was like :lol: In first year second semester you'll do a module called physical env of Birmingham and be put into small groups. You then do 3 group projects and get a project booklet to complete as a group. When I did the module just under 2 years ago, the first module was using a gps receiver and mapping, second module was going out somewhere in Birmingham with a gps receiver and thermometer measuring surface temperatures (my group was in Cannon Hill Park in the snow. I remember not being able to feel my feet :tongue:) and the third was in the Lickey Hills doing ecology stuff. The projects books involve doing activities and answering questions in the form of a report.

A MOMD is a module outside your main discipline. As a first year geographer you're required to do a 20 credit MOMD module. You can either do a 10 credit module in first semester and 10 credit module in second semester or a 20 module over the 2 semesters. The geography department offers some MOMD modules that you can choose from or you can do one from a completely different department. One of my friends even did a psychology one which many medical students did.

Original post by nmnorgan305
What is Birmingham like in general? Is there a big booze/partying culture? Is it really sporty? And what are the geography field trips like?

Birmingham is just your normal university experience. If you want a booze/parting culture you can find it, if you want sporty you can also find it. It's up to you to find the experience you want because I guarantee you'll find it :smile:

The fieldtrips are the most fun I've had during my degree. In November first year you go one of 4 fieldtrips run for the geographers for 4 days: 2 are in Shropshire and 2 went to Wales. Each fieldtrip is different but you do one day human geography and one day physical geography. In easter second year you go on a fieldtrip abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending