The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Our squad is so much deeper now. It's really great. Today was the first time I looked at our bench in years and thought every single player could come on and make a positive impact.

Even Kolo? :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aston Villa (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Everton (Home)
WBA (Home)
QPR (Away)
Hull (home)

18 points.
Original post by Strange Fruittt
Aston Villa (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Everton (Home)
WBA (Home)
QPR (Away)
Hull (home)

18 points.

i would be disappointed with anything less than 15 points there.

villa have been excellent, but haven't been tested - glad that game is at anfield.
west ham away could be challenging depending on which west ham show up - sometimes they can be dire.
everton quality wise are no match for us, however with it being a derby they could cause problems.
west brom are just generally meh - should be the easiest match of all 6, especially with it being at anfield.
QPR are the same as west brom - not premier league level for me, although away to a promoted side....
hull is a weird one - we lost to them away last season, but we won comfortably at anfield, so i expect a repeat.

there we go, my expert assessment of our next 6 matches.
if you're still reading at this point, i commend you.
Aston Villa (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Everton (Home)
WBA (Home)
QPR (Away)
Hull (home)

18 points.

Never underestimate Liverpool's ability to lose an easy game.
Original post by tomtjl
Never underestimate Liverpool's ability to lose an easy game.

Tbh that is just a cliche that fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, all say 'we'll probs beat City but mess up Soton' etc, it's just boring and overused.

Rodgers has built a team that takes apart the bottom half teams for fun.
Reply 1425

What even is Suso's role in the squad? Young talent (in which case he's not young enough anymore)? He doesn't have the end product or pace in him to play out wide, our options at number 10 are infinitely better than him, and Suso has a long, long way to go before he can play a deeper role for us, I reckon.

I really hate to say it but I agree with this. He barely played during preseason and hasn't even made the bench for the first 3 games of the season despite us being without Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli for the 2 of them. He simply isn't going to get any game time, and needs to prove himself on loan at a better club than Almeria before he's got a chance of breaking through here.

When he first broke into the team, I rated him extremely highly... higher than Sterling. But he only got into the team because our other options were **** (we were playing Enrique at left wing for ****s sake), we're only a completely different level now and he simply isn't good enough at the moment.

As I say, he needs to go on loan at a half-decent club, and probably needs to reinvent himself as a centre mid like Coutinho has done (mainly because of the reasons you listed; just like Coutinho, he isn't suited to playing on the wing in the way we like to play. Also I still believe BR prefers playing the 4-3-3 without any number 10).

It's a bit worrying that there has been a lack of movement with him going out on loan. There's links to AC Milan which would be good, the only hitch is that they want it with an option to sign him permanently. Ultimately, I would be sad to see him go and would prefer it without the option to buy, but I wouldn't be gutted if he did leave.

Edit: Suso apparently says he wants to stay but his contract is up in December, so he needs to sign a new one before he can go out on loan. Hurry up guys, we got 24 hours here to get him a new contract then send him out on loan. What is his agent playing at? https://www.clubcall.com/liverpool/suso-hopes-to-stay-1738519.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Tbh that is just a cliche that fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, all say 'we'll probs beat City but mess up Soton' etc, it's just boring and overused.

Rodgers has built a team that takes apart the bottom half teams for fun.

It's a cliché for a reason. It wasn't as prevalent last season, but it easily happen this season.

"takes apart bottom half teams for fun" Not so sure about this. In our first 3 games this season we've yet to actually play well. We weren't great against Southampton but managed to get the result, we weren't great against City and we were only playing half pace today against Spurs. It'd be easy enough for us to slip up in the next 6 fixtures, especially with a derby coming up.

That said, I would definitely expect 6 wins out of 6 from these fixtures. We just need to not get too cocky and mess it up :wink:.
Original post by Lúcio

villa have been excellent, but haven't been tested - glad that game is at anfield.
west ham away could be challenging depending on which west ham show up - sometimes they can be dire.
everton quality wise are no match for us, however with it being a derby they could cause problems.
west brom are just generally meh - should be the easiest match of all 6, especially with it being at anfield.
QPR are the same as west brom - not premier league level for me, although away to a promoted side....
hull is a weird one - we lost to them away last season, but we won comfortably at anfield, so i expect a repeat.

tl;dr

apart from Everton. There's not that much between you
Original post by manchesterunited15
tl;dr

apart from Everton. There's not that much between you

clearly did read, strong response.

there's not much between us and everton?:lolwut:
are you serious?
Original post by Lúcio
clearly did read, strong response.

there's not much between us and everton?:lolwut:
are you serious?

Didn't, just skimmed to find the Everton one as I expected to read some bull

You're better of course but "no match"? Luke pls
under Rodgers #LFC have kept 9 clean sheets in the 15 EPL matches that Martin Skrtel has not started. Includes the last FIVE in a row
Reply 1431
under Rodgers #LFC have kept 9 clean sheets in the 15 EPL matches that Martin Skrtel has not started. Includes the last FIVE in a row

#Kolo

underrated
Didn't, just skimmed to find the Everton one as I expected to read some bull

You're better of course but "no match"? Luke pls

lmao, you know me too well :colone:

no match was a little obnoxious i agree, but if it wasn't a derby match we'd roll them over without much hassle.
i would say we're better in every single position except for goalkeeper.

meh, i'd call that coincidence tbh.
there's no way skrtel would've been any worse than sakho was today (he wasn't terrible but he wasn't anywhere near good).
Original post by Lúcio
lmao, you know me too well :colone:

no match was a little obnoxious i agree, but if it wasn't a derby match we'd roll them over without much hassle.
i would say we're better in every single position except for goalkeeper.

Baines > Moreno
Coleman > Manquillo
Their CBs > Yours

das it
Baines > Moreno
Coleman > Manquillo
Their CBs > Yours

das it

my FF begs to differ; baines has been so disappointing :frown:
their CBs aren't better than ours - lovren is definitely better, skrtel if he's having a decent match.
fair enough, forgot about coleman.

we won't have trouble scoring against them though; just keeping that pesky little naismith at bay...
Reply 1435
Original post by Lúcio
my FF begs to differ; baines has been so disappointing :frown:
their CBs aren't better than ours - lovren is definitely better, skrtel if he's having a decent match.
fair enough, forgot about coleman.

we won't have trouble scoring against them though; just keeping that pesky little naismith at bay...

what...? I don't think I've ever seen somebody use Fantasy Football to back up a point.

Baines is probably the best LB in the league. One bad game against Chelsea where the whole defence fell apart doesn't change that.
Original post by cBay

what...? I don't think I've ever seen somebody use Fantasy Football to back up a point.

Baines is probably the best LB in the league. One bad game against Chelsea where the whole defence fell apart doesn't change that.

it was a joke, don't have a hissy fit man!
i have him on my FF - i was convinced he'd be amazing but he's done nothing; still a little bitter :/

our CBs are better, their fullbacks are better (for now).
but let's not get away from the point
as i was saying, we clearly have a superior team to everton, but with it being a derby match i'll still be nervous
Reply 1437
Original post by Lúcio
it was a joke, don't have a hissy fit man!
i have him on my FF - i was convinced he'd be amazing but he's done nothing; still a little bitter :/

our CBs are better, their fullbacks are better (for now).
but let's not get away from the point
as i was saying, we clearly have a superior team to everton, but with it being a derby match i'll still be nervous

I honestly don't think it being a derby makes much difference. There will be more cards but apart from that both teams will be putting in 'that bit extra' so it kinda cancels itself out and doesn't really have an effect on the result. The fact is Everton finished 5th last season and they will likely put up a good fight against us regardless of whether it is a derby or not. Yes we're the better team and I expect a win, but football isn't as simple as that.
Original post by cBay
I honestly don't think it being a derby makes much difference. There will be more cards but apart from that both teams will be putting in 'that bit extra' so it kinda cancels itself out and doesn't really have an effect on the result. The fact is Everton finished 5th last season and they will likely put up a good fight against us regardless of whether it is a derby or not. Yes we're the better team and I expect a win, but football isn't as simple as that.

i agree, but then look at the 3-3 draw last season?!

i "expect" a win in all 19 home games we have.
i "expect" a win in 16 away games (exc. city, chelsea, arsenal).
that's obviously never gonna happen...

let's just hope we win our next 6 games - i "expect" a win in all of those.
Original post by Lúcio

Yesterday Villa pressed high but Hull made them look good. Going forward they are not a bad side but nearly all of their chances came from Hull just giving possession away very poorly. We were far from our best, I think the Europa league game had an impact but I think Liverpool should comfortably beat them because not even Skrtel or Sakho could pass as poorly as we did. The second Villa were put under any pressure they just sat back and didn't look confident. It worked for them because no one in the Hull squad can finish and Huddlestone had the worst game I have ever seen but with players like Sturridge and Sterling attacking them, I expect at least a 3-0 if not more.
For the Hull game, don't worry, we are possibly the worst team in the league away from home. We will just sit back with a solid 5 and try to force Liverpool central (not a bad idea if facing a diamond) but we have no outlet up top to get us out of defence occasionally so the pressure will pile up and eventually Liverpool will get through.
I expect 16 points for Liverpool and any less would be a disappointment.

Quick Reply

Latest