The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gob Bluth
You also said you'd win the title last season i believe?

No signs you will suddenly find form just like that as you have been horrendous for the 4 games under Van Gaal and terrible for a season before that. At the moment it's amusing that top 4 is not seen as a pipe dream. You may have some fantastic players now, but being a team is what gets you there at the end of the day, and that is why Liverpool and Arsenal will get those 2 spots.

No. You're probably thinking of Manchester United.

But Arsenal have been terrible as well. Outplayed by Everton but rescued a point with 2 late goals. Scraped a 2-1 win against Palace with a last minute goal. Drew with Leicester. They only have 3 more points than us, and we should've had 1/2 penalties in the last game taking us 1 behind them. And now they're looking like having a guy who's never scored for them as their main striker for three months. What about that suggests they'll comfortably finish above us?
Original post by manchesterunited15
No. You're probably thinking of Manchester United.

But Arsenal have been terrible as well. Outplayed by Everton but rescued a point with 2 late goals. Scraped a 2-1 win against Palace with a last minute goal. Drew with Leicester. They only have 3 more points than us, and we should've had 1/2 penalties in the last game taking us 1 behind them. And now they're looking like having a guy who's never scored for them as their main striker for three months. What about that suggests they'll comfortably finish above us?

Arsenal are like this season after season though. They've been dodgy for the past 3 or 4 seasons to be exact, playing crap, and churning out results. They did it time and time again last season winning in the last minute so often.

I would actually prefer you to get top 4 over Arsenal, and then see you get knocked out of the CL qualifier, but alas it won't happen.
Arsenal are like this season after season though. They've been dodgy for the past 3 or 4 seasons to be exact, playing crap, and churning out results. They did it time and time again last season winning in the last minute so often.

I would actually prefer you to get top 4 over Arsenal, and then see you get knocked out of the CL qualifier, but alas it won't happen.

The thing is previously there's only been 4 serious challengers for top 4 so they could get it even with their collapses and injuries and whatever else. Now there's 5 so they might not get away with it.
They started brilliantly last year and then collapsed at the end, so if we're using previous seasons as a guide that's already wrong.
Reply 1483

:drool:

that would be epic
The thing is previously there's only been 4 serious challengers for top 4 so they could get it even with their collapses and injuries and whatever else. Now there's 5 so they might not get away with it.
They started brilliantly last year and then collapsed at the end, so if we're using previous seasons as a guide that's already wrong.

They got 79 points last season. 73 the season before that. Do you really see yourself bettering totals like that?
Yes. We've been playing with 5 of our first 11 ffs...

please stop saying that, it's getting old now.
except for herrera in CM, i'm honestly not even sure if the other absentees would've made any difference.

Original post by samir12
Half of your full strength team will be new signings, it will take some time before they start playing as a team rather than as individuals. In that time United could drop more points widening the gap between their top 4 rivals and themselves. LvG should of made signings a lot earlier in the window to give time for them to settle like Rodgers did. United's easy fixture list would of been perfect to get new signings bedded in.

exactly - they're already 4 points down on us and are yet to play a toguh game while we have already gotten through two top 6 away fixtures.

yes they may improve and start beating the likes of swansea and sunderland, but what happens when they come up against city or chelsea?
these teams are stronger thasn they are with players already integrated in to the squad.

as you correctly say, by the time they become formidable, they might just be too far behind to make top 4, certainly not the title.
Reply 1486

Nope, still only 4. Sorry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
please stop saying that, it's getting old now.
except for herrera in CM, i'm honestly not even sure if the other absentees would've made any difference.

I'll keep saying it because people keep saying we've been bad then ignore the injuries.

Shaw and Rafael? You know, actual full/wing backs.
Blind, to offer more cover than just a 30 year old guy who's been terribly ill.
They got 79 points last season. 73 the season before that. Do you really see yourself bettering totals like that?

It's certainly realistic, which is all I said in the first place.
-Rojo
-Blind
-Di Maria if he goes on the wing

We've been playing 2 if not 1 of our first choice back 5.

who would be in your back 5 were they all fit?

I'll keep saying it because people keep saying we've been bad then ignore the injuries.

Shaw and Rafael? You know, actual full/wing backs.
Blind, to offer more cover than just a 30 year old guy who's been terribly ill.

you've been bad regardless - your injured players would've made little difference.

shaw is decent but not amazing, and rafael is good at best.
neither would've made a significant impact on your games so far.

you're just delusional right now - you think that if you throw enough money at your team, they'll suddenly win every game instantly.
tnis isn't a video game, football really doesn't work like that.

rodger's first season wasn't good but look at his team now.
a good number of the same players going from outside european places to runners up.
almost no manager can come in to a club and have an immediate, consistent impact.

you will get better i have no doubt of that, but there's no reason to suggest that you will immediately become the best team in the league just because you sign di maria and falcao out of desperation.
Original post by Lúcio
who would be in your back 5 were they all fit?

Shaw-Rojo-Evans-Jones-Rafael

you've been bad regardless - your injured players would've made little difference.

How can you possibly say this? The idea that we'd play just as well with less than half our first 11 out is crazy.

you will get better i have no doubt of that, but there's no reason to suggest that you will immediately become the best team in the league just because you sign di maria and falcao out of desperation.

No-one's saying best team in the league. Lol at signing Di Maria and Falcao being desperation, just think about what you're saying there.
It's certainly realistic, which is all I said in the first place.

Excellent, you should put that in your sig then :biggrin:
Shaw-Rojo-Evans-Jones-Rafael

How can you possibly say this? The idea that we'd play just as well with less than half our first 11 out is crazy.

No-one's saying best team in the league. Lol at signing Di Maria and Falcao being desperation, just think about what you're saying there.

shaw - overrated youngster; good but not amazing.
rojo - we have absolutely no idea if he'll be any good or not in this league.
evans - lol. just lol.
jones - probably your best current CB; can be shaky but works well if paired with somebody else competent.
rafael - been okay for a good few years, but nothing more than that.

i don't see how that 5 man defence would've gained you many more points than you currently have.
at most, you would maybe have 3 points from 3 draws from 3 easy games.

i'm just highlighting that the players you say are missing would not have had as big an impact on your games so far as you would think.
herrera for me is the only player that i think would've made a difference and that is purely because fletcher/cleverley have been so awful.

so you think you can just splurge out hundreds of millions and immediately be better than arsenal and liverpool?

i never said ADM and falcao weren't good signings, they were just desperate and overpriced.
you've easily spent the most in the entire league and you've barely even addressed your problems.
contrast that to us; we've made no big name signings but we've built a team with great levels of depth and most importantly we've strengthened our weakest areas.
You also said you'd win the title last season i believe? Shouldn't that be ing your sig? :lol:

No signs you will suddenly find form just like that as you have been horrendous for the 4 games under Van Gaal and terrible for a season before that. At the moment it's amusing that top 4 is not seen as a pipe dream. You may have some fantastic players now, but being a team is what gets you there at the end of the day, and that is why Liverpool and Arsenal will get those 2 spots.

In fact Jam's 2 quotes in August are completely fine, nothing wrong with them. Yours are far worse :lol:

In fact he said

'what makes you think Chelsea will catch up on the 20+ points on United to win the title' in the middle of the 12/13 season? I made a giant essay, which I said basically a striker and CM will propel us to the title and our style of play has changed from deep hoofball football to more expansive football while Hazard and Oscar were settling in. We have that now admittedly, so I expect us to win the title this season personally.

Yes I said it. But it's a top 3. Arsenal will be comfortably in 4th.
(edited 9 years ago)

You paid 59M for Di Maria.

You're paying Falcao 22M to have for a season before he most likely goes to Madrid.

Desperation is an understatement.
Original post by jam278
You paid 59M for Di Maria.

You're paying Falcao 22M to have for a season before he most likely goes to Madrid.

Desperation is an understatement.

Slightly overpriced but not to the extent people make out.

I like how you include the wages only with deals that you want to sound more expensive.

We're the richest team in England and it's not even close, this obsessing over £10m here and there is stupid.

I like how you include the wages only with deals that you want to sound more expensive.

We're the richest team in England and it's not even close, this obsessing over £10m here and there is stupid.

No. Because one's a transfer and the other is a loan ffs :rolleyes:

Are you stupid. It's like buying a house and paying for bills(Di Maria) hence you don't factor bills into the cost of the house and then renting a place(Falcao), you include the bills as part of the price for the period you have it's not your possession for however long you want it to be, it is the possession of the landlord, so you're essentially paying the Landlords bills because you are using the landlords possessions.

You're rich but if you don't make CL and keep on losing money your finances will drop and others will rise.
Reply 1497

You don't include wages in transfers because it is variable how long you will pay them for, but with loan deals, you are paying a specific amount so you CAN say how much they will cost you. If it's for someone who's not paid much, it's not really worth mentioning, but when it's the highest paid footballer in the world (after tax), it's kind of a massive factor.
Original post by Lúcio
shaw - overrated youngster; good but not amazing.
rojo - we have absolutely no idea if he'll be any good or not in this league.
evans - lol. just lol.
jones - probably your best current CB; can be shaky but works well if paired with somebody else competent.
rafael - been okay for a good few years, but nothing more than that.

Shaw - team of the season last year
Rojo - world cup finalist
Evans - United's best CB over the last 2 years. You're probably saying lol due to his mistake vs MK.
Rafael - team of the season 2 years ago

i don't see how that 5 man defence would've gained you many more points than you currently have.
at most, you would maybe have 3 points from 3 draws from 3 easy games.

i'm just highlighting that the players you say are missing would not have had as big an impact on your games so far as you would think.
herrera for me is the only player that i think would've made a difference and that is purely because fletcher/cleverley have been so awful.

Well no, with an improved defence at most we'd have 7 points from 3 games, given we scored in 2 of them.

By your own logic Blind would also have helped. Then we suddenly have a competent central midfield that can supply our beasty forward line.

so you think you can just splurge out hundreds of millions and immediately be better than arsenal and liverpool?

Or. Probably Arsenal unless something changes in the next few hours.

i never said ADM and falcao weren't good signings, they were just desperate and overpriced.

Not desperate at all. Signing the best true 9 in the world (SUG's words) and the key man in a Champions League win simply can't be called desperate.
Overpriced, possibly.

you've easily spent the most in the entire league and you've barely even addressed your problems.

That's appropriate since we easily make the most in the entire league. What were our problems? CM, winger, CB. We've signed all those.

contrast that to us; we've made no big name signings but we've built a team with great levels of depth and most importantly we've strengthened our weakest areas.

You need more depth as you have more games.
Shaw - team of the season last year
Rojo - world cup finalist
Evans - United's best CB over the last 2 years. You're probably saying lol due to his mistake vs MK.
Rafael - team of the season 2 years ago

Well no, with an improved defence at most we'd have 7 points from 3 games, given we scored in 2 of them.

By your own logic Blind would also have helped. Then we suddenly have a competent central midfield that can supply our beasty forward line.

Or. Probably Arsenal unless something changes in the next few hours.

Not desperate at all. Signing the best true 9 in the world (SUG's words) and the key man in a Champions League win simply can't be called desperate.
Overpriced, possibly.

That's appropriate since we easily make the most in the entire league. What were our problems? CM, winger, CB. We've signed all those.

You need more depth as you have more games.

Evans has been awful in the last two games. I don't even think he's well rated on your thread.

Once Rojo gets inevitably suspended or injured you'll be back to this horrifically bad back three. If you don't sign a CB today you officially have the most ridiculous transfer policy after Arsenal (let's be honest nobody can beat them).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest