The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Panicking!!!

My firm was UCL for English Lit and my offer was A*AA but I ended up getting A*A*B and didn't get in so now I'm going to my insurance - Newcastle (my offer was AAA and they let me in). I'm freaking out!

I know Newcastle is a good university with a good position in the league tables and is perfectly respectable in every way but it just doesn't seem like it... There seems to be a massive 'lad culture' that I'm just not used to at all and don't like; there seems to be a massive drinking/ clubbing atmosphere among the students which I don't like; the students all seem really sociable and out going and up for getting "pissed" all the time - this just isn't me. I'm more of a debate about the merits of Elizabethan poetry over wine type of guy. Newcastle seems like a top university but it just doesn't feel like one with the atmosphere - I'm really, really, really nervous about it all because I thought I had gotten into UCL.

Also, I'll admit that I'm not fantastic at understanding a lot of Northern accents which I think might be a little bit of a problem. Oh and is it just me or is there a LOT of Asian people there? Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, just took me by surprise a little.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by literatureguy111
My firm was UCL for English Lit and my offer was A*AA but I ended up getting A*A*B and didn't get in so now I'm going to my insurance - Newcastle (my offer was AAA and they let me in). I'm freaking out!

I know Newcastle is a good university with a good position in the league tables and is perfectly respectable in every way but it just doesn't seem like it... There seems to be a massive 'lad culture' that I'm just not used to at all and don't like; there seems to be a massive drinking/ clubbing atmosphere among the students which I don't like; the students all seem really sociable and out going and up for getting "pissed" all the time - this just isn't me. I'm more of a debate about the merits of Elizabethan poetry over wine type of guy. Newcastle seems like a top university but it just doesn't feel like one with the atmosphere - I'm really, really, really nervous about it all because I thought I had gotten into UCL.

Also, I'll admit that I'm not fantastic at understanding a lot of Northern accents which I think might be a little bit of a problem. Oh and is it just me or is there a LOT of Asian people there? Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, just took me by surprise a little.

Well done on your amazing grades! :biggrin:

There's more to Newcastle than the clubs and the drinking! I don't drink at all and I've managed to make amazing friends and have a really good time here in my first year. Even during freshers week, there's lots of daytime activities for you to enjoy that aren't all about going out and getting 'mortal' [ http://nusufreshers.co.uk/category/daytime/ ]

There is an English society: (http://www.nusu.co.uk/activities/societies/society/6849/), so you might be able to find people who also enjoy Elizabethan poetry there. [You can find a full list of societies here: "]http://www.nusu.co.uk/activities/societies/a-z/ ]

You might have a bit of trouble in the city understanding people, but in the university itself people come from all over the country (and the world) so it won't all be northern accents. If you have difficulty understanding someone, don't be afraid to ask them to repeat themselves.

Newcastle has a large China town (apparently one of only 5 in the country) which might explain your surprise.

Are you able to come up and visit Newcastle before you start? Have a look around and see if you think you will enjoy your time here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

I've not started there yet, but university in general proliferates the image of the drinking/lad culture. There is a lot more to university though and, though there can be a lot of drinking, (most) people are there to study and because they are bright. You'll find plenty of people to have intellectual discussions with.
Reply 3

Google 'Lit and Phil Newcastle'. There is plenty for you to do up here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go with an open mind. Embrace new things whilst enjoying what you know you already like. You'll love it regardless and we aren't that hard to understand! :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
hey if it helps I'm not one to go out that much and I'm hoping of joining a few writing groups after getting a thing or two published this year, we're not all party goers!
Reply 6
I'm going to newcastle and I don't drink at all! Hopefully though I've heard it is more than easy to still have a good time. Thanks to one facebook status we actually managed to get together a little group of us who are planning on doing the alternative night activities during freshers week. So you're not alone :smile: im doing history by the way, but I do love literature too!!
Original post by alysha29
I'm going to newcastle and I don't drink at all! Hopefully though I've heard it is more than easy to still have a good time. Thanks to one facebook status we actually managed to get together a little group of us who are planning on doing the alternative night activities during freshers week. So you're not alone :smile: im doing history by the way, but I do love literature too!!

is there a link to the alternative activities? I'd love to go to them instead of being dragged to the drinking things every night!
Reply 8
Original post by dezza156
is there a link to the alternative activities? I'd love to go to them instead of being dragged to the drinking things every night!

Hey, I haven't managed to find an exhaustive list as of yet but you've probably already checked
http://nusufreshers.co.uk/ for what they've released at the minute. So there's movie and nandos for the first night, there's also stuff like pub quiz and some sort of "creepy" nightwalk. Apparently there's loads more like theatre etc that are still to be announced.
do you guys want to make a chat on fb to arrange stuff? my friend and I are currently the only people we know not wanting to go get wasted every night :L
Reply 10
hi I'm doing history and archaeology at Newcastle I'm not that much of a partier and am staying at Henderson Hall. Is anyone near me?
Reply 11
do you guys want to make a chat on fb to arrange stuff? my friend and I are currently the only people we know not wanting to go get wasted every night :L

I would be up for this! I'm staying at Liberty plaza, where are you staying?
Original post by BethV57
I would be up for this! I'm staying at Liberty plaza, where are you staying?

I'm at Bowsden Court :smile: I think it'd be easier for us to know who isn't up for all the partying in the first week so we're not left wondering about!
Reply 13
I'm at Bowsden Court :smile: I think it'd be easier for us to know who isn't up for all the partying in the first week so we're not left wondering about!

Yes definitely! What is your name?

I'm from Newcastle, and from what i've seen there is a lot of Asian people studying at the university :smile: Also a persons accent depends on what part of the area a person comes from, I don't think my accent is that strong compared to some peoples! I think Newcastle has more of a party/clubbing rep than there actually is imo.
[deleted]
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Derianna Thomas :smile:

My name is Beth Vernazza :smile: Are you buying the freshers wrist band?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BethV57
My name is Beth Vernazza :smile: Are you buying the freshers wrist band?

cool :smile: no I don't think so, I think £60 is a bit much since I'd only go to a few of the activities! you?
Reply 18
cool :smile: no I don't think so, I think £60 is a bit much since I'd only go to a few of the activities! you?

I'm really not sure! It's a lot of money if I don't go to loads of events but I don't want to miss out if people on my course or in my flat have them! I'm in a dilemma!
Original post by BethV57
I'm really not sure! It's a lot of money if I don't go to loads of events but I don't want to miss out if people on my course or in my flat have them! I'm in a dilemma!

The girls in my flat I think are planning to go out every night as far as I know, but I'm really not up for that! I think we'll have loads of time to see our flat mates over the year, I kinda want to use freshers week to get to know others who won't be partying so much! I'm just hoping there's others who don't get the wristband 'cause I read that you can't go to the student union events without it :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending