The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ghaasiq
Hey guys! Is there anyone here that's doing the Cambridge International Exams (CIE)? My grades at AS were pretty bad (BBCD), so I've decided to drop the subject I got a D on, and re-take the C and one B, but here's what I want to ask. What Unis would you guys I recommend I apply to, considering my predicted grades are A*BB? The subjects I did are Psychology, Economics, Math, and English language, respectively.

EDIT: In hindsight, I suppose it's worth mentioning that: I do not go to a school. Not because I don't want to, but because there is none available (none that teaches A-levels, anyways), at least not near me. (The closest school is 3 hours away from home)

Hi! Your results are pretty good considering you don't actually go to a school, is there no way you could have an A*AB prediction? That'd open you up to a few more choices

But here's the offers thread from last year http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Offers_2013 so you can see what typical grades each uni wants

If I was you I'd apply to one aab uni 3 abb unis and one bbb uni as a bit of a backup incase results next year don't go quite to plan :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys :smile: I'm planning on applying for economics at Cambridge, UCL, LSE, and Warwick.

Though I would like to apply to all those universities, my grades were pretty poor compared to my expectations. I achieved 5A 1B with an average of 92% across my top 3 (average 89% of top 3 + further maths). The issue, other than my low average, is that I only got a B in economics despite achieving 90%+ in all but one of my school assessments. My economics teacher said he might still predict me an A* (A*A*A*AA prediction altogether).

In maths I achieved 97.3%, and in further maths I achieved 83.3%. I learnt further maths on my own in a month, though.

I've had mixed feedback from Cambridge colleges. Some said that I would get an interview but would statistically be weaker on paper than most applicants, whereas others have encouraged me to apply, acknowledging that perhaps my economics results were an anomaly. What do you guys think?

RESULTS:

MATHS 97.3%
C1: 100/100
C2: 100/100
M1: 92/100
Prediction: A*

F. MATHS 83.3%
FP1: 86/100
D1: 88/100
D2: 76/100
Prediction: A

ECONOMICS 79.5%
UNIT 1: 77/100
UNIT 2: 82/100

PHYSICS 91.3%
UNIT 1: 106/120
UNIT 2: 108/120
UNIT 3: 60/60

GEOGRAPHY 85.5%
UNIT 1: 118/140
UNIT 2: 53/60
Prediction: N/A

JAPANESE 86%
UNIT 1: 86/100
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Renascence
Hey guys :smile: I'm planning on applying for economics at Cambridge, UCL, LSE, and Warwick.

Though I would like to apply to all those universities, my grades were pretty poor compared to my expectations. I achieved 5A 1B with an average of 92% across my top 3 (average 89% of top 3 + further maths). The issue, other than my low average, is that I only got a B in economics despite achieving 90%+ in all but one of my school assessments. My economics teacher said he might still predict me an A* (A*A*A*AA prediction altogether).

In maths I achieved 97.3%, and in further maths I achieved 83.3%. I learnt further maths on my own in a month, though.

I've had mixed feedback from Cambridge colleges. Some said that I would get an interview but would statistically be weaker on paper than most applicants, whereas others have encouraged me to apply, acknowledging that perhaps my economics results were an anomaly. What do you guys think?

RESULTS:

MATHS 97.3%
C1: 100/100
C2: 100/100
M1: 92/100

F. MATHS 83.3%
FP1: 86/100
D1: 88/100
D2: 76/100

ECONOMICS 79.5%
UNIT 1: 77/100
UNIT 2: 82/100

PHYSICS 91.3%
UNIT 1: 106/120
UNIT 2: 108/120
UNIT 3: 60/60

GEOGRAPHY 85.5%
UNIT 1: 118/140
UNIT 2: 53/60
Prediction: N/A

JAPANESE 86%
UNIT 1: 86/100

You average for cambridge will be 89 which is borderline interview/no interview. You're probably best to apply for Oxford if you want a better chance of getting in, since most successful applicants will be in the 93-100 average range.
Reply 243
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Hi! Your results are pretty good considering you don't actually go to a school, is there no way you could have an A*AB prediction? That'd open you up to a few more choices

But here's the offers thread from last year http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Offers_2013 so you can see what typical grades each uni wants

If I was you I'd apply to one aab uni 3 abb unis and one bbb uni as a bit of a backup incase results next year don't go quite to plan :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help :smile:

Is there a way my referee can change the predicted grades once they've been submitted? Also, do you think most Unis will be somewhat lenient on me considering I didn't go to a school for A-levels?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ghaasiq
Thanks for the help :smile:

Is there a way my referee can change the predicted grades once they've been submitted? Also, do you think most Unis will be somewhat lenient on me considering I didn't go to a school for A-levels?

I'd presume so seeing as you haven't submitted your application yet, so maybe you could just do done persuading of your referee? Just out of curiosity who is your referee if you don't go to a school?

Erm I think that might leave you open to some of the contextual offers like when universities have two sets of requirement eg aaa-aab, but I'm not 100% on that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 245
I'd presume so seeing as you haven't submitted your application yet, so maybe you could just do done persuading of your referee? Just out of curiosity who is your referee if you don't go to a school?

Erm I think that might leave you open to some of the contextual offers like when universities have two sets of requirement eg aaa-aab, but I'm not 100% on that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take online tuitions, and one of those tutors is my referee. Unfortunately, the teaching is mediocre at best, and the classes are pretty sporadic and unorganized. I have to do pretty much everything myself. My referee hasn't ever used UCAS before either, so he isn't sure on how to actually change the predicted grades..
Original post by ghaasiq
I take online tuitions, and one of those tutors is my referee. Unfortunately, the teaching is mediocre at best, and the classes are pretty sporadic and unorganized. I have to do pretty much everything myself. My referee hasn't ever used UCAS before either, so he isn't sure on how to actually change the predicted grades..

Oh right hmm I am pretty sure you can change them if you haven't sent the application off yet though so there must be a way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 247
Hi there, ive read a few books, can anyone recommend a good book specifically on the macro side?
Original post by Sim1
Hi there, ive read a few books, can anyone recommend a good book specifically on the macro side?

Hi not sure if these are what you want but this is LSE's preliminary reading list:

A V Banjeree and E Duflo - Poor economics: barefoot hedge-fund managers, diy doctors and the surprising truth about life

T Harford - the undercover economist, and the logic of life

P Keugman - end this depression now

S D Levitt and S J Dubner - freakonomics and super freakonomics

:smile:
Nottingham or Bristol for economics and also employment prospects??
Planning on applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Sheffield. Am undecided about my 5th choice! After reading through the Cambridge applicants thread though, I am a bit disheartened! The average UMS percentages are all crazy!!!!
Original post by Username13
Nottingham or Bristol for economics and also employment prospects??

I think nottingham ranked higher this year for graduate employment but this could all change in a few years, the two courses are similar in standard so I'd go for which ever one you prefer tbh, just my opinion though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oreoenthusiast
Planning on applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Sheffield. Am undecided about my 5th choice! After reading through the Cambridge applicants thread though, I am a bit disheartened! The average UMS percentages are all crazy!!!!

Ah cool! The London unis oooh :biggrin:

Ah I wouldn't worry too much there's more to the application than ums and there's also the context it's in, just out of curiosity what's your average ums?

Have you got any thoughts on your 5th uni yet, like any to pick between? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah cool! The London unis oooh :biggrin:

Ah I wouldn't worry too much there's more to the application than ums and there's also the context it's in, just out of curiosity what's your average ums?

Have you got any thoughts on your 5th uni yet, like any to pick between? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My average is 94, which seems to pale in comparison to all the 95+ floating out there. I seem to be quite an average candidate for Econ at Cambridge. I think I read earlier on in this thread that you want to apply to Cambridge as well? What's your UMS average? :smile:

I'd like my fifth university to be an AAA offer university, that's the only thing I can think of.
(edited 9 years ago)
My average is 94, which seems to pale in comparison to all the 95+ floating out there. I seem to be quite an average candidate for Econ at Cambridge. I think I read earlier on in this thread that you want to apply to Cambridge as well? What's your UMS average? :smile:

I'd like my fifth university to be an AAA offer university, that's the only thing I can think of.

94 is good enough, trust me :smile:
Original post by Mike_123
94 is good enough, trust me :smile:

I sure hope so! Thank you though :tongue:
Reply 256
What are people's thoughts about lancaster uni for economics? I went to look the other day and I really liked it and they do a really good study abroad programme which entry requirements are A*AA. I know it's not the same as bath or nottingham etc and it's not Russell Group group however if I chose to go to Lancaster over Bath for instance would that really affect my future career and opportunities that much? (Don't want to go in to IB so don't think the "target" and "semi target" criteria would apply to me)
Thanks😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I'm only a 93.2 average (still enough for autopool) eng lit pulled mine down a bit, which college are you thinking?

That's the same as what I'm doing, I'm going for leeds as my fifth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I'm only a 93.2 average (still enough for autopool) eng lit pulled mine down a bit, which college are you thinking?

That's the same as what I'm doing, I'm going for leeds as my fifth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, congrats on getting into autopool :wink: Mechanics pulled my down :mad:

Not sure about what college. Maybe Selwyn? What about you? Leeds is a good choice I think :smile:
Ah, congrats on getting into autopool :wink: Mechanics pulled my down :mad:

Not sure about what college. Maybe Selwyn? What about you? Leeds is a good choice I think :smile:

Omg same actually m1 pulled my maths down I got 100 100 97 94 93 and then 80 in m1, it was my last exam though and I'm hoping it looks like an anomoly aha

Ooh I was torn between selwyn and queens, but I think I'm going to go for queens. Yeah I like leeds and plus there are so many places in the degree I'd hope I'd get an offer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending