The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Malevolent
Also Logan Mankins traded to the Buccs for TE Tim Wright and a 4th round pick next year. Think it could be a win/win for both sides.

It looks win/win to me, Mankins is old but good and a big upgrade on the Bucs interior line. Wright is inexperienced, potentially brilliant and gives some great looking 2 tight end set options or if Gronk goes down is more than a serviceable replacement.

Things I want to know about the Patriots:

Does Garrapolo look like Brady's successor so far?

Is this team Superbowl ready this season?

Is the outside perception of Bill Belichick as some kind of KGB level secret, Josef Stalin level ruthless, Dynamo level magic and Royal Marine level efficient guy accurate?

How do you rate the draft and free agency?

Can anyone from the 2014 draft be instant impact on the team?

Who's the best Patriots fantasy sleeper this season?
Wattsy you wonderful, marvellous, schmexy thing you :godancing: 'Twas excellent work, mundo appreciated (durn my lack of reps)

What kind of stuff would you like to know about the Pats?

Yeah brill, Pats being an AFC team are a bit of a blind spot for me. Hmmm let's see, mostly similar stuff:

What's the general consensus among the fanbase right now about the current state of affairs? Coaches still well liked, optimistic for a superbowl and all that stuff.

What are the main areas of improvement going into the offseason?

How do you feel the off season has gone?

Any steals in the draft that you feel are particularly worth looking out for this year?

With Tom Brady getting to the end of his career do you guys have a QB who can become the new franchise? Are the Pats well prepared for the future with younger players who can take over?

Going into the end of the pre-season, what concerns, if any, do you still have about the Pats? And has anything particularly impressed you with their performance?

And last but not least, how do you think this year is going to go for you guys?
Original post by Wattsy
It looks win/win to me, Mankins is old but good and a big upgrade on the Bucs interior line. Wright is inexperienced, potentially brilliant and gives some great looking 2 tight end set options or if Gronk goes down is more than a serviceable replacement.

T

I agree gonna miss Mankins guy was tough as nails for us but have to move on. With Wright we can go back to that 2 tight end set. Tim Wright did such a good job with Glennon throwing the ball :lol:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Wattsy you wonderful, marvellous, schmexy thing you :godancing: 'Twas excellent work, mundo appreciated (durn my lack of reps)

Thanks, felt a little bit fact heavy at my end but with the Jags it really is mostly about personnel at the minute. By the end I was damning my lack of defensive alignment knowledge. I have yet to find a solid explanation for Will and Sam linebacker spots and the Leo DE position. 1 tech, 3 tech, 5 tech, 7 tech is as far as my knowledge goes and that's on pure alignment technicalities rather than key skills for each position or how beating your block differs from each angle.

I assume the wider you get the more options the OL has so the more situational DE/OLB pass rush play becomes. If you're the DT and you're at the 1 tech position or 0 tech position your only option particularly at DT size is to run the center or the guard over because if you were to swim you'd probably horribly imbalance yourself and crash into the adjacent guard anyway. Tackles have more blocking options so the game is more adaptive?
I just did my first mock.

Team looked like this:

1. Matt Forte (RB1)
2, Dez Bryant (WR1)
3. Arian Foster (RB2)
4. Jordy Nelson (WR2)
5. Zac Stacy (RB3)
6. Vernon Davis (TE)
7. Michael Floyd (WR3)
8. Toby Gerhart (RB4)
9. Greg Olsen (WR4)
10. Matt Ryan (QB1)
11, Torrey Smith (WR5)
12. Devonta Freeman (RB5)
13. Ryan Tannehill (QB2)
14. St. Louis Rams (D)
15. Justin Tucker (K)

It was an 8 team mock but if my team looks like that at the end of our draft I'll be pretty pleased, Somehow I don't think it will though, you people strike me as better than letting me have that team from draft position 5.
Original post by Wattsy
I just did my first mock.

Team looked like this:

1. Matt Forte (RB1)
2, Dez Bryant (WR1)
3. Arian Foster (RB2)
4. Jordy Nelson (WR2)
5. Zac Stacy (RB3)
6. Vernon Davis (TE)
7. Michael Floyd (WR3)
8. Toby Gerhart (RB4)
9. Greg Olsen (WR4)
10. Matt Ryan (QB1)
11, Torrey Smith (WR5)
12. Devonta Freeman (RB5)
13. Ryan Tannehill (QB2)
14. St. Louis Rams (D)
15. Justin Tucker (K)

It was an 8 team mock but if my team looks like that at the end of our draft I'll be pretty pleased, Somehow I don't think it will though, you people strike me as better than letting me have that team from draft position 5.

That's a really nice team... and you got Justin Tucker in the 15th round too... well done.

The team for my draft with my friends is..

QB - Nick Foles
RB1 - Eddie Lacy
RB2 - Alfred Morris
WR1 - Antonio Brown
WR2 - Percy Harvin
TE - Jimmy Graham
Flex - Frank Gore
D/ST - Saints
K - Mason Crosby

Then my bench is McFadden, Jones-Drew, Golden Tate, Marques Colston, Jay Cutler, Steve Smith and Charles Clay.

Have to say I'm amazed that I got Graham, Lacy, Morris and Brown all in one team. If Harvin stays healthy and Foles does a decent job then I could be in the money :colondollar:
Original post by cant_think_of_name
That's a really nice team... and you got Justin Tucker in the 15th round too... well done.

The team for my draft with my friends is..

QB - Nick Foles
RB1 - Eddie Lacy
RB2 - Alfred Morris
WR1 - Antonio Brown
WR2 - Percy Harvin
TE - Jimmy Graham
Flex - Frank Gore
D/ST - Saints
K - Mason Crosby

Then my bench is McFadden, Jones-Drew, Golden Tate, Marques Colston, Jay Cutler, Steve Smith and Charles Clay.

Have to say I'm amazed that I got Graham, Lacy, Morris and Brown all in one team. If Harvin stays healthy and Foles does a decent job then I could be in the money :colondollar:

That's decent that team, especially if Harvin stays healthy; he's got a boom/bust label on my colour coded draft board for health reasons, Foles/Cutler could even be interchanged on a matchup basis. Getting Lacy and Graham is ridiculous, in a 10 man league they're both 1st round locks. Brown put up some mad numbers in 2013. Morris was good even when the Redskins sucked and you have to think that they'll be better this year.

Got to say there was some fairly unorthodox draft strategies going on for me to come out with my team, someone picked the Seahawks D in the 6th, Marshawn Lynch went before Eddie Lacy, Gotskowski went in the 9th, and Matt Ryan who has a ADP of 59 fell to me in the 10th. Andy Dalton lasted to a few picks before I got Tannehill, I think everyone forgets he was a top 5 fantasy QB last season. He's still got AJ Green, if I'm waiting on both QBs and Dalton is available in Round 12 I'm all over it! Torrey Smith in Round 11 sticks out too, his ADP is 50, Fabs was harping that he was an awesome WR4 option and he ends up my 5th guy. Really I should have probably drafted Smith and Olsen the other way around according to ADP.

I might try mock drafting a top 3 QB early and see how badly it affects me for running backs next because that seems to be a big debate at the minute.

Edit: I just remembered that Olsen is a TE, so actually I drafted 2 TE's by mistake, I'll endeavour not to do that again!
(edited 9 years ago)
BORTLES TO LEE for a 57 yd TD... A phrase we'll likely hear a lot in the next few years.

Antone Smith on the Falcons? I have no idea either but the man can shift. Most people have afterburners, he has a jet engine, 3 strides and he's at full speed and you are not going to catch him! 66 yards on a screen against the Jags 3rd string D
(edited 9 years ago)
Damn talk about stepping out of Manziels shadow. Kenny Hill exploded tonight!

and I haven't forgotten about the questions about the Pats just been very busy in camp. Will do them either later or tomorrow :h:
Well, I'm happy with that Seahawks game, even if we lost. Lynch, Michael, Baldwin and Harvin didn't even get a touch, Kearse, Willson and Miller took 4 between them and Wilson played four plays for 77 yards passing and a TD. And then they took him off and played Terrelle Pryor for most of the game.
Well that was awkward. If ever you want proof of how important good special teams are it's there, although credit to Walters after messing up he did really go all out. I think he probably just makes the team, and even though I think it's sadly unlikely i'm really pulling for Small to make it on.

Well, I'm happy with that Seahawks game, even if we lost. Lynch, Michael, Baldwin and Harvin didn't even get a touch, Kearse, Willson and Miller took 4 between them and Wilson played four plays for 77 yards passing and a TD. And then they took him off and played Terrelle Pryor for most of the game.

It does show though that while the starting 53 will be stronger than last, we don't really have that depth on defence that we did last year. Loving Schofield though and Johnson has been a big surprise. Bad day for the back-up QBs too (although I liked Daniels) but hopefully we can trade some and get some better players for them. Pryor just seems like an athlete playing QB, which is a shame as he could really work in another position.

Good job our starting offense played to perfection :love: Expecting big things from other Willson this year, I like the guy and he and he compliments Miller's lack of speed well. P-Rich has his best game despite the numbers but yeah, O-Line and interior D-line are a major concern, it's like back in the tampa game last year but they seemed to kick it into gear after that. Best bright spot to take away was that Hill was finally playing well. As Jacson Bevens said it seems all our best backups are in positions we aren't concerned with anyway -sigh-

And fair play to them Carr looked really good out there, hopefully they won't screw it up somehow like normal :holmes:
Could someone update me on how many open spots are in the fantasy league and possibly quote the guys who wanted in and haven't joined yet please? Zakynthian wifi is terrible and I'm really hoping to get this draft done on Wednesday.

Also, to who asked about why manning isn't the #1 fantasy player, every team needs at least 2 running backs = 24 out of 32 starters as opposed to 12 qbs (in a 12 team league) . Thats not even considering back ups and the flex position so imagine your 3rd rotation RB was taken after everyone in the league had 3 running backs, you wouldn't have a starter as a back up for bye weeks. Quarterbacks are needed in a lower quantity and wide receivers generally are starting pairs so there is more choice hence why often the first round entirely is made up of running backs.
Original post by ..DT..
Could someone update me on how many open spots are in the fantasy league and possibly quote the guys who wanted in and haven't joined yet please? Zakynthian wifi is terrible and I'm really hoping to get this draft done on Wednesday.

Also, to who asked about why manning isn't the #1 fantasy player, every team needs at least 2 running backs = 24 out of 32 starters as opposed to 12 qbs (in a 12 team league) . Thats not even considering back ups and the flex position so imagine your 3rd rotation RB was taken after everyone in the league had 3 running backs, you wouldn't have a starter as a back up for bye weeks. Quarterbacks are needed in a lower quantity and wide receivers generally are starting pairs so there is more choice hence why often the first round entirely is made up of running backs.

7, 7 spots open in the league. Me, you and someone else are in so far, I'll try and quote everyone else in now.
x:

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
x

x

Original post by Scott129
x

Original post by jimbles
x

Original post by ProgFeanor
x

Original post by Zubby77
x

Original post by Ash Ketchum
x

Original post by Tokyoround
x

Original post by alow
x

Hello NFL Talk thread inhabitants, you may or may not have registered your interest in the TSR Fantasy Football League but since you all post here and we have a spot spare anyway I've quoted you all in. We currently have 3 registered teams for the 10 team league, the draft is supposed to be in 3 days, if you're interested now or registered interest earlier, could you please sign up.

http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/...agueId=2570094

Pass: TSR

Click the link and enter the details in order to register, the draft time is set for Wednesday September 3rd at 4:00 PM BST
(edited 9 years ago)
Much appreciated pal. Found a bit of wifi again. If the league doesn't fill I have a few friends that could help but it's kinda redundant if there isn't like 8 of this forum posters in it.

If we can't fill we will have to consider starting in week 2 instead of week 1
Any more spaces? :smile:

I'm already in two leagues, a third wouldn't hurt.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Any more spaces? :smile:

I'm already in two leagues, a third wouldn't hurt.

Yeah we had 9 people register initial interest so I guess you could fill spot 10. Initial interest seems to have waned as well so you might as well register.
Are you guys doing fantasy? I don't know anything about fantasy lol. Thought I'd give you guys my week 1 predictions (winner in green)

Green Bay Packers @ Seattle Seahawks (bold I know)
Buffalo Bills @ Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns @ Pittsburgh Steelers
Jacksonville Jags @ Philadelphia Eagles
New England @ Miami Dolphins (go pats)
New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Bucs
Cincinnati Bengals @ Baltimore Ravens
Washington Redskins @ Houston Texans
Tennessee Titans @ KC Chiefs
Minnesota Vikings @ STL Rams
Oakland Raiders @ NY Jets
SF Niners @ Dallas Cowboys
Indy Colts @ Denver Broncos
NY Giants @ Detroit Lions
SD Chargers @ Arizona Cardinals

Thoughts?
Original post by Renascence
Are you guys doing fantasy? I don't know anything about fantasy lol. Thought I'd give you guys my week 1 predictions (winner in green)

Green Bay Packers @ Seattle Seahawks (bold I know)
Buffalo Bills @ Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns @ Pittsburgh Steelers
Jacksonville Jags @ Philadelphia Eagles
New England @ Miami Dolphins (go pats)
New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Bucs
Cincinnati Bengals @ Baltimore Ravens
Washington Redskins @ Houston Texans
Tennessee Titans @ KC Chiefs
Minnesota Vikings @ STL Rams
Oakland Raiders @ NY Jets
SF Niners @ Dallas Cowboys
Indy Colts @ Denver Broncos
NY Giants @ Detroit Lions
SD Chargers @ Arizona Cardinals

Thoughts?

I like most of them. I don't like GB @ Seattle, if I'm a betting man this week I'm also staying well away from the Chargers, Redskins, Vikings and Saints actually when they're playing the Falcons who I think are going to be loads better this year. The Saints will probably win but I want to see how the Falcons play before I bet against them.
Hi guys - are there still spaces for fantasy? I played in (and won!) the TSR league 3 years back and would be keen. I clicked on the link and there seemed to only be 4 teams signed up, but don't want to jump in if other people here have a team but just haven't signed up yet?

Latest