The Student Room Group

Anyone else struggles to keep slim in an Asian household? :(

Anyone living in an Indian/Pakistani household knows how the lifestyles is. The food that we eat is very high in calories.

Ever since I came back home from university for the summer holidays, I've gained 3kg and now I'm really worried. :frown:

I've tried buying my own food but it looks very plain compared to the delicious food that's cooked at home; making it very difficult.

Sometimes I'm so frustrated and worried that I leave the house, in order to get away from all the food and try walking as far as I can, but then I see all these Asian restaurants on my road. :confused:

I really want to keep fit & healthy, as both my parents are over weight and one has diabetes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
not really, i have the metabolism of a god :colone:
Original post by Zen-Ali

Same here.

Must be teh uchiha bloodline

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zen-Ali

high metabolism ftw :biggrin:
Reply 4
Nah, just exercise self-control.

Tbh, Asian food is often a lot healthier than traditional British stuff.
Reply 5
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Same here.

Must be teh uchiha bloodline

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's dat dere mangekyo bruh :biggrin:

Original post by 29Bilal96

used to be worse brah, i used to eat burgers every day as a kid; and im one skinny **** m8 :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
You have to explain to your parents and try to convince them to cook healthy food.
Original post by Lil08
Anyone living in an Indian/Pakistani household knows how the lifestyles is. The food that we eat is very high in calories.

Ever since I came back home from university for the summer holidays, I've gained 3kg and now I'm really worried. :frown:

I've tried buying my own food but it looks very plain compared to the delicious food that's cooked at home; making it very difficult.

Sometimes I'm so frustrated and worried that I leave the house, in order to get away from all the food and try walking as far as I can, but then I see all these Asian restaurants on my road. :confused:

I really want to keep fit & healthy, as both my parents are over weight and one has diabetes.

i also live in an indian household, but not a traditional household. I mean my mother is slim and encourages us to eat healthy so cooks healthy, she uses less/ no oil or butter (ghee is out of the question), we eat with brown bread, we have fruit juices for breakfast (apple, orange, carrot, etc) and we like to keep active, its the small changes that count. Also try not to eat after 6. i understand how it is as whenever i go to my grandmothers, I almost always can't resist
just had 4 samosas and springrolls! :mmm:

says a lot :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Exact reason why I can't wait to go uni, so I can prepare the meals myself!
Good. Hope you gain 3 more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It doesn't matter what you eat, so long as you watch your calorie intake.
Original post by Lil08

i have gain 6 kg :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Haniya223
i have gain 6 kg :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, more of you to like :smile:
Original post by captainncc1701
Don't worry, more of you to like :smile:

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 29Bilal96

Lol yeah I swear I don't stop eating yet I never gain weight...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just weight lift, that way you can eat loads, as long as its not tooo much crap in it, and still gain weight, but look thinner and muscular! Try stronglifts 5x5!
I want to lose weight but them BAM my Indian gene steps in and my love of food takes over. Plus I'm Guju so my "you must eat... blah blah healthy chokri... dieting is useless... you must have one more rotli... that is not enough" mother is always hovering.
Reply 18
Original post by Arithmeticae
high metabolism crew checking in

i normally only have one roti so that helps too

Posted from TSR Mobile

One roti? Wtf kind of a man are you?

I have three maybe four :lol:
Original post by TheBBQ
One roti? Wtf kind of a man are you?

I have three maybe four :lol:

A woman

Posted from TSR Mobile