The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachel479
one more question - do teachers gossip about students in the staff room? I've always wondered this :wink:

I would say 9 out of 10 acts of gossiping are about other teachers rather than students. I can't think of a time when the maths department have been gossiping about the students. Of course, we talk about them and give advice on what works well with Joe Bloggs and we might say that we're concerned about Jane Smith's attendance but that's not gossiping really.
Original post by Davalla
What sort of condition are your teeth in?
Have you ever had any problems in relation to dental braces, ie do you regret having/not having them? :teeth:

I regret not having them as my teeth are all over the place and stained everywhere from all the tea that I drink. How did you know?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Autistic Merit
http://vocaroo.com/i/s17rSGFHtkuJ

That is my voice. I think it is very deep and sounds boring but others have said that there's nothing wrong with it. :confused:

Your voice sounds great buddy. Sounds professional. My personal opinion is that deep voices suit men best. Not sure why you are worrying when it is something to be proud of.
Original post by sgulmedic
Your voice sounds great buddy. Sounds professional. My personal opinion is that deep voices suit men best. Not sure why you are worrying when it is something to be proud of.

Thank you. :smile:

Yeah no one has ever criticised my voice before but some have remarked that it's a bit on the deep side and me, being a bit insecure, have taken this to be a negative rather than a positive in most instances.
Are you/do you wish to be an organ donor?
Original post by Scienceisgood
Are you/do you wish to be an organ donor?

I signed up to it at uni. :smile:
Do you believe you're born intelligent or do you believe it is a trait anyone can achieve?

What is your hair and eye colour?

What's your most proud moment being a teacher?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 687
what do teachers do in the long summer holiday?...Do teachers get bored sometimes as well (as the holidays are so long)
Original post by Scienceisgood
Do you believe you're born intelligent or do you believe it is a trait anyone can achieve?

What is your hair and eye colour?

What's your most proud moment being a teacher?

1. Born intelligent

2. Black hair and brown eyes

3. Getting a student with next to zero confidence in maths (she wouldn't participate in lessons or try, came home all the time saying she hates it and doesn't get any of it) to have the best levels of progress in her year group at the end of year 9; she went from a high level 4 to a middle level 6! I didn't use any trick, I just made sure that I praised every positive and encouraged her when she made positive choices in lessons, especially praised her when she did/said something polite. She is also a lot more confident and happy about maths which makes me confident that I can have a similar impact on others.
Original post by Yux
what do teachers do in the long summer holiday?...Do teachers get bored sometimes as well (as the holidays are so long)

Chilling, TSR, shopping, travelling, watching films, drinking etc. (probably missed off a couple of things)
Hi!
I have set some really high goals for myself for uni, because I just reallllllllllllllly want to get into one of the big ones (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, MIT etc..) but the only bolder standing in the way is when it comes to revising/homework as I am such a big procrastinator :/ I don't know how to get out of it and hw that's meant to take 20mins suddenly takes 40mins+.... Please send some advice/motivation! Thanks
Original post by tacha_bacha
Hi!
I have set some really high goals for myself for uni, because I just reallllllllllllllly want to get into one of the big ones (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, MIT etc..) but the only bolder standing in the way is when it comes to revising/homework as I am such a big procrastinator :/ I don't know how to get out of it and hw that's meant to take 20mins suddenly takes 40mins+.... Please send some advice/motivation! Thanks

Not sure if you would be able to set up something on your computer/internet, so that it is disabled at certain times so that you can get on with some work without distractions?
Thank you. :smile:

Yeah no one has ever criticised my voice before but some have remarked that it's a bit on the deep side and me, being a bit insecure, have taken this to be a negative rather than a positive in most instances.

May I ask if you teach in a sixth form or a high school?

(If it's a school, has it got a sixth form?)
Hello, I have a question. What did you do for your A-Levels and what do you get as results? Thank you in advance. :smile:
Original post by sgulmedic
May I ask if you teach in a sixth form or a high school?

(If it's a school, has it got a sixth form?)

A secondary school with a sixth form.
Original post by Artimus
Hello, I have a question. What did you do for your A-Levels and what do you get as results? Thank you in advance. :smile:

Maths - B
Further maths - B
Chemistry - C
Biology - C
Maths - B
Further maths - B
Chemistry - C
Biology - C

Nice. I'm about to start sixth form, do you have any tips? I'm asking you as you have experience from being a teacher and from being a student.
Original post by Artimus
Nice. I'm about to start sixth form, do you have any tips? I'm asking you as you have experience from being a teacher and from being a student.

Keep up to date with all the homework set. Ask the teacher for help if necessary - there is absolutely no point sitting there pretending to understand when you don't. Chances are, you're not the only one stuck anyway. Make use of the free periods in school; asking teachers for help during this time is really useful.

Also maintain a good work-life balance, eat healthily and get a bit of exercise in each week, even if it's just going for a walk or a bike ride.
Keep up to date with all the homework set. Ask the teacher for help if necessary - there is absolutely no point sitting there pretending to understand when you don't. Chances are, you're not the only one stuck anyway. Make use of the free periods in school; asking teachers for help during this time is really useful.

Also maintain a good work-life balance, eat healthily and get a bit of exercise in each week, even if it's just going for a walk or a bike ride.

I'll take this into account, thank you for doing this by the way. :biggrin:
A secondary school with a sixth form.

I want your help with something. Can I PM you?

Latest