The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Meeting People Before Starting at UEA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by presidential_
i got the university village :frown:. do you think i'll be allowed to switch to ensuite campus?

You can phone up and ask as they still have some ensuite rooms available but honestly there isn't a massive difference between the two.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by NerdFighteria
Pretty self-explanatory, I looked on the Facebook forum they linked in my acceptance e-mail but it's not particularly active. I also joined a FB group for 2014/2015 newcomers, was just wondering if there was anywhere to just chat to people? It'd be nice to get to know some other freshers before-hand!

Accommodation offers are on the 18th, and then I suppose you can figure out who might be nearby too.

I'm guessing that some of these options might pick up a bit more in a few days?

Hey NerdFighter, are you a fan of John Green? Anyway my name's Swathi and I'm flying 5043 miles to study Biological Sciences at UEA next month :-)
Hey I'm going to UEA and going to be doing psychology. Hoping to talk to a few people beforehand so I'm less nervous. I got an email yesterday saying I'd be told my accommodation today so today I've literally just been refreshing my email to see what I get, so anxious waiting now. Yea the fb group for uea freshers is probably the best bet for meeting people.
Original post by pouchey2
Just accepted my offer for Norfolk Terrace :3 Gonna be studying Environmental Science :3

Hey, fellow env sci here! :biggrin:
Original post by psychgirl14
Hey I'm going to UEA and going to be doing psychology. Hoping to talk to a few people beforehand so I'm less nervous. I got an email yesterday saying I'd be told my accommodation today so today I've literally just been refreshing my email to see what I get, so anxious waiting now. Yea the fb group for uea freshers is probably the best bet for meeting people.

Hey, I'm doing psychology too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Hello! I'm actually a second year but, having transferred from chemistry to natural science I'm doing some first year biology modules this year :smile: As the only person doing this I'd quite like some friends in said modules :P (biodiversity in semester 1, semester 2 is still up in the air with timetabling). So hello! :smile:

So if anyone has any questions about the university, science departments/navigating around them, Norwich itself (as I'm a local student) or chemistry queries feel free to throw messages my way - I don't bite :smile: :smile: (Should also mention I'm co-president of the chemistry society this year (formerly known as Alchemy Society), so any chemists out there will be getting a shoddy presentation filled with errs, ums & ahs from me on the 22nd! Sorry about that! :wink: )
Original post by Jaawsh
I shall be doing the english lit and creative writing!

Sort of butting in, I'm hoping to get onto that course next year. Do you mind me asking your grades and what the writing portfolio experience was like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swathi Kumar
Hey NerdFighter, are you a fan of John Green? Anyway my name's Swathi and I'm flying 5043 miles to study Biological Sciences at UEA next month :-)

Hey, I'm also going to be studying Biological Sciences :biggrin:
Ah cool which accomadation are you in?
Original post by psychgirl14
Ah cool which accomadation are you in?

I'm in constable terrace, you?
Reply 50
Original post by Jaawsh
I shall be doing the english lit and creative writing!

so will I :smile:
Coming from Kent, staying in Paston house.
Original post by Kittiarty
Hey! I'm taking Translation, Media, and Japanese. Can't wait!

Im doing translation, media and Japanese too! literally so nervous
Original post by Sixdegreesofsoph
I'm in constable terrace, you?

In university village :smile:
Gonna be travelling 200 miles to get there, kinda excited kinda nervous aaaaahhh
Original post by DoDoBeDo
Hello! I'm actually a second year but, having transferred from chemistry to natural science I'm doing some first year biology modules this year :smile: As the only person doing this I'd quite like some friends in said modules :P (biodiversity in semester 1, semester 2 is still up in the air with timetabling). So hello! :smile:

So if anyone has any questions about the university, science departments/navigating around them, Norwich itself (as I'm a local student) or chemistry queries feel free to throw messages my way - I don't bite :smile: :smile: (Should also mention I'm co-president of the chemistry society this year (formerly known as Alchemy Society), so any chemists out there will be getting a shoddy presentation filled with errs, ums & ahs from me on the 22nd! Sorry about that! :wink: )

Hi,

I have some questions relating to the chemistry modules; In particular Chem of Carbon Based Compounds, Energetics and Spectroscopy, Practical and Quantitative skills in Chem, and Forensic Chem.

Any insights into the difficultly and/or how enjoyable the modules are? I am torn between forensic chem and biodiversity with evolution behaviour and ecology. Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

A
Reply 55
Original post by Bankaichi
Hi, I have some questions relating to the chemistry modules; In particular Chem of Carbon Based Compounds, Energetics and Spectroscopy, Practical and Quantitative skills in Chem, and Forensic Chem. Any insights into the difficultly and/or how enjoyable the modules are? I am torn between forensic chem and biodiversity with evolution behaviour and ecology. Any advice you have would be much appreciated. A

Hey!
Right - CCC I actually really enjoyed, I prefer organic/inorganic to physical. My least favourite module of year 1 was energetics and spectroscopy, that's primarily because I'm not all that good at remembering equations! If you're mathematically minded and good with equations, you'll like ES.

Practical and Quantitative isn't the lab module I did (I did the "full" chem lab course - CHE-4001Y) but from what I understand, CHE-4601Y was a rounded unit, but there are fewer labs and the lab-lectures are from what I've heard redundant if you have a level maths. If you're doing CCC and ES I would recommend looking at the chem lab a module (4001Y) if it fits with other modules. It will fit with all first year chem modules just so you're aware. 😊

I didn't do forensics but most of my friends did. First semester is chemistry/physics based and second semester is more biochem. There's DNA and the like, prerequisite knowledge of genetics is advantageous!

As a natsci, at least that's what I'm assuming, I would suggest taking at least one or two bio modules to give you options in second year! As a transfer from chem to natsci, I've had to make credits up to attain my minor so am taking first year biodiversity (genetics and biochem clashed with the 2nd year chem modules) and while not my first choice in module, I think it will be interesting. Believe it or not, chem modules are much less strict on entry requirements in 2nd year than bio modules - most second year bio modules require a combination of first year modules (normally the two "pairing" modules of genetics/biochem or biodiversity/evo), whereas second year organic chem requires just 1st year organic (plus a lab module)!

I hope that has helped somewhat! Sorry if it went off on a tangent - if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes that did help a lot thank you.

I also enjoyed studying the organic chemistry so CCC doesn't seem so intimidating now, as for ES - I really appreciate your insight, I don't need it for prerequisites so was undecided about it.

I actually didn't do A level math so will probably stick with Practical and Quantitative. Really looking forward to the Forensic Chemistry modules, it is a shame in year two it clashes with Evolutionary Biology though.

I will probably take a lab based chem module, forensics & CCC and then I think if I were to also take Fundamentals of Cell Bio and Fundamentals of Molecular Bio this provides access to most BIO modules in year two? Then finally Foundations for Chemistry to meet the prerequisite for Human physiology in year two. This would probably provide me with the most options.

Year two I'm thinking:

Biochem
Cell Bio
Mol Bio
Organic Chem or Genetics
Forensic Chem or Evo Bio
Human Physiology, Microbiology, Plant Bio, or Biophysical Chem

The more options the better I think, if you spot any problems please do let me know.

Thanks again.
Reply 57
Biophysical clashes with so many things (eg, you couldn't do plant bio & biophys in second year). Though because of the new lecture buildings timetables are changing slightly over the next couple of years (as I found with a module in CC and DD that clashed!) I've had to pick 1st year biodiversity instead of genetics/biochem - simply because it was a choice between the biology I wanted to do or the chemistry I wanted to do and it seemed silly to throw away my entire "planned path" for 2 modules!

The thing is you can always do 2nd year forensics or evobio in 3rd year! :smile: You can back-track on 40 credits a year so, in second year, you can take a maximum of 2 first year modules and then in 3rd year you can do the same with 2nd year modules :smile:

You would need ES if you wanted to do BioPhys in 2nd year :smile: You need either ES or the more biological based physical chemistry module "Physical and Analytical Methods in the Biomolecular Sciences" (BIO-4007Y) - but to do that module you need to do both Mol Bio/Genetics & Cell Bio/BioChem which I think you said you're doing anyway! :smile:

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer & give as much help as I can! :smile:
Reply 58
Hey,

I realise I'm pretty late to this thread but I haven't been on TSR in months. Anyway, my name is Abi and I'm studying English Literature with Creative Writing. Living in University Village. Be lovely to talk. ^.^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending