The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

4-1 in the 4th, this is epic.

Though injured so i can't be too harsh.. Advantage slightly Federer.
Original post by Rakas21
4-1 in the 4th, this is epic.

Though injured so i can't be too harsh.. Advantage slightly Federer.

Are you talking about the Murray match? If so why would that benefit Federer?
Original post by lizzy95
Are you talking about the Murray match? If so why would that benefit Federer?

Who is Federer's secondary threat in the final..
Original post by Rakas21

Wawrinka...
Original post by Rakas21

I would have thought that Murray remaining in the draw long enough to reach Djokovic would be a positive for Federer, as that would make Djokovic's path to the final more difficult.
Original post by lizzy95
Wawrinka...

Well i was going to say Murray. But yeah..

He survives anyway.
Original post by Rakas21

Murray hasn't got a hope in hell of making it to the final the way he's playing and if he somehow did they may as well both save some energy and hand Federer the title
The little lad Goffin is through to the third round having lost just 13 games in the previous two matches. Who knows, if he can manage to slay the young pretender Dimitrov in the third round then he may be able to meet his idol once again in the QFs...

image12563.jpg

174.jpg

In other news, Thiem came from two sets down to defeat an injured Gulbis (4-6,3-6,6-4,6-3,6-3) and Berdych has just been taken to a fifth set by Klizan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Raonic's serves on this court look amazing.

Looks like some fantastic R4 matches to come..

Nikishori vs Raonic
Murray vs Tsonga
Kyrigos vs Warwinka

The winner of Dimitrov vs Federer in the QF's has a fantastic chance of making the final (though i expect a straight set win from Fed).

From R4 onward Murray will be fighting.
Murray prolonging his matches for no reason at all.
Original post by Skkc16
Murray prolonging his matches for no reason at all.

He's not playing well enough through an entire match. Still has not found his top level, and if he makes it through to the quarters to face Djokovic it could well end quikly.
However, I do think Murray will get back to the top of the game in 2015. Like Federer last year, he'll need to really work hard on his physical (and mental) game during the off-season. Hopefully he and Amelie know what they're doing and can turn this around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Djokovic looking good so far, if he makes it past Kohlschreiber/ Isner a likely match against Tsonga or Murray would be interesting. All in all not many shocks with the men against the numerous shocks on the women's side
Original post by Krish4791
He's not playing well enough through an entire match. Still has not found his top level, and if he makes it through to the quarters to face Djokovic it could well end quikly.
However, I do think Murray will get back to the top of the game in 2015. Like Federer last year, he'll need to really work hard on his physical (and mental) game during the off-season. Hopefully he and Amelie know what they're doing and can turn this around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup all true. I feel it's more mental though, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets past Tsonga and everything starts clicking again, he just needs to have that self belief again and a win against Tsonga could provide him with that. I'd still imagine he'll get beaten by Nole but he'd put up more of a fight

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually love Kyrgios. It's amazing how far he's come in the space of 3 months from playing on the Challenger tour and now beating most top 50 guys in Grand Slams and making it to the 2nd week (not this time). I like that he's not just a servebot and actually has a good variety to his game and is entertaining. Hope he keeps on improving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Skkc16
I actually love Kyrgios. It's amazing how far he's come in the space of 3 months from playing on the Challenger tour and now beating most top 50 guys in Grand Slams and making it to the 2nd week (not this time). I like that he's not just a servebot and actually has a good variety to his game and is entertaining. Hope he keeps on improving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's not bad but I'm cautious after the Tomic affair.
Yikes -- Ferrer is looking vulnerable against Simon. Not good as we need him to take out Berd**** in the QFs.
Original post by Ashnard
Yikes -- Ferrer is looking vulnerable against Simon. Not good as we need him to take out Berd**** in the QFs.

You shouldn't be putting your hopes on Ferrer of all people if you're a Fed fan pin your hopes on him, if he can't take out Berdych given his form this season then he'd have no hope against Djokovic/Wawrinka in any potential final
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lizzy95
You shouldn't be putting your hopes on Ferrer of all people if you're a Fed fan pin your hopes on him, if he can't take out Berdych given his form this season then he'd have no hope against Djokovic/Wawrinka in any potential final

Should he meet Djokovic or Wawrinka in the final then the probability of his victory in that match will be determined somewhat by the amount of time and energy that he has had to expend in the previous six matches. This is the case for everybody, but especially so for Federer given that he is 33 years old and that in the past two years he has struggled to recover sufficiently between matches in the latter stages of the majors. I am not depending on Ferrer to defeat Berdych as it were but I am simply acknowledging that Federer would probably have to expend more physical and mental energy against Berdych than he would against Ferrer, with ramifications for the final.

I also wouldn't put too much stuck on Berd****'s "form this season" -- him being in Federer's half seems to galvanise him considerably and when he plays Federer in the big matches he usually plays well above his base level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard
Should he meet Djokovic or Wawrinka in the final then the probability of his victory in that match will be determined somewhat by the amount of time and energy that he has had to expend in the previous six matches. This is the case for everybody, but especially so for Federer given that he is 33 years old and that in the past two years he has struggled to recover sufficiently between matches in the latter stages of the majors. I am not depending on Ferrer to defeat Berdych as it were but I am simply acknowledging that Federer would probably have to expend more physical and mental energy against Berdych than he would against Ferrer, with ramifications for the final.

I also wouldn't put too much stuck on Berd****'s "form this season" -- him being in Federer's half seems to galvanise him considerably and when he plays Federer in the big matches he usually plays well above his base level.

Fair enough but if Federer doesn't reach the final with the draw he has then that's a wasted opportunity to say the least. Ferrer definitely going backwards this season though...
Original post by lizzy95
Fair enough but if Federer doesn't reach the final with the draw he has then that's a wasted opportunity to say the least. Ferrer definitely going backwards this season though...

Yeah I agree -- this is the second time in a row now that the stars have aligned for him so if he doesn't get it this time I think there's little hope for #18 in the future. I'm less optimistic now than I was when the draw came out, mainly because everybody else seems to have gotten their act together now and that he looked unconvincing against Groth. I hope I'm wrong though.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest