The Student Room Group

Is anyone else going to see Kate Bush this summer/autumn?

I got tickets for September 10th. Unbelievably excited!
I applied for tickets but they sold out.

However I did go to see Monty Python at the O2 so I'm feeling that might have been my London outing for the year.

Even though it's been 35 years since Kate Bush's last tour...

If you've got no-one to go with I'll buy one please.
Reply 2
Jealous! I'm really very sorry, but I have already promised the second ticket to a good friend of mine. However, you should keep an eye on Kate Bush forums and even Kate's Last.Fm page as a number of people are writing about having an extra ticket. You are aware of ticket regulations though, yes? It means you would have to attend the show with the person selling it to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have tickets for the 3rd September. I am BEYOND excited.

The Kick Inside was probably the first album I listened to. I remember being obsessed by Moving, Wuthering Heights and Kite at the age of 6 or 7.

It's going to be a brilliant month for everyone going!! I hope you have great time, Ciaran!
Fan of Kate Bush, and I did get asked to go, but I wasn't sure if I'd like her live performances now. If she was 19/20/21 again, I would have said yeah. Mind you, the opening shows got good reviews.

I really like "This Womans Work" as a favourite song.
The setlist contains 2 of my favourite relatively ambient works by her. Watching you without me and An Architects Dream.

Shame that it doesn't contain Experiment IV but that would probably be too difficult to replicate live.A

And was This Womans Work even included? No other track from The Sensual World was.
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
The setlist contains 2 of my favourite relatively ambient works by her. Watching you without me and An Architects Dream.

Shame that it doesn't contain Experiment IV but that would probably be too difficult to replicate live.A

And was This Womans Work even included? No other track from The Sensual World was.

No, its wasn't. I haven't seen the show yet (I'm going on the 3rd), but I believe that the only songs not from Aerial or The Ninth Wave were: RUTH, Hounds of Love, Lily, Top of the City, Among Angels and Cloudbusting.

I agree that Experiment IV would be difficult to replicate, but I think Kate's performing Waking the Witch in 'Before the Dawn' - by far the most demanding song to recreate in my opinion.
Original post by Beatlemania
Fan of Kate Bush, and I did get asked to go, but I wasn't sure if I'd like her live performances now. If she was 19/20/21 again, I would have said yeah. Mind you, the opening shows got good reviews.

I really like "This Womans Work" as a favourite song.

I think Before the Dawn has all the theatricality and boldness of Tour of Life - just less dancing from Kate. It's important to appreciate that Kate's best songs (at least as far most fans are concerned) were from the second half of her career. It's this wealth of beautiful content that we're getting from these new shows. The albums created when she was younger were very much experimental efforts and prototypes of themes and sounds to be explored later. Don't forget that most of The Kick Inside and Lionheart was written when she was between the age of 13 and 18.

If you haven't already seen them, there are pictures circling of the tour programme on Twitter and Instagram. If you're not going to the show, they are a great insight into the creative process, with interviews from Kate etc. There are also multiple videos on Youtube of the encore. Hopefully a DVD will be released for everyone who didn't get a ticket - I think this may have been one reason for the photography ban.
Original post by Ciarán
I got tickets for September 10th. Unbelievably excited!

I'm so jealous you got tickets!!! I'm gutted I didn't manage to get any :sad:

Which is your favourite album of hers?:smile:
THE SHOW WAS AMAZING.
Absolutely phenomenal! There was a technical difficulty in the first act, causing a 20 minute delay, but even that didn't spoil the evening.

It's honestly better than anything you could possibly expect. Even the lighting on its own was incredible. If anything, Kate's voice has gotten stronger over the years, and you can't comprehend the power of her voice until you've seen it live.

The show is like 15% conventional gig, 5% film and 80% avant garde theatre.

Anyone who is going to see this will be blown away, I promise you. I hope everyone going has a great time :smile:
It's still a bit odd that she's missed out The Sensual World album completely. A lot of it was enhanced by the Trio Bulgarka and the Director's Cut didn't really improve on that in my opinion but there are several songs that don't feature them.

But I actually respect her leaving out This Women's Work. This is not a charity appeal concert which that song has been a bit hijacked as.

But no Sat in your lap , Suspended in gaffa or Breathing, never performed at The Tour Of Life I would think , it being in 1979.
Well it is still to be regarded as brave. I am very pleased it's not just a 'greatest hits'. It's mainly her 2 concept pieces and the hits from Hounds of Love.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'm so jealous you got tickets!!! I'm gutted I didn't manage to get any :sad:

Which is your favourite album of hers?:smile:

Hopefully this won't be a one off and you'll get the chance to see her! I think my favourite album is 'The Dreaming'. I love every track; beginning to end. How about you?

Original post by strangephenomena
THE SHOW WAS AMAZING.
Absolutely phenomenal! There was a technical difficulty in the first act, causing a 20 minute delay, but even that didn't spoil the evening.

It's honestly better than anything you could possibly expect. Even the lighting on its own was incredible. If anything, Kate's voice has gotten stronger over the years, and you can't comprehend the power of her voice until you've seen it live.

The show is like 15% conventional gig, 5% film and 80% avant garde theatre.

Anyone who is going to see this will be blown away, I promise you. I hope everyone going has a great time :smile:

Thanks for the info. I have been keeping up with spoilers online too, however. I really cannot wait! It is going to be a dream come true. In fact, I still feel as though I am dreaming because I never thought that this opportunity would arise! What time do your recommend arriving at the venue at? Also, where were you sat? I'm considering binoculars lol.

Original post by Nogoodsorgods
It's still a bit odd that she's missed out The Sensual World album completely. A lot of it was enhanced by the Trio Bulgarka and the Director's Cut didn't really improve on that in my opinion but there are several songs that don't feature them.

But I actually respect her leaving out This Women's Work. This is not a charity appeal concert which that song has been a bit hijacked as.

But no Sat in your lap , Suspended in gaffa or Breathing, never performed at The Tour Of Life I would think , it being in 1979.
Well it is still to be regarded as brave. I am very pleased it's not just a 'greatest hits'. It's mainly her 2 concept pieces and the hits from Hounds of Love.

Those three song are three of my all time favourites. Initially I was upset about the absence of my favourite tracks, but, alas, I'm going to see Kate mutha f-ing Bush!
I'm also going on 10 September now.

'Lily, Oh Lily I don't feel safe'

Apt choice of opening song considering its opening lines when it's 35 years since your last tour.
I think excluding The Sensual World definitely made sense once I had seen the show. It's a concept piece, and The Ninth Wave and Sky of Honey are the only concept suites she has created.
Original post by Ciarán
Thanks for the info. I have been keeping up with spoilers online too, however. I really cannot wait! It is going to be a dream come true. In fact, I still feel as though I am dreaming because I never thought that this opportunity would arise! What time do your recommend arriving at the venue at? Also, where were you sat? I'm considering binoculars lol.

I was at the very back of the circle - literally the back row. I was still able to enjoy the show from that seat, and only used the binoculars/opera glasses a handful of times. There are times (such as the opening song, and particular moments during the Ninth Wave) where you might want to see Kate's face, and they're great for that, but for me there is so much going on all over the stage that binoculars can sometimes narrow your view. By the way, if your way back at the circle, it does have its advantages! I saw stuff in the show that people in the front row stalls were unable to. The show is definitely designed to encompass everybody wherever they are sitting. I won't spoil it, but there is a moment where 'technology' interacts with the audience, and I think everyone was blown away by it, wherever they were in the theatre. I don't know if you've been to the Apollo before but it's not like an arena venue - it feels beautifully small and atmospheric. It's also been recently refurbished and the foyer is beautiful.

Most importantly, ENJOY IT! It's a truly special performance and we are among a privileged few who were lucky enough to get tickets. It's great seeing the diversity of the fans when queuing (doors open promptly at 6.15 and if you're near the front you get in almost instantly). I think the youngest person there was about 10, and I saw a lot of people in their 80s also. It's such a great atmosphere, knowing that everyone there has been waiting for this moment of decades!

Finally, make sure you have I.D. for the lead booker of the tickets :smile:

Have fun :biggrin: and if you want want merch ( £15< ), grab it quickly!
(edited 9 years ago)
I arrived at 5:50 which was too early to be honest. I was in the queue for 25 minutes, and then was waiting in the bar/foyer for about 10-15 minutes before they opened the theatre doors. Then I waited in my seat for even longer. There is very quiet music playing while you wait in your seats, and you can see the set, but it's nothing worth watching for just less than a hour.

If you are in there early however, it's a great opportunity to view/buy the merch before the huge (HUGE) crowds gather around the stand.

Show starts at 7.45, so just make sure you're in time for that :smile:

P.S: There's a certain collectible item available for taking during the interval (still trying to avoid spoilers). Run down to the front of the stalls and get it quickly :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Best show I've ever been to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SPOILERS:

It did a decent job of conveying the 2 concept pieces and it contained a decent number of hits from her career 1985 to now. It was nice to see 2 songs from The Red Shoes in there and fortunately everyone seems to have accepted that this was not labelled as a 'Greatest Hits not recorded at the time of the last tour' - it's Kate's baby so no moaning for not having Moments of Pleasure, nor any of Never forever , The Dreaming nor The Sensual World! The waste!

Kate Bush's voice is still fine, more so than the superfluous Director's Cut suggested.

There wasn't much visual embellishment to Hounds of Love, Cloudbusting or King of the mountain. Short of putting the videos on in the background, I suppose that they didn't feel the need to.

But Watching you without me and An Architects Dream were given memorable sets. Trees came crashing down and it seemed strange to me that they weren't the accompaniment to Hounds of Love or The Sensual World.

Both Waking the witch and the title track of Aerial are exciting stuff and Sunset got deserving, dancing, praise from the audience. The track Aerial does deserve more people to know about it. As it goes on, it's as if it encapsulates all the mad energy of The Dreaming era. It's always reminded me of the remix of Tori Amos's Professional Widow.

The Hammersmith Appolo is a relatively tiny theatre for such a huge act so you could see everything without any screens.

Because you were a tiny distance away from Kate Bush at Hammersmith that gave it a personal feel. And Bertie had a new song to sing too which I really liked.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest