The Student Room Group

Survival trip? Go to live on a council estate.

Many people claim to go on "survival courses/ trips" on these remote islands and fork out money and then have a overly developed sense of achievement which they then brag about.
Especially those posh upper class ***** who say "oh i'm off to the island of (insert name) so and will camp there for (insert number of weeks) and test my survival skills"

I say to all of you, get away from your nice green middle class suburbs and private gated estates and go live on a dangerous council estate, and see how long you survive.
You pathetic lot wouldn't survive at all, you'll be scared so much you'd have wet your pants and probably have all your belongings stolen.

Psht "survival course", go do a "real" survival course here instead, and face the reality that millions of people face every day, now that's a much bigger achievement.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kumon
Many people claim to go on "survival courses/ trips" on these remote islands and fork out money and then have a overly developed sense of achievement which they then brag about.
Especially those posh upper class ***** who say "oh i'm off to the island of (insert name) so and will camp there for (insert number of weeks) and test my survival skills"

I say to all of you, get away from your nice green middle class suburbs and private gated estates and go live on a dangerous council estate, and see how long you survive.
You pathetic lot wouldn't survive at all, you'll be scared so much you'd have wet your pants and probably have all your belongings stolen.

Psht "survival course", go do a "real" survival course here instead, and face the reality that millions of people face every day, now that's a much bigger achievement.

Spoiler

Sorry but I have a degree, I wont ever be living on a council estate. :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Sorry but I have a degree, I wont ever be living on a council estate. :colondollar:

Rubbish troll. I know many graduates that live on council estates and are saving up to move out.
Original post by kumon
Rubbish troll. I know many graduates that live on council estates and are saving up to move out.

I live with my parents rent free. I am very clever with my money.
(edited 9 years ago)
No thanks. I'll keep my silver spoon.
Pssht, get away from your nice liveable council estates and try going to live in Iraq or Syria.
Reply 6
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Pssht, get away from your nice liveable council estates and try going to live in Iraq or Syria.

People on hard council estates don't claim to live there for "survival skills"

unlike you posh upper class people. Glad you learned something.

And just for that comment both get gangs and gun shots through the doors and both have criminals.
Don't make light heart of this.
Original post by kumon
People on hard council estates don't claim to live there for "survival skills"

unlike you posh upper class people. Glad you learned something.

And just for that comment both get gangs and gun shots through the doors and both have criminals.
Don't make light heart of this.

umad? :mmm:
Reply 8
Harder to survive on a deserted Island than it is living in a 3-bed council house with weekly GIRO payment.

Here's the beautiful estate I grew up on and survived:

(edited 9 years ago)
you should watch 'Peckham Finishing School For Girls' which was a BBC3 series that I think kinda ties in with this. it was posh girls mixing it with the ruffians of Peckham. there was also a Geordie series set in some rough-ish part of Newcastle.
Nobody would choose to live on a council estate though.
Reply 11
Original post by 06shawm
Nobody would choose to live on a council estate though.

My parents did
Actually despite what you may think, living on a council estate does not toughen one up, many yuufs from these estates are just as inept at navigating the demands of daily life as their better off equivilents in the suburbs. The only difference being, that the middle class are encouraged to do better for themselves and the council estate lot are encourgae to find anyway possible to get extra ANYTHING.

I grew up on a housing estate in London, and I assure you none of the people who thought they were big and clever as teens were, or are today, however they are all in their lates 20's with at least one child, sometimes I think getting removed from the family home was the luckiest thing that ever happened to me ... in fact I know it was.

In my late teens I spent a few months in a nice little village in Kent while I was waiting to join the army and witnessed the exact same studpidity from elements of that village as was pretty prevailent back in London.

from this

to this

Survival bah don't make me laugh, if the dole office closed tomorrow half of them would starve within a month, the other half would turn on each other and sell their sister for a ounce of weed innit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reue
My parents did

Clearly there are going to be exceptions but I still believe the majority would not live on a council estate if they didn't need too.
Reply 14
Original post by 06shawm
Clearly there are going to be exceptions but I still believe the majority would not live on a council estate if they didn't need too.

So... not exactly nobody then?
Original post by Reue
So... not exactly nobody then?

But most people are not given a choice though. Their situation means they cannot move up the social ladder. If your offered a better lifestyle for your family I would say it is pretty selfish not to take it.
Reply 16
Original post by 06shawm
But most people are not given a choice though. Their situation means they cannot move up the social ladder. If your offered a better lifestyle for your family I would say it is pretty selfish not to take it.

But you're saying that moving off of a council estate automatically means a better lifestyle.

Not always the case.
Can everyone stop with the classism? Not all middle class people are snobs. Not all people living in council estates are stupid pikey scroungers.
yea but africa though

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Whilst perhaps many people with degrees wouldn't choose to live on a council estate , I trust that you realise that to be born on a council estate and to achieve a degree can in some cases be a far greater achievement than someone who lives in a comfortable area doing the same. It is possible to not particularly like the architecture of council estates whilst appreciating that some of the finest and brightest were born on council estates. Heard of journalist and writer Caitlin Moran for instance? Whilst some of the politest, cleverest and most sensitive people I have met have been upper middle class or above, some of the politest, cleverest and most sensitive have also been proudly working class. How do you know that right now, one of the greatest albums ever made is not being knocked out by a young group of lads in a council house bedroom music studio? You might be right to think that you could get through life not caring about that. But it wouldn't make you a nicer, more full, person.