The Student Room Group

Remarks for 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Renascence
Ah now I'm in a massive dilemma. I have no basis upon which I can launch an appeal, but I'm also unwilling to accept that I'm 1 ums away from an A.. could be the difference between an offer and no offer. What could I possibly do next? A clerical check perhaps?

A clerical check just ensures they have marked the whole paper and counted up and recorded your marks correctly - it is included in the remark you already had done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renascence
Ah now I'm in a massive dilemma. I have no basis upon which I can launch an appeal, but I'm also unwilling to accept that I'm 1 ums away from an A.. could be the difference between an offer and no offer. What could I possibly do next? A clerical check perhaps?

You have to accept it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a remark for Edexcel's 6HI03E (a level history Cold War option) and it came back unchanged at a high C. I was predicted an A*, and I got a photocopy of my paper back yesterday which has made me think I've been significantly undermarked. I got 22/30 in one essay and 20/40 in another, when I think it should be more like 24-5/30 and 30+/40.

I think a major reason for this is my handwriting - it's terrible to the extent that even I have to spend a minute or so in one or two places trying to decipher what a particular word was. However, it is still legible, and after typing up both if my answers in order to remove the difficulties of my handwriting, I think my answers deserve more marks than they got.

I've emailed my photocopied script and the typed up version of my answers to my history teacher, and explained the situation to him, but does anyone here have any advice on grounds for a successful appeal?
Original post by bored565
I had a remark for Edexcel's 6HI03E (a level history Cold War option) and it came back unchanged at a high C. I was predicted an A*, and I got a photocopy of my paper back yesterday which has made me think I've been significantly undermarked. I got 22/30 in one essay and 20/40 in another, when I think it should be more like 24-5/30 and 30+/40.

I think a major reason for this is my handwriting - it's terrible to the extent that even I have to spend a minute or so in one or two places trying to decipher what a particular word was. However, it is still legible, and after typing up both if my answers in order to remove the difficulties of my handwriting, I think my answers deserve more marks than they got.

I've emailed my photocopied script and the typed up version of my answers to my history teacher, and explained the situation to him, but does anyone here have any advice on grounds for a successful appeal?

If the issue is your work is partially unreadable and your arguments can't be followed then I don't think that amounts to grounds for an appeal. However, if handwriting is a real issue talk to your exams officer, it may be possible to type your answers in future exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Quick update!
After 12 days, my OCR English Lit exam remained unchanged which sucks even though I was always three marks away. It's still so strange to think that two markers can mark the exact same in a subject as subjective as English Lit but there you go I guess.
Good luck to anybody else still waiting!
i got a remark for my spanish SN3 oral on WJEC last tuesday

wish they'd hurry up apparently they're really slow :frown:
Original post by hotliketea
i got a remark for my spanish SN3 oral on WJEC last tuesday

wish they'd hurry up apparently they're really slow :frown:

I had to wait aaaaages for a history remark

Didn't help my school didn't even tell me they had it

How do you know if you should have an oral remark? Must be difficult to objectively decide
I think it's horrible waiting for remarks! AQA have been really slow, but I can understand that they have many scripts to remark, yet I wish they would speed up - I hate this waiting.....
Original post by L'Evil Fish

How do you know if you should have an oral remark? Must be difficult to objectively decide

Your school will probably still have a copy of the recording and should be able to give you an opinion on the fairness of the marking.
Original post by Compost
Your school will probably still have a copy of the recording and should be able to give you an opinion on the fairness of the marking.

I don't think they can keep a copy...? I know my one was conducted by an examiner so she had the recording. Can probably request one back though.
I don't think they can keep a copy...? I know my one was conducted by an examiner so she had the recording. Can probably request one back though.

If the oral was not conducted by a teacher then they may not - I presume that the visiting examiner takes the recordings away with her but I may be wrong so it's worth checking. For ones done by the centre, it would be a rash exam officer who posted a set of recordings or uploaded them onto a website without keeping a back up and they will almost certainly still have them - ours get slung in the safe in case they're needed and then forgotten about.

If you request a copy of the recording now then (as it's too late for priority scripts) I imagine it won't come back until after the re-mark deadline.
I'm getting my Edexcel biology AS coursework remarked. I got 44/60 and asked for a photocopy and there's several sections where i don't understand why i lost marks. Hopefully it won't go down :s-smilie:
Reply 112
The beauty of maths is that it's rare to get under marked
Original post by Compost
If the oral was not conducted by a teacher then they may not - I presume that the visiting examiner takes the recordings away with her but I may be wrong so it's worth checking. For ones done by the centre, it would be a rash exam officer who posted a set of recordings or uploaded them onto a website without keeping a back up and they will almost certainly still have them - ours get slung in the safe in case they're needed and then forgotten about.

If you request a copy of the recording now then (as it's too late for priority scripts) I imagine it won't come back until after the re-mark deadline.

Oh I don't need it, got 80/80 in my oral :woo:

just was wondering

well i was only 3 marks off getting an A* and all of my year got a B in their oral or lower which seemed a bit odd - i also took an A2 mock when i was in AS and i got an A in the oral , so a year later i should have got an A at least or higher... both my teachers encouraged it :smile:

idk , i thought i may as well as if i manage the A*, it'd be my third and i'd then receive a scholarship for a thousand pounds from my uni :smile:
Original post by hotliketea
well i was only 3 marks off getting an A* and all of my year got a B in their oral or lower which seemed a bit odd - i also took an A2 mock when i was in AS and i got an A in the oral , so a year later i should have got an A at least or higher... both my teachers encouraged it :smile:

idk , i thought i may as well as if i manage the A*, it'd be my third and i'd then receive a scholarship for a thousand pounds from my uni :smile:

Aaaah I see

Well best of luck with it all :biggrin:
I had 235/300 for Biology AS level - Aqa
Remarked BIOL1 and BIO3X
Biol1 went up by 1 mark (A)
Bio3x stayed put (C)

Remarking BIOL2 now - all I need is one mark

If I get the 1 mark I can apply to B'ham for medicine ... If not ... Then ...then I don't apply there
Sent off my media paper to be remarked (MS1 WJEC). I'm 4 UMS off an A in that exam but overall I'm just 1 UMS off so all I need is just that one..... extra..... mark......
I'm really hoping the senior examiner is a massive comic book nerd and looks on my third question favourably.
LONG POST, SO BRACE YOURSELVES...

I really feel as if AQA have done one on me.
Im talking about the AQA Sociology Unit 1 and 2 exam that everyone sat on the 15th and 21st May 2014.

For my AS results I got ABBD - A in Media, B in English, B in RS and D in Sociology. The peculiar thing is the sociology papers were by far my best exams. I actually messed up on the RS Ethics paper (OCR) as I completely misread the question, and I was expecting the worst for that. But somehow God gifted me an A on that paper. But honestly Sociology was my best exam.

I don't even believe its one of those ones where you think you did really well in an exam but actually done badly, because for the family and households paper for instance... I done past papers the day before which I completed and got an A on as per the mark scheme, and those exact same 25 marker questions came up to which I gave the same, if not better answers.

On the actual paper though it says I got 24 marks which is like saying I just about done one question correctly. I genuinely havent been able to sleep since getting the result as it has really left me dumbfounded.

Ive been going through what it could be in my head... maybe i missed a question etc but i am adamant that I checked all the clerical details properly.
My college have told me its £60 for a remark and they will proccess the remark when we start back... and im definetly going to get it remarked out but im very worried in the back of my mind that it may come back the same for some reason?

I got a U in the family and households paper, and a C in the education paper which averages it out to a D. The C i can understand even if that may perhaps be incorrect as the 'Science' element of research methods was difficult for me in that paper but the U i cannot at all understand.

It says on the AQA website that the date for a 'priority remark' has passed, so what does this mean? and also could I at the same time of requesting a remark, request my script back so if their first mark is correct... I could simply learn from my mistakes and do a resit?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, IM CRYING INSIDE!
Original post by shaf6565
LONG POST, SO BRACE YOURSELVES...resit?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, IM CRYING INSIDE!

The AQA fee for a unit remark is £38.10 and to get a copy of your marked paper is £12.60
You can request both, the deadline is 20th September, the remark fee will be refunded if your overall qualification grade goes up. Priority remarks are supposed to be done quickly for those people who are trying to get to university over the next few weeks.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/post-results/fees-and-payments

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest