The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Woaaaah, really?

What you redoing?

I was going to take a gap year anyway, I was ill the whole of last year so kind of messed things up a bit :tongue: Redoing G485, D2, M2, FP2 probably :smile:
Original post by Georgiecat
Chemistry at Manchester, UCL and then some combination of Sheffield, York, Durham, Birmingham, York, Nottingham, Bristol, Southampton and Oxford.

That's a lot of options! Have you been to any open days? If so, which ones were your favourites?
Original post by PapaTotoro
Amen to that! Wow your music game is on point! Do you need to be a certain grade on each instrument to study music at un?

Thanks, I like to keep myself busy! :biggrin:
Well, at Manchester (my 1 st choice really) I needed grade 8 distinction on my first study ( piano) which I thankfully have! I think Durham also asks for it, I can't remember of the top of my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cammybl
It's ok! I think we're all out sync from the holidays ( god help us on Wednesday xD). I play jazz piano, 'classical' piano, trumpet and I do a bit of composition as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:O same here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cammybl
Well, at Manchester (my 1 st choice really) I needed grade 8 distinction on my first study ( piano) which I thankfully have! I think Durham also asks for it, I can't remember of the top of my head.

Grade 8?! That's excellent! What other grades do you need to get into Uni for music?
Chemistry at Manchester, UCL and then some combination of Sheffield, York, Durham, Birmingham, York, Nottingham, Bristol, Southampton and Oxford.

Ooooooh :wink: you decided which to drop? Oxford/Bristol need Maths A2, Nottingham I think as well...

Bristol is top though :wink: js

Original post by furryface12
I was going to take a gap year anyway, I was ill the whole of last year so kind of messed things up a bit :tongue: Redoing G485, D2, M2, FP2 probably :smile:

We'll both be doing G485 then :tongue:

You applying for physics? Or music?
That's a lot of options! Have you been to any open days? If so, which ones were your favourites?

I went to the Imperial and Cambridge open days, and I'm going to go to the Sheffield one, but I can't apply to Cambridge NatSci because my grades are too low. The Imperial open day did rule out Imperial for me though - it seemed really focused on postgrads, not so much on undergrads, and though I'm sure it's a great uni, it just didn't feel like the place for me.

Ooooooh :wink: you decided which to drop? Oxford/Bristol need Maths A2, Nottingham I think as well...

With a heavy heart, I'm dropping geog. I think maths is just too important for chemistry for me to not take it to A2. But I'm still half-considering a geography degree, so that decision mightn't last.
Bristol does seem really good! I don't know if I'm applying to Oxford (the fact that tutorials and lectures aren't synced worried me), not too sure about Nottingham. Where are you thinking of?

With a heavy heart, I'm dropping geog. I think maths is just too important for chemistry for me to not take it to A2. But I'm still half-considering a geography degree, so that decision mightn't last.
Bristol does seem really good! I don't know if I'm applying to Oxford (the fact that tutorials and lectures aren't synced worried me), not too sure about Nottingham. Where are you thinking of?

What do you mean by synced? It's a shame you can't keep all 4 :frown:

But geography is probably the best decision.

Nottingham... realistically I only want Cambridge/Bath/Bristol. So probably won't

I'm thinking of ^ and Warwick too
Grade 8?! That's excellent! What other grades do you need to get into Uni for music?

AAB for the lot which is definitely doable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLHroolz

Wow! What subject are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll both be doing G485 then :tongue:

You applying for physics? Or music?

G485 has so much content! It's interesting though :smile: Haven't decided where I'm applying yet but it'll probably be similar to last time, so physics and a couple physics and music probably :biggrin: Are you still going for natural sciences?
Original post by Cammybl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woo music! :biggrin: Distinction though :eek: I have grade 8 pass in my first instrument and merit in my second which is a bit weird- should have done a lot better on my first one though :unimpressed: High choices there though! :redface:
I still haven't done the biology homework I got for the holidays and I go back next week -_- Also, I'm so scared about starting A2 Maths and Chemistry :frown:
Woo music! :biggrin: Distinction though :eek: I have grade 8 pass in my first instrument and merit in my second which is a bit weird- should have done a lot better on my first one though :unimpressed: High choices there though! :redface:

Haha yeah just a bit I wouldn't worry though from what I've heard so long as you can play/ prove that you're at that level you'll be fine! What's your first instrument? piano ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cammybl
Wow! What subject are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, not grade 8 Trumpet, that's this years thing...
Maths :L
Original post by Cammybl
Haha yeah just a bit I wouldn't worry though from what I've heard so long as you can play/ prove that you're at that level you'll be fine! What's your first instrument? piano ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a lot better now than I was then and I should have done better at the time, so should be able to :smile: Nope, flute :biggrin: Not done much piano at all so I need to do some of that this year, I didn't take A level music though so it's kind of difficult to apply for music at all :redface: I will apply for some combined courses with it though if I can :yep:
G485 has so much content! It's interesting though :smile: Haven't decided where I'm applying yet but it'll probably be similar to last time, so physics and a couple physics and music probably :biggrin: Are you still going for natural sciences?

Oh fun :tongue:

Nice! :biggrin: yeah, but chem too! Excited for ucas all over again?
Oh fun :tongue:

Nice! :biggrin: yeah, but chem too! Excited for ucas all over again?

Urghh, chemistry! :tongue: Ahh, not looking forward to that one... Need to find out what the rules are on resubmitting basically the same personal statement :lol:
Urghh, chemistry! :tongue: Ahh, not looking forward to that one... Need to find out what the rules are on resubmitting basically the same personal statement :lol:

Hmmmm... Pretty sure you can :tongue: maybe change it a tiny bit
Omg the ucas form is so annoying shbsjfhbsfbsdfdsfsfds

Latest