The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by alex193
Great, thank you! You'll see me manning the SCRUBS and Wilderness Medicine Society stands at the medics freshers fair, and I'll be doing the photography during the medics cocktail party in Ocean (protip, start thinking of a costume now - the standards are high :biggrin: ) That and generally running around the place and lurking in the dissecting room :tongue:

I already have one, hope it will be fine :tongue:. plus, costumes for the fresher week. And is SCRUBS the surgeon society?
Reply 41
Original post by Ava-
Is a ukcat average of 647.5 completely uncompetitive?
9A*s, 2A's at GCSE, AAAB at AS, haven't received predictions yet.

I love Nottingham, but I detested the UKCAT, and it shows in my score :/

Thanks.

I guess it is :/
Reply 42
Original post by Nottie
I already have one, hope it will be fine :tongue:. plus, costumes for the fresher week. And is SCRUBS the surgeon society?

Yep, SCRUBS is the surgical soc :smile: We run anatomy teaching for the first and second years, skills lessons in the evenings (suturing, laparoscopic surgery skills, tendon repair workshops...), a careers fair, evening talks, loads of things :smile: There's a huge amount of medic-specific societies to join on top of all the uni ones!
Reply 43
Original post by alex193
Yep, SCRUBS is the surgical soc :smile: We run anatomy teaching for the first and second years, skills lessons in the evenings (suturing, laparoscopic surgery skills, tendon repair workshops...), a careers fair, evening talks, loads of things :smile: There's a huge amount of medic-specific societies to join on top of all the uni ones!

I'm considering being a surgeon so I will definitely join it!
Reply 44
Original post by Nottie
I'm considering being a surgeon so I will definitely join it!

Definitely do :smile: As an aside, don't necessarily set your heart on one thing just yet, remember to "shop around" and find something you really enjoy :biggrin: It's at least 7 years till you'll have to choose, and most of my friends have been reconsidering their interests - I was absolutely certain I wanted to go into surgery, but having looked around and experienced some of the other specialties I'm now more interested in the emergency / PHEM / anaesthetics route, and even that may well change again :tongue: Open minds :wink:
Reply 45
Original post by alex193
Definitely do :smile: As an aside, don't necessarily set your heart on one thing just yet, remember to "shop around" and find something you really enjoy :biggrin: It's at least 7 years till you'll have to choose, and most of my friends have been reconsidering their interests - I was absolutely certain I wanted to go into surgery, but having looked around and experienced some of the other specialties I'm now more interested in the emergency / PHEM / anaesthetics route, and even that may well change again :tongue: Open minds :wink:

Hah don't worry I keep my options open! Recently I turned into pathology because I always wanted to work for the police but I'm such a coward. Btw, is there pathology or psychiatry society too? Haven't seen it in the brochure!

Oh and also, do you think dying my hair endings pink/violet is against dress code?
Reply 46
Original post by Nottie
Hah don't worry I keep my options open! Recently I turned into pathology because I always wanted to work for the police but I'm such a coward. Btw, is there pathology or psychiatry society too? Haven't seen it in the brochure!

Oh and also, do you think dying my hair endings pink/violet is against dress code?

There's a psych soc (Mind Matters?) but I don't know how active they are.

Technically yes, it's supposed to be natural colours only, but unless you're on placement nobody cares. If you can disguise it (if you've got long hair put it up in a bun or something since it has to be tied back anyway) then it should be fine. One of my coursemates got told off after a "wash-out" dye job didn't wash out, it was meant to be blue but she's bright blonde and it stained green :colondollar: Rule of thumb is to imagine what little old Doris thinks a doctor should look like and go with that :tongue:
Reply 47
Original post by alex193
There's a psych soc (Mind Matters?) but I don't know how active they are.

Technically yes, it's supposed to be natural colours only, but unless you're on placement nobody cares. If you can disguise it (if you've got long hair put it up in a bun or something since it has to be tied back anyway) then it should be fine. One of my coursemates got told off after a "wash-out" dye job didn't wash out, it was meant to be blue but she's bright blonde and it stained green :colondollar: Rule of thumb is to imagine what little old Doris thinks a doctor should look like and go with that :tongue:

I have short hair :frown:. And anyway it would dye it with a shampoo so it should go off before I arrive to Notts but it may be still visible for the first weeks
Reply 48
Original post by Nottie
I have short hair :frown:. And anyway it would dye it with a shampoo so it should go off before I arrive to Notts but it may be still visible for the first weeks

I'm sure that'd be fine, you don't have anything clinical in the first few weeks anyway :h:
Reply 49
Original post by alex193
I'm sure that'd be fine, you don't have anything clinical in the first few weeks anyway :h:

When does the placement starts?
And also, is it okay to wear miniskirts around the school? Not for placement obviously but on lectures, on library etc.....I really love mini skirts but don't want to abuse the dress code :/
Reply 50
Original post by Nottie
When does the placement starts?
And also, is it okay to wear miniskirts around the school? Not for placement obviously but on lectures, on library etc.....I really love mini skirts but don't want to abuse the dress code :/

Dress code is purely for placements. People wear pretty much anything to lectures, so long as it's not pyjamas or anything, you'll be fine :P Sometimes there's guest lecturers so it's polite to dress at least semi-smartly - a certain chap wore a wedding dress to a lecture a few years ago (long story) and ended up getting told off by the dean...
Reply 51
Hi Guys, I am a reapplicant I got:
GCSE: 5A* 2A 3B
A level: 2A*1A , AS level: 4As
UKCAT: 682.5 SJT-band1

Worth applying ?
Thanks happy to help
Reply 52
Original post by chagsha

Worth applying ?
Thanks happy to help

Hey. It is quite risky with your ukcat score. Last year Nottingham probably (it's just what applicants figured out) rejected those who got ukcat below average.
Original post by alex193
Dress code is purely for placements. People wear pretty much anything to lectures, so long as it's not pyjamas or anything, you'll be fine :P Sometimes there's guest lecturers so it's polite to dress at least semi-smartly - a certain chap wore a wedding dress to a lecture a few years ago (long story) and ended up getting told off by the dean...

Oh thank god! I was really scared I will have to look smartly all the time and I am not quite used to that yet hah. and I guess we know in advantage when we have our placements
Reply 53
Original post by Nottie
Hey. It is quite risky with your ukcat score. Last year Nottingham probably (it's just what applicants figured out) rejected those who got ukcat below average.

Oh thank god! I was really scared I will have to look smartly all the time and I am not quite used to that yet hah. and I guess we know in advantage when we have our placements

Okay thanks! What was the average btw ?
Reply 54
Original post by chagsha

Worth applying ?
Thanks happy to help

UKCAT is a bit low really :frown:

Original post by Nottie

Ahaha no, for lectures anything reasonably decent goes. For dissections I'd recommend some old trousers (spatter risk) and you have to have closed shoes (sharps risk).
Reply 55
Original post by chagsha
Okay thanks! What was the average btw ?

I guess it was 670 or so. But the thing is they rejected those who did below average in any session. So if you got 700 in QR for example but 500 in VR which probably will be below average you are likely to be rejected pre interview. But this is NOT official, only assumptions
Reply 56
Original post by Nottie
I guess it was 670 or so. But the thing is they rejected those who did below average in any session. So if you got 700 in QR for example but 500 in VR which probably will be below average you are likely to be rejected pre interview. But this is NOT official, only assumptions

They've never (to the best of my knowledge) officially said anything about any weighting between sections, or whether they look at section marks vs the overall score.
Reply 57
Original post by alex193
They've never (to the best of my knowledge) officially said anything about any weighting between sections, or whether they look at section marks vs the overall score.

Ofc they didn't. But last year when we tried to figure out the pattern why some people with ukcat 730 are rejected while those with 700 invited to interview. Turned out that many applicant did badly in one or more sections so we thought that may be the reason
Reply 58
Original post by Nottie
Ofc they didn't. But last year when we tried to figure out the pattern why some people with ukcat 730 are rejected while those with 700 invited to interview. Turned out that many applicant did badly in one or more sections so we thought that may be the reason

Could also have been the other 52% of the pre-interview score :wink: It'll be interesting to see what happens this year, it astonishes me that they're putting so much weight on the UKCAT!
Reply 59
Original post by Bashur
Hey, I'm back.

So I got 687.5 band 1 on my ukcat. That's alongside 12A*s at gcse and AAAB at AS. Is it wise for me to apply, and if I do will I have a chance?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's rather at the lower end with which I'd feel comfortable applying. You've made the grade requirements but since they're prioritising the UKCAT so much this year you could be at a significant disadvantage. If you're happy to have a "risky" application then go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained, but be prepared to perhaps lose out :frown: Bear in mind that this years UKCAT scores do seem to be running a little bit lower than last year which could work in your advantage! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest