The Student Room Group

If we found the cure for every disease...

All the time scientists are at work to eradicate diseases from cancer to Aids to leukaemia. We fund decades long projects to ultimately make sure every disease is removed from this world in hope no human suffers or dies from them.

Let's say we do achieve this point of "disproving the natural occurrence of life and death" and no human would die, would that be good?

Consider birth rates remain as they do(except we have this very very low death rate) and age expectancy was increased ten-fold, the human population would increase exponentially. Since we are not victim to disease or death at birth the growth in the global human population would spike and continue to year by year.

Already starvation is widespread in the modern world. Imagine what would happen if no one was dying in the world we hope to achieve. Within 5 years high levels of starvation would reach all the corners of the western world. The continual growth could not be met with supply of education and home ownership. The overpopulation will consume every inch of land and considering desertification, growth of agricultural land and urban development the space for housing development will be minute. Not to mention increased levels of pollution contributing to global warming which would consequently flood large regions of coastland and low sea level nations. Eventually there will be mass deaths more than what we have ever seen. The world is only so big and all the time we are starving it of recourses. What source power could maintain such a population?

Overall do you think our obsession to control nature and play God will be our downfall as a species? Already it is pushing other species to extinction so will it eventually do so to ours?
(edited 9 years ago)
I think by the time this happens (if ever), we will have inhabited other planets.
Reply 2
Why would curing diseases mean people don't die? Old age is still a recognised death. People die of "natural causes" because their body tissues degrade. 'Simply' curing illnesses and disease wouldn't stop that.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr...
Scientists are not trying to get immortality. They are just trying to eradicate diseases and let us live longer and peacefully. However at some point when we have achieved that I think that will be the case :moon:

We aren't trying to play God, we're trying to make the world a healthier and a safer place to live :yep:

Did you just finish reading Frankenstein - Mary Shelley ​by any chance? :curious:

Lol funny, but what I mean is a consequent development after curing these diseases and illnesses is that the death rate falls and life expectancy increases. From here the population increases until we become more overpopulated. Surely these diseases act as population control much like we control pests do they not? Hey I'm not suggesting anything but I'm curious, it is obvious where the world is going, I just want to know what happens after providing our interference in nature does not create a widespread deadly virus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending