The Student Room Group

Pharmacy job market

Calling all practicing pharmacists/MPharm graduates.
Honestly, what is the pharmacy job market like, what chance is there of getting a job as a pharmacist soon after graduating?
What about your experiences?
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by plasmaman
Honestly, what is the pharmacy job market like, what chance is there of getting a job as a pharmacist soon after graduating?
Thanks in advance

It depends where you want to go and what sector you want to work in. If you want to work in a large city it can be very difficult, particularly London. Also hospital is very competitive at the moment, not many band 6 jobs coming up especially in the big cities. Honestly, its pretty poor.
Reply 2
Thanks for the candid reply, it sounds tough out there
Hello,

Which healthcare profession, or even other science related occupations, would you say didn't have a bleak employment market (except for doctors and dentists)?
Original post by plasmaman
Thanks in advance

I haven't done Pharmacy but a good friend of mine's brother does it and a mate of mine does it too. One graduated about 2-3 years ago and has been doing Locom since. Another graduated about 6-7 years ago and does locom too. One says locom is alright but hospitals is where he wants to get in to in the near future. The field is very over-saturated, according to them both.

Original post by Habiba Hussain
Hello,

Which healthcare profession, or even other science related occupations, would you say didn't have a bleak employment market (except for doctors and dentists)?

Optometry?
Reply 5
Original post by randomgeeza
I haven't done Pharmacy but a good friend of mine's brother does it and a mate of mine does it too. One graduated about 2-3 years ago and has been doing Locom since. Another graduated about 6-7 years ago and does locom too. One says locom is alright but hospitals is where he wants to get in to in the near future. The field is very over-saturated, according to them both.

Optometry?

Ok thanks that's what Ive heard
Going into my 4th year of pharmacy this September, and currently applying for jobs everywhere.

There are jobs available in small, independent community pharmacies, but that also really depends on how willing you are to relocate.

Bigger chain community pharmacies (Boots, Llyods) require you to do a summer placement with them first, and chances of getting summer placements with them are slim, you can up your chances by having a saturday job at their stores. Boots summer placements are awarded based on an MCQ personality test, no CV or anything. Other pharmacies require that + for you to type long answers to why you want to work with them, examples of you being a team player/leader etc.

Hospital pharmacy is extremely competitive. One hospital can have 4 pre-registration places, and 100-200 applicants. They will shortlist only 12-20 for interviews and choose only 4 from them. You can increase your chances by having a hospital summer placement and attending the hospital's open day.
Reply 7
Original post by marceline02
Going into my 4th year of pharmacy this September, and currently applying for jobs everywhere.

There are jobs available in small, independent community pharmacies, but that also really depends on how willing you are to relocate.

Bigger chain community pharmacies (Boots, Llyods) require you to do a summer placement with them first, and chances of getting summer placements with them are slim, you can up your chances by having a saturday job at their stores. Boots summer placements are awarded based on an MCQ personality test, no CV or anything. Other pharmacies require that + for you to type long answers to why you want to work with them, examples of you being a team player/leader etc.

Hospital pharmacy is extremely competitive. One hospital can have 4 pre-registration places, and 100-200 applicants. They will shortlist only 12-20 for interviews and choose only 4 from them. You can increase your chances by having a hospital summer placement and attending the hospital's open day.

hey which uni are you at
Original post by and234
hey which uni are you at

University of Strathclyde, Scotland :smile:
Reply 9
University of Strathclyde, Scotland :smile:

im going kings college london really worried about the job prospects after 4 years
Original post by and234
im going kings college london really worried about the job prospects after 4 years

Well it is competitive, but I haven't heard of anyone NOT getting a pre-registration spot YET. You can't be too picky at this point, just apply everywhere, keep your options wide open :smile:
Reply 11
Well it is competitive, but I haven't heard of anyone NOT getting a pre-registration spot YET. You can't be too picky at this point, just apply everywhere, keep your options wide open :smile:

being a pharmacy student yourself do you know about the reputation of pharmacy at kings college in general?
Original post by and234
being a pharmacy student yourself do you know about the reputation of pharmacy at kings college in general?

Not really, my apologies. If you are scared about not getting a job in the future, get a part-time job at a pharmacy once term starts, it may not be relevant now, but will look really good in your CV next time when you start applying for jobs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending