The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for Medicine at Oxbridge?

So I got the following grades for my GCSEs this summer and I was slightly disappointed even though they are considered pretty good. I was just wondering if they are good enough to study Medicine at Oxbridge?

Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
Physics - A
Maths - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
R.E - A*
French - B
ICT - B
Business - A
Sociology - A*
History - A*

I was really disappointed with the Physics as I am going to do it at A-level and I really wanted an A*.
(edited 9 years ago)
You have 9A*s 1A and 2Bs... How can you be disappointed?! These are great and Medicine is 100% realistic.
Reply 2
Original post by Treestumps
So I got the following grades for my GCSEs this summer and I was slightly disappointed even though they are considered pretty good. I was just wondering if they are good enough to study Medicine at Oxbridge?

Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
Physics - A
Maths - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
R.E - A*
French - B
ICT - B
Business - A*
Sociology - A*
History - A*

I was really disappointed with the Physics as I am going to do it at A-level and I really wanted an A*.

Haha "really disappointed" good one!
Reply 3
Original post by JayJay-C19
You have 9A*s 1A and 2Bs... How can you be disappointed?! These are great and Medicine is 100% realistic.

Actually I only got 8 A*s. I got an A in Business.
Reply 4
No. If you get any Bs it is an automatic rejection for medicine, sorry.

I'm kidding, of course your grades are good enough.
Actually I only got 8 A*s. I got an A in Business.

Still... They are excellent.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 6
Thanks a lot! I needed to hear that from someone : ) My parents had REALLY high expectations and so when I got slightly less than what they expected they were a little upset and I felt really bad.
Reply 7
no, your grades are sub-par and you have no hope of oxford, let alone uni...

OF COURSE YOU CAN DO MED AT OXBRIDGE! its all a matter of your A levels from here on :smile:

Thanks a lot! I needed to hear that from someone : ) My parents had REALLY high expectations and so when I got slightly less than what they expected they were a little upset and I felt really bad.

Actually the link you posted shows that OP has a fairly low chance of getting an offer for Oxford Medicine - few people get an offer with 8 A*, and even fewer get in with 60-69% A*s as he has.

However, your GCSEs are perfectly suitable for Medicine at Cambridge. They tend to weigh UMS more than Oxford do, so aim for 90%+ - ideally 95%+ - in your AS, and you'll be in a solid position to apply.
x

Original post by ClickItBack
Actually the link you posted shows that OP has a fairly low chance of getting an offer for Oxford Medicine - few people get an offer with 8 A*, and even fewer get in with 60-69% A*s as he has.

However, your GCSEs are perfectly suitable for Medicine at Cambridge. They tend to weigh UMS more than Oxford do, so aim for 90%+ - ideally 95%+ - in your AS, and you'll be in a solid position to apply.

I just want to agree with what ClickItBack says - your grades are a bit lower than the norm for Oxford Medicine (look yourself at the graphs on the page linked above), but you certainly could have a good try at Cambridge if you do well in your AS levels.

Those are really good GCSEs and you can apply to pretty much any course at any uni in the country. The one exception is, unfortunately, medicine at Oxford.

Have you not read your own source? That site clearly shows chances would be small.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Those are really good GCSEs and you can apply to pretty much any course at any uni in the country. The one exception is, unfortunately, medicine at Oxford.

Have you not read your own source? That site clearly shows chances would be small.

Yes thanks. I wasn't saying it was high or low - the chance is still there. The point I was making was that there was a chance and its not impossible.

Cambridge may be better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending