The Student Room Group

English Lang or Lit for a law degre

I am finding it hard on whether to take English Lang or lit for a level. I am eager in a career in law. Other options I am considering taking are geography and welsh as I did well in both of these subjects, I am fluent in welsh and so my teachers advised that it would give me an advantage over other applicants at uni if I spoke 2 languages. Any help would be great!!
English Literature all the way. It's better and far more respected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lit, unless you have a particular interest in Lang.
Original post by Edminzodo
English Literature all the way. It's better and far more respected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lang would actually work quite well for Law, language deconstruction is a useful tool to have in your armoury as a lawyer, just isn't as well respected and most people find it dull.
Original post by Le Nombre
Lang would actually work quite well for Law, language deconstruction is a useful tool to have in your armoury as a lawyer, just isn't as well respected and most people find it dull.

Thank you, what do you think about welsh and geography?
Original post by Iliketortoises
Thank you, what do you think about welsh and geography?

I'm not sure about Welsh, is it basically Welsh Lit or more like a MFL? If it's the latter it might not be accepted by unis if you're bilingual. Geography's a solid academic A Level, sure plenty of Law students have it.
I'm not sure about Welsh, is it basically Welsh Lit or more like a MFL? If it's the latter it might not be accepted by unis if you're bilingual. Geography's a solid academic A Level, sure plenty of Law students have it.

It would probably be language as I don't think I could cope well with 2 lit if I take English lit as well. What would you suggest instead of welsh?

Welsh doesn't work like other languages. There are two specs; one for first language speakers and one for learners.
It would probably be language as I don't think I could cope well with 2 lit if I take English lit as well. What would you suggest instead of welsh?

Is it the native speakers one Nulli describes above? If not, what else would be interested in doing?
Is it the native speakers one Nulli describes above? If not, what else would be interested in doing?

Yes that one. I missed a lot of school due to an illness so I had to drop a few subjects like French and history so I don't have as many a level choices to choose from. I could pick up a new subject but I have no idea which one?
Yes that one. I missed a lot of school due to an illness so I had to drop a few subjects like French and history so I don't have as many a level choices to choose from. I could pick up a new subject but I have no idea which one?

Doesn't seem anything wrong with that then.

If you wanted you can usually pick up subjects like History at A Level, it's not like you need the skills you learned (or didn't, to be more accurate) at GCSE for it.
Doesn't seem anything wrong with that then.

If you wanted you can usually pick up subjects like History at A Level, it's not like you need the skills you learned (or didn't, to be more accurate) at GCSE for it.

Yeah I could do that. If not do you know any other subjects that could be helpful for law please?
Yeah I could do that. If not do you know any other subjects that could be helpful for law please?

Anything reasonably academic, that's pretty much it. Lots of lawyers have subjects like Languages, History, Geography, English etc., which is predictable as it's an essay based subject.

I found History the most useful in terms of having skills when I got to uni, but that's just personal experience.
Anything reasonably academic, that's pretty much it. Lots of lawyers have subjects like Languages, History, Geography, English etc., which is predictable as it's an essay based subject.

I found History the most useful in terms of having skills when I got to uni, but that's just personal experience.

Okay, thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending