The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Talybont South Worries

I'm going to study at Cardiff come September and I applied and got into Talybont South, but I'm having some regrets. I didn't really research the places and just applied for whatever.
From what I've been seeing it seems like a lot of the people in Talybont South like to go out clubbing quite a bit, and as that not really my thing I am concerned I may not exactly fit in. Are my worries unfounded?

Scroll to see replies

Hi rob,

It should be ok, no doubt that tally south is one of the bigger party zones out there and there tend to be a lot of parties however i'm sure there are a lot of people who don't tend to go clubbing often and there are some societies that i think you can get involved in with people of similar mindset. (On the plus side though, theres an aston martin showroom just outside taly south so you can get some daily inspiration to get to the boring lectures :P)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by A_Ksn_971
Hi rob,

It should be ok, no doubt that tally south is one of the bigger party zones out there and there tend to be a lot of parties however i'm sure there are a lot of people who don't tend to go clubbing often and there are some societies that i think you can get involved in with people of similar mindset. (On the plus side though, theres an aston martin showroom just outside taly south so you can get some daily inspiration to get to the boring lectures :P)

Do you know anybody who was in Talybont South?
I was in Taly South the past year. It's extremely loud outside, you'll get woken up many times by your housemates and people from neighbouring houses. Yes there will be people in your house who won't go out clubbing as much, and they tend to get isolated from everyone else.
Reply 4
I stayed in Taly South in first year and only went out clubbing during freshers. I'm not a big drinker either, but I didn't have any problems. Yes, it can get loud at night, especially during weekends but I think most student accommodation is like that. There will always be people who aren't into the clubbing scene so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I always recommend Taly South to freshers because there is such a large variety of people that I think it's a good place to meet people and quench some of those anxieties. I'm quite introverted but I didn't really feel isolated in Taly South. I spent a lot of nights having pizza in doors with friends and a movie - you won't feel pressured to go out all the time.

You will also make friends with people on your course and through societies so don't worry about only making friends with people in your accommodation. Staying in Taly South will give you a good opportunity to get to know people from different courses and backgrounds, and that doesn't have to be done through drinking/clubbing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I reckon you'll find people with a similar outlook to yourself, Taly South has a lot of students in and I'm sure you'll make friends with other people from your course and maybe any clubs or societies you join. Personally I've never been clubbing so I don't know if I'd like it or not, but even if I did I would want to do other stuff too.
hello everyone.. i will be doing my postgrad. My choice of accomodation is taly south. (super excited) but i have not yet applied it since i am an international student, waiting for my visa confirmation and it requires 200 non refundable to book my place. am i too late? is there any chance that i would not get my accomodation? any last date for applying?
Hi guys, I guess my question fits this thread... I have seen some people talking about silverfish at Taly South. Can anybody tell me how bad it is? I don't mean to come across as a little delicate flower, but I tend to panic when I see... stuff like that.
Reply 8
Original post by insidemymind
Hi guys, I guess my question fits this thread... I have seen some people talking about silverfish at Taly South. Can anybody tell me how bad it is? I don't mean to come across as a little delicate flower, but I tend to panic when I see... stuff like that.

I came across a couple of silverfish while living in Taly South (and I've heard friends say similar things about North). No doubt you will see one or two while living there.
All part of being independent. :wink:
Reply 9

I have those in my house currently. I don't bother them, they don't bother me. Don't panic! :smile:
Original post by Angury
I came across a couple of silverfish while living in Taly South (and I've heard friends say similar things about North). No doubt you will see one or two while living there.

Original post by wrenny
I have those in my house currently. I don't bother them, they don't bother me. Don't panic! :smile:

Thanks for your input, guys. I've just heard some stuff and got worried it was terrible and unbearable. You seem fine with it, so it can't be that bad. Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by Angury

Somebody didn't keep their room very clean :wink:
My room in Taly North was spotless from the day I moved in to the day I left :tongue:
To the people who have lived in Taly South, what's actually included in the kitchen area? I can't find a list anywhere.
anyone in house 27?

It depends on the house and the flat. People in my house saw loads of silverfish, I saw quite a lot. They tend to hide in your books and beneath the wallboard.
Original post by jessicaware
To the people who have lived in Taly South, what's actually included in the kitchen area? I can't find a list anywhere.

Fridge, oven, cooker and a microwave.
Original post by Miracle Day

Thank you!
Original post by Miracle Day

No freezer? :unimpressed:
Reply 18
Original post by Reluire
No freezer? :unimpressed:

There is a freezer as well.
Original post by Angury
There is a freezer as well.

Yay! :biggrin: Living affordably without a freezer is a tough ask.

Quick Reply

Latest