The Student Room Group

College better than school ?

Guys i start my college this September and i wanted to know is college any better than school ??? Also how is A-level Photography if any one has done it ???

Scroll to see replies

I can't help with the photography thing but I can say that in my opinion college is a million times better than school :smile: it depends how much you liked school though :tongue:
College is way better in my opinion, a lot of the immature kids are weeded out (not all of them unfortunately)
Reply 3
Hey I'm starting on the 4th! Anyone who took all the sciences and maths have any advice?
In regards to A-Level photography, look at this conversation between myself and another person who took it. Take it as you will, but it's first hand experience. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2833109&p=49929211#post49929211

College is as well as you want it to be. If you put in the work and have passion for your chosen subject, you'll enjoy it! Hope this helps.
Original post by MALL COP
College is way better in my opinion, a lot of the immature kids are weeded out (not all of them unfortunately)

I can say the exact same thing about school.
Original post by *Xena*
Hey I'm starting on the 4th! Anyone who took all the sciences and maths have any advice?

Do Past Papers. :yes:
My biggest mistake in my life was choosing college over sixthform.

something to consider.. :s-smilie:

You can always go to college next year - you only get the chance to go to sixthform once.
Reply 8
Original post by PythianLegume
Do Past Papers. :yes:

:biggrin: OKAY! Where can I find them? :confused:
Original post by *Xena*
:biggrin: OKAY! Where can I find them? :confused:

On exam board websites, or your school/college may have them on their databases.
Reply 10
Theres always gonna be really good colleges and crappy colleges and likewise sixth forms. So best to assess your college individually compared to your alternatives.

Bhat you can say about colleges is that you won't see many little kids scrambling about in the corridor, thinking they're better than you :wink:
I went to college to do my a levels and dropped out after two months. Went back to school the next year.
Original post by Protagoras
My biggest mistake in my life was choosing college over sixthform.

something to consider.. :s-smilie:

You can always go to college next year - you only get the chance to go to sixthform once.

Can I ask why you thought it was a mistake picking college over sixthform? :smile:
I thought college would be better for me but I felt really alone and found it hard to make friends as all my friends were at sixth form.

I found this affected my learning and I have always felt I should have gone to sixthform as I believe being in surroundings that I am already comfortable with and around people that I already know would have been more supportive and better for me.

I don't think I would have this problem now as I have done university and so older but at the time I was 16 and just found it hard to cope with.

Plus I was more academic (interested in political science etc.) and college was full of hairdressers and beauty therapists flirting with the mechanics with their cars and the whole thing was really chavy and I hated it..
College was the best two year of my life :h:
Original post by Nangnang
I can't help with the photography thing but I can say that in my opinion college is a million times better than school :smile: it depends how much you liked school though :tongue:

I hated school so much and the uniform... eurgh :rolleyes:
Original post by cassicles
In regards to A-Level photography, look at this conversation between myself and another person who took it. Take it as you will, but it's first hand experience. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2833109&p=49929211#post49929211

College is as well as you want it to be. If you put in the work and have passion for your chosen subject, you'll enjoy it! Hope this helps.

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by MALL COP

Thats true but sad not all of them :frown:
Original post by Protagoras
I thought college would be better for me but I felt really alone and found it hard to make friends as all my friends were at sixth form.

I found this affected my learning and I have always felt I should have gone to sixthform as I believe being in surroundings that I am already comfortable with and around people that I already know would have been more supportive and better for me.

I don't think I would have this problem now as I have done university and so older but at the time I was 16 and just found it hard to cope with.

Plus I was more academic (interested in political science etc.) and college was full of hairdressers and beauty therapists flirting with the mechanics with their cars and the whole thing was really chavy and I hated it..

Whats the difference between college and sixth form ?
Original post by Mobinalimbu
Whats the difference between college and sixth form ?

Sixth form is where you carry on at school, doing your A-levels there. Where I live hardly any schools have sixth forms so virtually everyone goes to college but in some places they're more common. College is when you leave school and go to somewhere that only does further education stuff like A-levels, BTechs, etc. You normally have more freedom in college but this causes some people not to do the work and so if you're not very self motivated sixth form is better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest